Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!

Currently eyeing a 2015 Chevy Cruze LTZ (29k mileage) at about $18K all in (canuck bucks). Also pricing out a 2017 Chevy Cruze Diesel with "True North" package, $27,800 all-in, waiting for employee discount pricing as well (father worked at GM).

I drive a 2006 Saturn Vue V6. Wife's 2008 Pontiac G5 was written off a couple of weeks ago, so we're in the market for a replacement.

She wants leather, heated seats. Love the diesel option, but hard to find used (without tons of mileage). Test drive the LTZ yesterday, and it's fine, although not crazy about the 18" wheels (think it's "over the top"). Financing, and everything else is good.

Assuming I can snag the diesel around $26K, curious what the consensus here would be for paying $8k more to gain two years and 30K less mileage, plus having a much more fuel-efficient engine. Wife drives mainly city, about 1k/month.

Thanks, Paul

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
And I thought used cars were cheap up there.
You're talking 14.5k USD, more or less, for a loaded 2015 with average miles? That's 29 kmi not 29kkm, right?

I'd sell you my 2016/12Kmi LT for considerably less than that, but it doesn't have leather, although it does have heated seats and Bose audio, and I don't know if importing a US made car costs anything or if there's a problem with a licensing a car that came with a US rebuilt title.
The diesel seems like a fair price for new, but it'll never pay for itself with fuel savings if gas/diesel prices are similar to those around here.

If you can get a 2017 1.4L Premier for $16kUS or $20kCAD I'd consider that if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Assuming I can snag the diesel around $26K, curious what the consensus here would be for paying $8k more to gain two years and 30K less mileage, plus having a much more fuel-efficient engine. Wife drives mainly city, about 1k/month.
Mainly local city driving...go with the gas model.

As much fun as the diesel is to drive, it’s better suited for long hwy commutes. The fuel efficiency difference will never make up for the $8K premium.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2015 LTZ has 29,000 km, will negotiate a set of winter tires into the deal, taxes in for $18k. A 2017 Cruze Premier with sunroof, heated leather seats, Bose stereo is $26.5K all-in, minus GM employee discount. Would have to pick up a set of winters. Financing 0%.

Thank you for the offer for the 2016 LT. I've never done any cross-border vehicle importing, and time is of the essence right now. Currently leaning towards the new, will find out later today what my employee discount will be on the 2017's......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was buying a 2017 Chevy Cruze, the "premium" to go to the diesel 1.6L is only about $1250. Worth it? Hard to say, I've never driven a diesel before. That being said, the idea of getting amazing gas mileage for the 400+ mile trip we make to see relatives in Northern Ontario is intriguing.

The more number crunching I do, the more the buying new option (with the 2017 incentives) appears to be the way to go, as opposed to buying a used Cruze.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Drive the diesel, and drive a 2017 Premier and see what you think of each. The options on a Premier can put it anywhere from the 23-29K+ MSRP range, but they are knocking off 25% on Cruzes here.

The 1.6 TD is relatively quiet, and has nice low RPM grunt. The 1.4T has nice mid-range grunt and is very refined after the motor/trans warm up from cold temps. The 1.4 is a 40 mpg hwy car; the 1.6TD is a 50 MPG car easily.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Not sure how Canada is doing it but here in the States everybody can get the Employee Discount at least through the Holiday. Plus my dealer wants to give me 120% of my KBB trade on the 14 CRUZE. Even then with a fully mechanically covered contract until 2021 and only 16K on the Cruze now is not the time to bite!

Findlay Chevrolet Buick GMC [email protected]Hide
To

Hello,
I hope you are having a great day! I just wanted to take the time to forward an email I received from Rob Terry, Associate General Manager of Findlay Chevrolet Buick GMC. Our pre-owned inventory is running low and he is looking to do whatever it takes to replenish our used vehicle lineup. He has recognized your vehicle as potentially being a great candidate.
Please review the forwarded email and call me with any questions.
Sincerely,
Chris Bancroft
[HR][/HR]Begin forwarded message:
Scott's 2014 Chevrolet Cruze
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:43 PM
To: Chris Bancroft (Sales Director)
[HR][/HR]
Hi Chris,

Please contact Scott for me, ASAP.
need his Chevrolet Cruze. I have multiple people looking for that year, make and model. This will also be a great opportunity for you to discuss the details of our year-end “Blow Out Sale.” As you know, we are just shy of meeting our quota, so I’ll gladly give them up to 120% of Kelley Blue Book Value.

Don’t forget to mention that we have a Manufacturer’s Affiliate in-store for a special one-day event. He is helping us create Bonus Cash incentives and exclusive pricing on all new vehicles during this holiday season.

Please forward this email to Scott. I will honor this special offer now through Saturday, December 30th.

Let them know we need their vehicle! Happy Holidays!

Thanks,
Rob Terry, Associate General Manager
Findlay Chevrolet Buick GMC
2565 Laughlin View Dr.
Bullhead City, AZ 86429
928-444-8430
www.findlayaz.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pulled the pin and purchased a 2015 Chevy Cruze LTZ with the RS package. Replaced the OEM tires and put 225/45r18 BF Goodrich Comp T/A tires instead (part of the deal). Also put Michelin X-Ice xi3 (16") winter tires on it for now. Very happy with how it looks and drives. Had 29,500 km on it when purchased. Snagged a little more extended warranty as well to give me warranty until 60k.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Pulled the pin and purchased a 2015 Chevy Cruze LTZ with the RS package. Replaced the OEM tires and put 225/45r18 BF Goodrich Comp T/A tires instead (part of the deal). Also put Michelin X-Ice xi3 (16") winter tires on it for now. Very happy with how it looks and drives. Had 29,500 km on it when purchased. Snagged a little more extended warranty as well to give me warranty until 60k.
As one who has 3 Diesels, I think you did well to get the Gas for your mostly city driving. The Diesel emissions work pretty well provided there is some regular highway driving in the mix.. if its mostly city, it becomes only a matter of time before you have problems with the DPF. The regeneration (regen) of the DPF takes about 20 minutes, and is best done when driving highway. My 3 cars seem to be going into regen every 500 miles or so, with mixed driving, if it becomes more city, they go with less miles, and MPG takes a hit, as well as the effectiveness of the regen. If I do mostly highway, I've gone over 1000 miles between regen. You don't have to worry about regens with the gas engine. The money you saved, if applied to fuel costs will go a long, long way. I obviously love the Diesel, but they do well by me because I do have a drive profile that allows at least 30 minute drives in most cases, and I pay attention to the status of the emissions system to avoid problems.. this is more than most are willing or able to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! We're very happy with how everything transpired, and it's a very nice jammy car. Can't wait to put the 18" BF Goodrich wheels on this spring (looks very sharp)!

·
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From a driving perspective, the Cruze is going to get much more city driving than highway. We're very happy so far with the fuel economy (versus the old Pontiac G5), in winter we were getting 10L/100k with the 2.2L engine, now with the 1.4L turbo we are getting about 8.3L/100k. We were potentially looking at a 2017 Diesel, but the inventories were pretty low, and hard to find. Thanks to everyone for their input on our purchase. A wise man has many advisors!

·
2,170 Posts
From a driving perspective, the Cruze is going to get much more city driving than highway. We're very happy so far with the fuel economy (versus the old Pontiac G5), in winter we were getting 10L/100k with the 2.2L engine, now with the 1.4L turbo we are getting about 8.3L/100k. We were potentially looking at a 2017 Diesel, but the inventories were pretty low, and hard to find. Thanks to everyone for their input on our purchase. A wise man has many advisors!
I came from a Cobalt (Same as G5) with the same 2.2L engine. I thought that car was pretty efficient, until I got the Cruze. IF you can stay out of boost and drive reasonably, it gets incredible fuel mileage that rivaled some hybrids more than twice the price at the time. However, I found out shortly after, the 1.4L engine is picky and it really does prefer to burn 91+ octane. The car's computers can sense knock when you're running 87 and it can retard the engine timing to accept it, but you will suffer with less throttle response, less fuel economy, and less power as a result. There's a whole debate on the forum about which fuel to use and which one gets is more cost efficient to run but I've decided on 93 octane from top tier gas stations for my cruze. (If I know I'm going to burn the whole tank on the highway in one sitting, I might use 87 if I'm feeling broke and cheap)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the fuel tip Chevrasaki! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Premium (91+ octane) costs about 10% more than the 87 grade here in Canada presently. I can definitely justify it if the fuel economy is that much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts