Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I lost my mechanic in gaining my freedom. The internet is an amazing thing. So here I am already learning from you knowledgeable people. My last oil change they did not have the right filter. So they said the cleaned out the old one and put in new oil, the next day I returned they had correct filter. I told them to please put in new oil with the new filter. Now a week later the check engine light comes on over the holiday weekend, so no driving anywhere for me, keeps me from spending money. So any comments? Thank you in advance. Nan:usa:
God bless our country and Thank you all who have served and are currently.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would change oil changing places. I avoid the quick change shops like the plague. If you are in a new location ask some neighbors if they can recommend a reputable good mechanic or go to the dealer. Hopefully this wasn't a dealer that did the work. If it was a dealer try finding another one if you can. I know in remote towns there may only be one dealer that is within a tolerable drive. I would also make a complaint to GM if this was dealer. Seems that is the only way these companies get better is complain to corporate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So I lost my mechanic in gaining my freedom. The internet is an amazing thing. So here I am already learning from you knowledgeable people. My last oil change they did not have the right filter. So they said the cleaned out the old one and put in new oil, the next day I returned they had correct filter. I told them to please put in new oil with the new filter. Now a week later the check engine light comes on over the holiday weekend, so no driving anywhere for me, keeps me from spending money. So any comments? Thank you in advance. Nan:usa:
God bless our country and Thank you all who have served and are currently.
As much as I do my own work because I have had many issues, even at dealership service places, I would in your case strongly advise against any service places other than the dealership. There is no cleaning a disposable filter, and I'd be very concerned that they didn't even use the correct oil, and that can be a very, very expensive mistake. A DPF is well over $1000. The correct oil and filters can be purchased via amazon.com. The prior post is correct on this also, if a dealership did as you describe, that is a big problem. Get the oil change and filter done again, ASAP, and request a refund from the one's that did that service, there is no cleaning that filter, and they could have damaged it to where it passes particles when they "cleaned" it. Good luck, there are many here who have considerable experience, reach out when needed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Did anyone teach you how to look at your dipstick to learn if there is any oil in your engine? With four daughters, really seem to be targets for shops. Screwed my youngest recently, telling her drive belt was bad when I just put on a brand new Delco for 14 bucks, told her she was going to die being stranded someplace, charged her 110 bucks for a cheap aftermarket one. Also told her, her hub bearings were bad, 650 bucks for new ones. Nothing wrong with her hub, stones were inserted between the rotor and shields.

Encouraged her to come home, somebody over tightened her rear caliper brakes cables, brakes were dragging like crazy, had her tires rotated, left side was over 250 ft lbs of torque, right side, the lug nuts were ready to fall over. Have no idea what kind of oil they put in, was over a quart low. This list goes on for all four of them.

Could be your drain plug was not properly torqued, also ran into this, oil was dripping out, others, torqued so tight, stripped the threads.

Not sure about the diesel, everything else requires dexos approved oil, do you have a dad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info, The losing a mechanic was a joke, meaning my x-husband was my mechanic. I have always taken to dealer, they are the ones who cleaned the filter since they did not have the correct one available. I will bring my computer in and show them your comments. I am very concerned with the lack of honestly from them. Thank you

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thank you all for the info, The losing a mechanic was a joke, meaning my x-husband was my mechanic. I have always taken to dealer, they are the ones who cleaned the filter since they did not have the correct one available. I will bring my computer in and show them your comments. I am very concerned with the lack of honestly from them. Thank you
Insist that they do a new oil change with a new filter and it should be at no additional charge. If they hesitate, ask them for the technical information that allows them to "clean" a disposable filter element.. (doesn't exist, the very reason it's an element style vs. a metal can style disposable is to cut down on waste). I had the dealership do my complimentary oil changes since the car was new.. first one I did I found the drain plug hand tight, leaking, and it had a metal crush seal that is supposed to be replaced, it appeared to have been reused. I've had a dealership on another car forget the fill cap.. on my truck the oil filter has to be torqued, it's a diesel.. the one time I had a dealership do a change, only because it was free.. next time I did it that filter was hand tight. Some reasons I do my own work. I have 2 Cruze Diesels, and 3 other vehicles.. also subscribe to the specific Diesel sections of this site, there is extensive helpful technical information within, you may even be able to teach the dealership a thing or two if you read up. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: pacolino

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the community!

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Welcome!

All good info above. As for your check engine light. If you are concerned as to what it could be. Places like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Riley's will read the code for you and let you know what the problem is. Then it will give you and indication if you can drive it without concern until the dealership opens. You can post the code here and we can help as well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This is the oil filter, I'm assuming you have a 2014 or 2015 Cruze Diesel. The bag on the right contains a drain plug seal, both can be ordered via Amazon. These are for my next oil change for my wife's car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Its not like I am picking on my daughter, she is brilliant in her own field of expertise that does not include automotive. Really doesn't know the difference between the CEL, Bat, Oil, or TPMS lights, but she does know if any of those are on, she has a problem.

Ha, with the new stuff loaded with icons, even I have to look up in the owners manual what they mean, use to have English. Not very good at Egyptian hieroglyphs either, these icons are not much different.

Just a possibility its not the check engine light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts