Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
2014 cruze LT 1.4t
Please read before posting basic checks, 10 years industry experience and have had several ASE certs over that time.
Work with cruze before, first cruze I've had that isn't just regular maintenance.

Only codes found, p0300 random misfire as hard code and pending. Trans code for slip in second gear, icey roads plus inexperienced driver, i believe to be conditions caused this to appear as she has gotten stuck in snow a few times already. And finally security system fault, the key is snapped and must be held together to turn over. Cycle key 3x clears that.
Battery had also died on her when she kept trying to start. This could also have caused PCM to loose codes, but the misfire is there, should have lost that too right?

This girls car started sputtering and dying around new years, now will not start.
Oil a touch low on dip stick, nothing to concern. Small Coolant leak at thermostat, but still plenty in the system to run.
New air filter, plugs and coil. Did coil last year so free to try again with warranty.
Check fuel rail valve, barely a drop. New pump/filter unit. Good pressure.
Still no fire.
Still only powertrain code is the 300 random misfire.
Change out crank sensor, which was stuck in block, obvious heat damage to plastic and even the pigtail on harness.
Remove carefully, replace, Repair and still no fire.

Learned today she used gas from her fathers garden shed when low one day around xmas. Checked tank and very obvious water.
Empty tank, fresh gas, half tank with dry gas, turn over while holding rail valve open to clear lines.
Still no fire.

Picking up noid lights from my shop tomorrow to check injectors.
Also will check compression in each cyl wile i have it apart agin.

I'm posting this because unless all 4 injectors were fouled by water i would expect some kind of fire.
Even a quick spur and sputter before dying again. But nothing. Just turns and turns.
Everything is the starting system short of the ignition control module has been replaced or comfirmed to be good.
Haven't changed ICM due to cost, and because I'm getting spark and fuel to rail so i do not believe it is what is preventing start.

If anyone has had a similar condition i want to know what you found to be the final result.
Will add on to this tomorrow with noid light diag on the injectors and pressure in cylinders.
I've never had a car not start with the parts that I've changed, at least enough to hopefully pull a code of something is all i ask of this **** beast.
Sick of changing parts and want it out of my garage.

I'm at a loss.
And no, i haven't done the cam sensors yet, but I'm not getting a code so I'm going to wait on those for now.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
You've got 4 coils. I'm assuming spark from all 4. If the plugs are dry then you know there's no fuel in the compression. Or you've got fuel and spark. If the plugs are wet then you've got fuel but no spark.

Now it's possible the injectors are flooding out the engine. jBut i have yet to hear of an ecm keeping the injectors turn on.

What's the compression? What's the fuel pressure number? Anything can show good pressure but without a gauge. Nothing will be certain. But you say you're not getting a drop from the valve. ??? You don't need to hold the valve open to bleed air. It will run out on it's own.

It could be a cam sensor. It could be a worn out timing chain or belt and the cam is off one tooth.

Pcm don't lose codes unless the battery goes dead enough that the pcm has not enough voltage to maintain memory. Semi's can have batteries disconnected and still not lose codes.

Most importantly. What's the miles on this car. Last article i read was 100,000 mile warranty. Car SHOULD be at a dealer instead of a garage. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
1) What is the odometer reading, please?

2) In 1981 I had a comparable experience with a 318. It turned out that the nylon coated timing chain skipped a tooth or two. I’d look to the timing belt on this 1.4 to see if something similar has happened. What are the cylinder compressions?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
You can tell when the chain or belt is off one tooth. There'd be no compression and the motor would crank over really easy.

BUT, another thing to check is making sure #1 sparks at TDC. If it's possible. And a timing light is still around.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others ... sounds like a timing issue, whether it be cam sensor or belt slipped. As snowwy said ... if it's under 100k miles, it should be still be covered by 100k mile drivetrain factory warranty. Keep us posted so if others come across similar issues, we'll know what to suspect earlier. Too bad you've spent all the time/money you already have if it ends up being the timing or cam position sensor :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snowy there is only 1 coil. It's as big as my arm and goes across all 4 plugs.
Only about 60k miles but dealer won't warranty because it was purchased from private party.
Will pop timing covers when i check injectors and compression later today too.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Snowy there is only 1 coil. It's as big as my arm and goes across all 4 plugs.
Only about 60k miles but dealer won't warranty because it was purchased from private party.
Will pop timing covers when i check injectors and compression later today too.
Call another dealership. The 2014 Cruze has a five year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that follows the car regardless of how many times it changes hands or how those changes occur. The only time this warranty would be voided is abuse of the vehicle such as flood damage or obvious, non-GM modifications to the engine that can be traced as the source of the problem. Don't tell the dealership about the lawnmower gas however as while this shouldn't void the warranty some dealerships will attempt to use it as an excuse.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Stop screwing around and throwing money at it and take it to dealer.

If they don't want to warranty. Complain to attorney general and chevrolet.

There's been links posted in the last couple of days for warranty information. There might even be 1-800 numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone.
2014 cruze LT 1.4t
Please read before posting basic checks, 10 years industry experience and have had several ASE certs over that time.
Work with cruze before, first cruze I've had that isn't just regular maintenance.

Only codes found, p0300 random misfire as hard code and pending. Trans code for slip in second gear, icey roads plus inexperienced driver, i believe to be conditions caused this to appear as she has gotten stuck in snow a few times already. And finally security system fault, the key is snapped and must be held together to turn over. Cycle key 3x clears that.
Battery had also died on her when she kept trying to start. This could also have caused PCM to loose codes, but the misfire is there, should have lost that too right?

This girls car started sputtering and dying around new years, now will not start.
Oil a touch low on dip stick, nothing to concern. Small Coolant leak at thermostat, but still plenty in the system to run.
New air filter, plugs and coil. Did coil last year so free to try again with warranty.
Check fuel rail valve, barely a drop. New pump/filter unit. Good pressure.
Still no fire.
Still only powertrain code is the 300 random misfire.
Change out crank sensor, which was stuck in block, obvious heat damage to plastic and even the pigtail on harness.
Remove carefully, replace, Repair and still no fire.

Learned today she used gas from her fathers garden shed when low one day around xmas. Checked tank and very obvious water.
Empty tank, fresh gas, half tank with dry gas, turn over while holding rail valve open to clear lines.
Still no fire.

Picking up noid lights from my shop tomorrow to check injectors.
Also will check compression in each cyl wile i have it apart agin.

I'm posting this because unless all 4 injectors were fouled by water i would expect some kind of fire.
Even a quick spur and sputter before dying again. But nothing. Just turns and turns.
Everything is the starting system short of the ignition control module has been replaced or comfirmed to be good.
Haven't changed ICM due to cost, and because I'm getting spark and fuel to rail so i do not believe it is what is preventing start.

If anyone has had a similar condition i want to know what you found to be the final result.
Will add on to this tomorrow with noid light diag on the injectors and pressure in cylinders.
I've never had a car not start with the parts that I've changed, at least enough to hopefully pull a code of something is all i ask of this **** beast.
Sick of changing parts and want it out of my garage.

I'm at a loss.
And no, i haven't done the cam sensors yet, but I'm not getting a code so I'm going to wait on those for now.
Did you ever find out why your car won't start? I am having similar problem with my 2011 Chevy Cruze here in the Philippines. I was having issues when first starting in the day and after sitting when I used it. The car acted as it was flooding. And I had to crank the engine for quite a while before it fired up and then it ran rough with black smoke before it smoothed out. Then it ran fine till next time I let the car sit without using it. Now it has gotten to the point of no starting. It has good fuel pressure new plugs and we tested the coil pack and it has spark. The timing belt was changed about 10000 miles ago probably less and the car was running fine but I did notice the temperature gauge was not moving to proper temp even it is hot here. Now the car is not starting at all and it is driving me crazy. I did get it to start next morning and again it ran rough and raw gas smell and black smoke out of the exhaust. It is running the battery down from extended crank times and will not start now again. There is no codes to help me as the battery went dead and I had to use my charger to bring it back to full charge. It is hard to find a GM trained mechanic where I live as my Chevy dealer is closed for good and I have to drive over an hour to the nearest one that is still open. But with it not starting I have a real problem. Also parts are rather hard to come by and the cost is high so please any help would be appreciated. It is like the injectors are letting to much gas into the engine. Oh yes the ECM was also replaced on this car about 4 years ago and it only has 77000 KM on it and I should not be having all these issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering if you found out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo. I've replaced everything you could think of..turbo, crankshaft sensor, ecm, every sensor on the car, catalytic converter, ect...but after putting the ecm in all the codes that were still showing disappeared, still no start though.....it turns over but won't start. Wondering if anyone has any input on this they could add??

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
Wondering if you found out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo. I've replaced everything you could think of..turbo, crankshaft sensor, ecm, every sensor on the car, catalytic converter, ect...but after putting the ecm in all the codes that were still showing disappeared, still no start though.....it turns over but won't start. Wondering if anyone has any input on this they could add??
Welcome Aboard!(y)

OP has not been online here since 2018. I suggest you start your own thread and post any codes, a list of parts replaced and any thing else you might think will help us help you.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts