Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the car ads every Saturday and today's Little Rock paper has an ad for new 2012 Cruze LS models for $14,995. It even includes low interest financing. I'm not affiliated with the dealership - I'm just posting to give folks an idea of pricing so they know how hard to bargain when they go shopping.

These cars are a very good value at such a low price.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Be careful with ads that sound too good to be true, they usually are. Below is an actual invoice of a $17,540 Cruze from Gwatney Chevrolet. I circled the MSRP of $17,540 and the Invoice Amount of $17,198.25. Based on the zip code in that area there are no rebates available (but the 2.9% for 60 is legit). Taking out holdback and advertising the dealer's net cost is $16,442.70. If you go further and remove the destination charge you are still at $15,692.70. Even a GM Employee will pay $17,048.87 for that Cruze, barring any other private offers from GM such as loyalty mailers, etc. Most dealerships sell at Invoice so to get to $14,995 there is something else going on. Buyer beware.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
My former car dealer (the first person i talked to before i found another one in the same dealership).... he told me the Cruze starts off at $14-thousand-watever. it has to be the most basic-est model you could ever find... for that price.

then again.... they always price quote you (i.e) $22k.. and then come out wit the total price of $24k at the finance office and ur like WTF... soo.. i could see that. pretty sure, you're allowed to use that ad... for negotiating to get THAT price. but ofcourse, APR is always based on credit approval.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My former car dealer (the first person i talked to before i found another one in the same dealership).... he told me the Cruze starts off at $14-thousand-watever. it has to be the most basic-est model you could ever find... for that price.

then again.... they always price quote you (i.e) $22k.. and then come out wit the total price of $24k at the finance office and ur like WTF... soo.. i could see that. pretty sure, you're allowed to use that ad... for negotiating to get THAT price. but ofcourse, APR is always based on credit approval.
The only way to get any more basic than the Cruze that I showed the invoice for is to not order the license plate bracket and cargo net which total a whopping $70 between the two. I keep seeing these ads for the low prices but have yet to see how they actually get there. I work at a dealer and we have never sold a Cruze anywhere near these prices. I wish we could but they are simply not realistic numbers. I guarantee that any dealer that was actually selling Cruzes that were discounted like this would not have a single one left in stock. That particular dealer has 18 LS models still in stock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Only other hope is that it'll get butts through the door, and they'll switch them up to an LT or something. The one in the picture is definitely not an LS, or the $14K model.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure it's a legitimate valid deal. Last week a different dealer in the Little Rock area had 5 new Cruze LS stock numbers listed in their ad in the same paper at $14,995. I bought my LS in July at $15,995. There are many, many Cruze LS models in inventory around here. I don't work in the car business so I can't explain how their doing it but I'm positive you could have bought a $15k Cruze if you reacted quickly enough to the ad.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
That's a classic "loss leader" move. They have 1 car at that price. Then you have to look at other LS models that strangely cost $17k.

I bet it's $15k after every single rebate they could apply, and them eating some of the cost. It makes for a nice round number, but is a truly base LS.

If somebody is happy with a really base LS, they can get a great deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a classic "loss leader" move. They have 1 car at that price. Then you have to look at other LS models that strangely cost $17k.

I bet it's $15k after every single rebate they could apply, and them eating some of the cost. It makes for a nice round number, but is a truly base LS.

If somebody is happy with a really base LS, they can get a great deal.
ding ding. thats it...
That price includes discount for getting "gm finance" and military ..
Also "** " on the bottom of ad will say something about "model/level/color ect can be misprinted""

·
Registered
26 Posts
Word of advice when doing a finance and if you have excellent credit probably 800+, have them use Harris Bank. I bought my cruze back in April and they had the 2.9 deal going on, the dealer used harris bank instead and got me 2.1 for 60 months. Just say I will go back to that dealer when it's trade in time in a few years. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh yeah, we have a dealer here advertising a cruze for like 15995 I think a everyones price they say, so it's not impractical you can get one for that. But don't know if it's true or not though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
personally i didnt like how my dealer only had 1 LTZ and 2 ECO's meanwhile they had 6 LS /LT models...so its either i custom order a cruze and wait a long time or bit the bullet and dont exactly get what i want in my cruze. They need some sort of variety of the higher end cruzes at dealers IMO

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or they hope to upsell you to an LT or LTZ :)

I worked in the retail electronics biz a decade ago. They'd often advertise a 25" TV for $50 under cost to get butts in the door. However, you didn't want to be the one who sold that TV - because it cost you a negative commission to sell that thing. If you couldn't upsell the customer, the best course of action was to sell it quickly (or tack on an extended warranty that made you $$$) and move on to another customer to make up the loss.

Any customer who was standing in front of that TV might as well have had the black plague, nobody wanted to get within shouting distance of them lest they have to sell them that TV...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've seen dealers advertise below invoice prices like that, but the * usually references military rebates, credit union rebate, and some amount of GMcard rebate. Of course very few if any would qualify for all those rebates and credits, but it probably works to get people in the door.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've seen dealers advertise below invoice prices like that, but the * usually references military rebates, credit union rebate, and some amount of GMcard rebate. Of course very few if any would qualify for all those rebates and credits, but it probably works to get people in the door.
You're right, plus you usually have to add destination as well. It gets people in the door but it tends to pi$$ them off too. I have sold a number of cars to people who walked out on other dealers from that type of advertising.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Price seems pretty common around here. This is the current advertisement from my dealership for the LS. FWIW, I got my Eco from them for $16,600 OTD back in March.
2012 Chevrolet Cruze for sale in Bolingbrook - 1G1PD5SH3C7190853 – Advantage Chevrolet of Bolingbrook
* Pricing includes all rebates and incentives in lieu of any special APR thru Ally or GM Financial

How many hidden/impossible rebates are they throwing in there? College grad, farm credit council, military, GM Loyalty, etc? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts