Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after having the engine replaced at 84,000 miles these problems have popped up. First at the same 2 spots on the highway the CEL starts to flash and service stabilitytrak/traction control displays on dash only at those 2 specific hills on the highway nowhere else. second lately when i get in the car and put key in ignition, i turn the key to acc to roll down the windows and get service powersteering displayed on dash and windows dont move at all, after few seconds the go down but seems to be getting longer each time, finally today at lunch i went to my car as i do everyday, i get in, key in ignition and dash says service battery recharging system but dash says battery is at 14.4 volts and windows wouldn't go down immediately. i really love the car but cant take much more of this.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
after having the engine replaced at 84,000 miles these problems have popped up. First at the same 2 spots on the highway the CEL starts to flash and service stabilitytrak/traction control displays on dash only at those 2 specific hills on the highway nowhere else.
This is likely an engine misfire - that's what the flashing CEL means. And pulling a hill is a common place for the misfire to expose itself. The "service stabilitytrak/traction control" messages tend to accompany misfires.

It's not clear what year or motor you have - that might help in narrowing down the cause.

second lately when i get in the car and put key in ignition, i turn the key to acc to roll down the windows and get service powersteering displayed on dash and windows dont move at all, after few seconds the go down but seems to be getting longer each time, finally today at lunch i went to my car as i do everyday, i get in, key in ignition and dash says service battery recharging system but dash says battery is at 14.4 volts and windows wouldn't go down immediately. i really love the car but cant take much more of this.
These cars have electric power steering. I suspect all the electrical issues are related. If the battery is going bad, or there's a bad connection to it, the voltage may sag when one of the motors begins to draw current. That can cause several related issues such as the ones you describe.

More diagnosis is needed, but I think this and the misfire are separate issues.

HTH.

Doug

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Sounds like a bad negative Battery Cable still covered under Warranty. The 2 specific flashing hill thing, do you have a video?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a 2016 cruze with im told a 2014 engine. Now the enigine misfire and pulling a hill would be a good reason except im going down hill at the time it goes off so no strain on the engine and i go up and down hills alot steeper than these 2 during my commute why only these 2 spots?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 2016 negative battery cable does not have a recall and im told its not covered under warranty i will try and post a video as soon as i get 1

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
its a 2016 cruze with im told a 2014 engine. Now the enigine misfire and pulling a hill would be a good reason except im going down hill at the time it goes off so no strain on the engine and i go up and down hills alot steeper than these 2 during my commute why only these 2 spots?
Do your ears pop going down the hill? If there's an appreciable pressure change, maybe the MAP sensor isn't picking it up and making adjustments accordingly. Or maybe it's slow to make the adjustments.

Do you know, is your engine turbocharged? Or normally aspirated?

Doug

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
no my ears do not pop going down hills and yes it is turbocharged
I won't be much help on a turbocharged motor.

To be clear, in summary, you're getting a flashing CEL - mis-fire - going down hills. This sounds like a pressure sensing issue. But before chasing it, I'd address the other issues first. Fix the battery cable, and get the battery load tested. Make sure that stuff is in good working order. Then see if the flashing CEL goes away.

When you let off the gas going down hill, the engine will rock a bit which could disturb a bad electrical connection around the motor, which in turn could affect the engine computer, but that's a long shot. I'd expect the engine to die rather than merely mis-fire if that were the case.

Get the cable fixed first, then go from there.

HTH.

Doug

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
First, replace your battery. The 2016s have the new battery cable so they aren't covered but your battery is now over three years old. Don't even bother with a static battery tester as static testing will pass batteries that will not work in the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Moved to Gen 1 Service Issues. OP has a powertrain and a non-powertrain issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flashing CEL and service stabilitytrak and then service traction control display on dash, now there are some days i pass those 2 spots on the highway and it doesnt come on but 95% of the time it does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts