Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to the scrap yard and picked up a spare tail light to practice tinting on. I wet sanded with 2000 grit then cleaned with gas, 3 coats of Nightshade starting with a light coat. It's cured for 24 hours now but I have golf ball sized dimples on most of the light. I sprayed about 7-8 inches away from the light with the can mostly at 90%.
Any ideas to why I've gotten these dots?

Does using the rubbing compound and meguiars correct this at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guesses would be contamination in the prep step (wasn't fully cleaned or degreased) or the coats were too thick. From my limited experience, thick coats can cause dimples or "orange peel" depending what kind of stuff you're using (plastidip vs spray paint vs tint spray etc). Might not be a bad idea to do another wet sanding step before you clear coat, and maybe add another coat or two if you burn through them with wet sanding. That should smooth it out, then repeat with the clear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok, I wasn't sure what orange peel ment. And I think I put the first coat on too thick. So that probably didn't help. I already put 2 light coats of clear on thinking it would help, apparently not. I'll try wet sanding then clear again. Would temperature have anything to do with it? It was 10 degrees c yesterday here

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,051 Posts
Usually paint does not like to be applied in colder temps like that.

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have to do a ton of prep work, I never did - just the standard making sure it's clean before painting it thing...

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I will bet that the spray can states to apply at 75 degrees. ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah spray it on a warmer day if possible. Also, I know the trick with plastidip is to set the can in warm water for a while before spraying to help with the spray pattern. Might be worth a shot with the nightshade as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah spray it on a warmer day if possible. Also, I know the trick with plastidip is to set the can in warm water for a while before spraying to help with the spray pattern. Might be worth a shot with the nightshade as well.
Ill give that a try. It's not suppose to warm up here for a while so I'll see what happens. Might have to resort to spraying in my basement then ventilate with a bunch of fans and open the windows

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
Ill give that a try. It's not suppose to warm up here for a while so I'll see what happens. Might have to resort to spraying in my basement then ventilate with a bunch of fans and open the windows
Niteshades isn't as potent as when I've sprayed Plastidip inside...don't ever do that, the entirety of your house will smell like what you'e painted in the basement, haha. Niteshades may still carry a bit too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used alcohol and only 3 very light coats, I didn't sand the lens because I've done it before with sanding and without and I havent noticed a difference in the integrity of the cure

I wanted to dim the aggressive red tailights it had, without affecting performance. so I spread it lightly, waiting about 12 hours, re installed the tails and I have no cracks bubbles or anything, there's a few spots, that if you look hard enough, you can see some inconsistencies in the spread, but that would be cleared up with going over with and darkening them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts