Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys seen the spy photos of the next generation Cruze with the black and white camo finish?

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Interior Revealed in Spy Photos » AutoGuide.com News

Wow, that thing looks proportioned just like a Prius to me. :dazed002:

Based on what I've read, I'm assuming any manual transmission and cloth seat option for the diesel probably won't be released till the next gen comes out and about the only thing that could keep me from buying one at that point is looks. I'll wait to see one in final trim without camo but what I've seen so far is not looking all that attractive. I was hoping for more of a scaled down Impala or Malibu.

I'm hoping there will be other body styles like a wagon or more of a sedan available at that point. Does anyone know about this?

TIA

Joe

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have seen some renderings that make it look like an Impala

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have seen some renderings that make it look like an Impala
I've seen those renderings as well, but they don't seem to jive much with the mule photos. The mule seems to be a hybrid of the Sonic (front) and Malibu (back).

To the OP, there is very little information out there other than speculation regarding the 2nd gen Cruze.

There have been all sorts of rumors including offering a hatchback version; perhaps either a 1.5L turbo or a 1.6L turbo gas motor; and perhaps a 1.6L diesel (less powerful but more efficient than the 2.0L in the current diesel Cruze).

I have yet to see anything even hinting there might be a manual diesel, unfortunately. In fact, somewhere on here is a slightly older thread (in the Ask GM section maybe?) where the GM rep said there were no plans for a manual diesel Cruze. Granted, if there were, they couldn't release that info on here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Diesel Cruze is too narrow a segment to split it further with a manual. Impossible to recover costs at this scale. For comparison sake, Chevrolet is rumored to offer a manual in the SS next year for an *upcharge* of a couple thousand dollars.

The EPA may also be a big driver for automatic only in the diesels. Emissions are much easier to calibrate with the computer watching your every move.

Offer a hatch and a heated steering wheel standard, and perhaps my mouth would water a little. But I just took on a five year loan... :disgust: will be keeping the one I have for a while.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,232 Posts
Cruze Hatchback headed for America?

I'm still confused on why GM didn't bring the hatchback Cruze to the US. I love the look of the hatchback Cruze.
Forbes Magazine reports:

General Motors North America President Mark Reuss wants the automaker to launch a modern-day station wagon, as well as a hatchback version of the Chevrolet Cruze, according to Forbes.

Mark Reuss talked about the holes in GM’s North American lineup over lunch Monday in Detroit, hinting at what might be next in GM’s showrooms. Among vehicles and categories discussed, Mr Reuss specifically addressed the Chevrolet Cruze.

Reuss told Forbes that the decision not to sell a hatchback version of the Chevrolet Cruze in the U.S. was, "a pre-bankruptcy planning mistake." A five-door Chevrolet Cruze is sold in Europe, as well as a wagon version, but not Stateside where it would compete with hatchback versions of the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus. Even without the presence of a hatchback version here, the Chevrolet Cruze sedan is one of GM's most successful vehicles, with 211,862 sold so far this year.

As for the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze, expected to debut next year, Reuss says, "the next-generation will blow you away." Based on Reuss's remarks, it's appears there's a strong possibility a hatchback version of the next-gen Cruze will be sold in America.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've seen those renderings as well, but they don't seem to jive much with the mule photos. The mule seems to be a hybrid of the Sonic (front) and Malibu (back).

To the OP, there is very little information out there other than speculation regarding the 2nd gen Cruze.

There have been all sorts of rumors including offering a hatchback version; perhaps either a 1.5L turbo or a 1.6L turbo gas motor; and perhaps a 1.6L diesel (less powerful but more efficient than the 2.0L in the current diesel Cruze).

I have yet to see anything even hinting there might be a manual diesel, unfortunately. In fact, somewhere on here is a slightly older thread (in the Ask GM section maybe?) where the GM rep said there were no plans for a manual diesel Cruze. Granted, if there were, they couldn't release that info on here.
Funny, the gmauthority site is hosing ads for the Chrysler 200

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That would suck and kinda reinforce my original concerns that GM is looking at sales of the currently offered version as indicative of true demand for diesel vehicles when it's really not.

Well, I have to remember that despite the recent improvements, this is still the company that killed off the Corvair and Fiero right about the time they were pretty good cars, and I am old enough to have taken my driving test in mom's 66 Corvair ragtop. That was a really good car, except for the **** automatic transmission. Not that it was a bad automatic, it just wasn't a manual.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Chevrolet is rumored to offer a manual in the SS next year for an *upcharge* of a couple thousand dollars.
GM did the same thing with the 04 to 06 GTO. Automatic was the standard transmission and the 6 speed Tremec Manual was an upcharge - if I recall about $700.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen some renderings of the next gen without the camo of the spy photos and it looks pretty good. Good enough for me to wait and see what it actually looks like anyway, it's supposed to release mid 2014 from what I read. That will give more time for the manual transmission question to settle out.

I'd pay more than $700 to dump an automatic in favor of a manual. GM can either charge me $700 for a manual or not sell me a car, it's their choice. Not that they probably care, haha.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
61 Posts
My daily driver for a little over 3 years was a Cobalt SS with a 5spd manual in it. My wife just would not drive it, so even if a manual was offered in the diesel when I decided to trade I wouldn't have got one. After having the car for a few months I'm still surprised how much I enjoy driving it. I thought I would miss a manual a lot more than I have. Of course it helps that my toy is in the garage is a manual. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't immediately dismiss the Cruze diesel without taking one for a spin.

I would love to see Chevy at least offer one. But the reality is that more and more young people just don't seem to be interested in rowing gears anymore. The demand for them just seems to be drying up. Which is a shame. A manual is a more engaging experience and can be a lot of fun. But with today's market I think we'll see less and less manuals out there. I don't thin I would put the chances of the Cruze diesel with it's torque requirements as very high to receive one. Again it would be awesome if it did.

There would probably be more benefit in more gears in an auto for the existing 2.0 platform. I know with the current gearing at least one more gear could be used frequently for highway cruising which would be a nice mileage boost. I could see the car using an 8 spd auto nicely.

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
Does anyone know if a diesel is a sure thing for gen ll Cruze?

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Kinda looks pretty lame to me lol, that interior is just awful....too funky IMO. I really hope I see something nicer. Have you guys seen the 2015 Chevy SS? that's impressive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't have any doubts. GM is still developing small displacement diesels and I think we'll see them offered in other models besides the Cruze in a few years.

·
1,232 Posts
Next Gen Cruze Diesel for North America?

Tomko,

I believe it's safe to assume there'll be one or more variants of a diesel-powered next generation Cruze, but that doesn't necessarily mean any of them are a 'sure thing' to be offered in the North American marketplace ... at least initially.

With GM's recently publicized new family of small displacement petrol-fuelled Ecotec engines near at hand, engines that offer both enhanced fuel efficiency and significantly improved performance, a second generation diesel Cruze may not make a strong and compelling business case for either manufacturer or consumer.

More's the pity if you've got your heart set on a next-generation oil burner, but we'll just have to wait and see.

·
1,232 Posts
GM's recently publicized new family of small displacement petrol-fuelled Ecotec engines (are) near at hand, engines that offer both enhanced fuel efficiency and significantly improved performance.
GM preps more fuel efficient engine family for small cars

Automotive News

March 19, 2014 - 9:19 am ET -- UPDATED: 3/19/14 12:56 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors is creating a family of more fuel efficient small engines that it says will be quieter and more refined than those found in some rival models. The suite of engines will consist of 11 powerplants ranging from a 1.0-liter turbocharged three-cylinder to a 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four, the company said today.

GM and other automakers are under pressure from consumers and regulators worldwide to hike fuel economy and lower emissions across the board without sacrificing power or performance.

The three-cylinder engine is notable because rival Ford Motor Co. has been selling a highly regarded three-cylinder engine since fall in the Fiesta subcompact. Ford’s three-cylinder engine also will be available in the 2015 Focus compact.

GM did not disclose how much it expects the new engines to boost the fuel efficiency of its small-vehicle lineup.

Aluminum blocks, heads

GM’s new engines, unveiled today at the company’s sprawling powertrain engineering headquarters north of Detroit, will have aluminum blocks and heads. They are modular, meaning that they can all be built on the same production line.

Production has begun on the first new Ecotec engine, a 1.0-liter turbo three-cylinder that debuts this spring in the Opel Adam small car sold in Europe. The redesigned 2015 Chevrolet Cruze that GM will show this year in China gets a new 1.4-liter turbo and a 1.5-liter nonturbo engine.

GM is not saying when it will launch the new Ecotec engines in North America or which vehicles they will power. But Chevrolet’s small cars, which generally lag the fuel economy of key rivals, are likely to be the first to receive the engines.

For instance, the Ford Fiesta with its optional 1.0-liter, three-cylinder engine has an EPA highway rating of 45 mpg, while the Chevrolet Sonic’s EPA highway fuel economy rating is 40 mpg. The new Mitsubishi Mirage, which has a 1.2-liter three-cylinder, has an EPA highway rating of 44 mpg.

Once all of the variants of the new Ecotec engines are in production in five plants around the world, annual volume will be as high as 2.5 million units, GM said.

If GM reaches the production target, the family of engines would represent roughly a quarter of the company’s annual global sales.

High tech

The new Ecotec engines will have:

• Double overhead cams with four valves per cylinder.

• Water-cooled exhaust manifolds that enable faster warm-ups and the car’s heater to deliver warm air quicker.

• Variable oil pumps that save energy by delivering only the amount of oil the engine needs based on speed, load and temperature.

• Piston cooling jets to control piston temperatures.

• Variable valve timing, which adjusts the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves and enables the engine to run more efficiently at different speeds.

Depending on the market and the application, some engines will be offered with direct fuel injection and turbocharging, which enables small displacement engines to deliver far more power. The engines also will be used in plug-in hybrids, such as the Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR.

With the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline sports cars, GM in 2007 was one of the first automakers to offer turbocharging, direct fuel injection and variable valve timing to boost power. The 2.0-liter engines in those cars were rated at 260 hp.

Ford later used the same suite of technologies branded as EcoBoost. Ford has sold 1.2 million EcoBoost-equipped vehicles since they were launched in 2010.

GM says the new Ecotec engines will offer more refinement than competitive engines from Ford and Volkswagen. The three-cylinder Ecotec, GM says, will be as much as three decibels quieter than Ford’s 1.0-liter three-cylinder.

“From the outset, the noise and vibration requirements for the new Ecotec family were targeted at class leading,” said Randy Guild, noise and vibration engineer for the global Ecotec engines. “Because we started with a clean-sheet design process, every component, from the cylinder block to the fuel injectors played a role in achieving segment-class refinement.”

The engines will be built in Flint, Mich.; Shenyang, China; Szentgotthard, Hungary; Toluca, Mexico; and Changwon, South Korea.

GM isn’t saying how much it is spending on the new Ecotec engines. But the company recently invested $200 million in its Flint plant to tool up for at least one variant.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Source: Automotive News
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
I don't have any doubts. GM is still developing small displacement diesels and I think we'll see them offered in other models besides the Cruze in a few years.
But the thing is that the diesel in the current gen Cruze was developed from a joint venture with Fiat. GM has since sold off its interests in vm motori.

Plus GM's big Powertrain announcement this week was silent on diesels.

So it is possible that the next gen Cruze may not have a diesel in the North American market. And that those waiting for the trifecta of cloth seats, manual transmission and a diesel motor may once again be disappointed.

Reactions: UlyssesSG

·
1,232 Posts
Next-Gen Cruze II
21 March 2014

“The first iteration of the next-gen Cruze will be announced later this year in China,” Holden’s executive director of corporate affairs, George Svigos, told GoAuto in an interview. “This all-new 2015 Cruze was developed specifically for consumer tastes and needs in China."

So, China gets the new Cruze first and it reportedly has been designed to cater to their unique automotive tastes. Does this mean our lot, our lot being the rest of the English-speaking world and Europe, gets the same?

Worrisome.

Source: GM Authority

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think they will offer a diesel. Ford announced they will be putting a diesel in the Focus. Once people realize American car manufactures can produce good reliable diesel cars they will catch on. I think Ford coming out with one will bring more attention to the CTD because more people will be researching or comparing diesel models.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts