Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
From what I can tell from the owners manual for 17.

The wattage appears to be the same.

My house has really low watt bulbs and light brighter then the old higher wattage bulbs.

Are there car bulbs that can go brighter with lower wattage?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Filament bulbs produce more light per watt and less hours per bulb the hotter you run them.
Just imagine running a 10V 35W bulb in place of a 12V 55W bulb. They might both draw around 55W at 13.5V, but the 10V bulb will be brighter and the 12V bulb will last longer.
That's the concept behind the same watt +30 bulbs.

Something tells me you might not get over 100 hours from a "+100" bulb.

The opposite is the long life or super long life bulb.
Put one in a hard to access stairwell ceiling fixture at my parents' house when we built it in 1987.
It's still working after 30 years. It is visibly more yellow than a normal bulb, but you don't notice it unless you're looking for it.

I found the calculations for output vs voltage here, the output increases at greater than the cube of the voltage, so a 6% increase in voltage equals a 22% increase in output. Lower on that page somebody gives the bulb life formula as an inverse function of the 13th power of voltage (raising the volts from 13.2 to 14 cuts the life to slightly less than half).

If you look at the one star reviews for the Phillips +100 at Amazon, you'll see comments like "my original bulbs lasted 5 years, these lasted 8 months".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts