Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I thought I was a member already but went to post and found I was not. (it was the sonic owners forums).
I have been a reader of both forums since I purchased my 2011 ECO in may of 2014 with 11,500 miles
The previous owner dipped everything that was chrome\shiny aluminum and tinted the windows.
I have added a boost gauge, swapped in LEDs for the headlights, interior - trunk - glove-box, and reverse lights.
The car has not been driven in the winter or even on dirt roads and I take very good care of since it is the most expensive I have ever purchased.
I work 3 jobs and wanted to have something newer that I would not have to spend as much time maintaining as my other 120,000+ mile vehicles.
I live in SE Michigan just south of Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti. I am a new father to a beautiful baby girl born in August 2016.
What prompted me to join and start posting was that at 42,480 miles the engine all but died in what appears to be the cracked piston issue.

HTML:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/7582-gm-finally-admitting-there-problem-1-4l-pistons.html
Thanks for reading and I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome! looks great, I am thinking about blacking out on my red hatch, so its good to see more example.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just to update, it was a cracked piston. Compression test shows 210 on 3 of the cylinders and 90 on the fourth one (the one nearest to the trans). I put some oil down into the bad cylinder and the compression went up to 180 so that pretty much confirms the piston/rings. The head should be OK.
Originally I was going to pull the head and replace the pistons. I also figured while I was in there I would port the head and put stronger springs on. I found that the cost of parts for this engine are retarded so instead I will let the car accidentally catch fire and use the insurance money for another car.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
So just to update, it was a cracked piston. Compression test shows 210 on 3 of the cylinders and 90 on the fourth one (the one nearest to the trans). I put some oil down into the bad cylinder and the compression went up to 180 so that pretty much confirms the piston/rings. The head should be OK.
Originally I was going to pull the head and replace the pistons. I also figured while I was in there I would port the head and put stronger springs on. I found that the cost of parts for this engine are retarded so instead I will let the car accidentally catch fire and use the insurance money for another car.
What parts are you looking at? An entire used engine can be had for under a grand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts