Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's beyond me why would they not bother to include a simple coolant level sensor into this car, I almost got stranded with almost no coolant left if it wasn't for me checking it during a trip when I smelled antifreeze, fortunately I had some extra in the trunk knowing these cars have issues with cooling system.
If it wasn't for that I'd be stranded or end up with overheating engine smh...
So I'm planning of making a simple coolant sensor connected to a piezo buzzer, but don't want to power it directly to the battery as want it to work only when car running, I think it would be simple and a good weekend project, anyone already got one made? if so can you share how you made it.
Idea is to insert 2 prongs into the coolant reservoir cap and keep them in place with JB Weld, then make a simple low current circuit that will send a signal to a piezo buzzer loud enough to be heard in the car to avoid having to drill into the firewall. draw power to the circuit from a hot wire that has power when the car is running only.. Has anyone already made something like this or found an aftermarket sensor?

I found a good hack using a contactless water level sensor glued to the exterior of the tank seems to work:
DIY $15 Low Coolant Light; No Hacking required! | Fiesta Faction

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,662 Posts
It's beyond me why would they not bother to include a simple coolant level sensor into this car, I almost got stranded with almost no coolant left if it wasn't for me checking it during a trip when I smelled antifreeze, fortunately I had some extra in the trunk knowing these cars have issues with cooling system.
So I'm planning of making a simple coolant sensor connected to a piezo buzzer, but don't want to power it directly to the battery as want it to work only when car running, I think it would be simple and a good weekend project, anyone already got one made? if so can you share how you made it.
Idea is to insert 2 prongs into the coolant reservoir cap and keep them in place with JB Weld, then make a simple low current circuit that will send a signal to a piezo buzzer loud enough to be heard in the car to avoid having to drill into the firewall. draw power to the circuit from a hot wire that has power when the car is running only.. Has anyone already made something like this or found an aftermarket sensor?

I found a good hack using a contactless water level sensor glued to the exterior of the tank seems to work:
Welcome Aboard!(y)

This sounds like a good idea, but be very careful with the sensor location. You need to ensure it does not cause an air leak as the tank is a surge tank and not a resevoir. That is, it holds pressure.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doing some looking around, and it seems like GM shifted up to 20 psi cooling systems but also shifted away from coolant level sensors (probably to save a few bucks, but idk if that’d pay off with warranties in reality).
All I could find at 20 psi and with a sensor is surge tank for the Express 2017-2020, but it has an awkward shape (similar hose connections, but farther apart) (part 84225911) Doubt it’d be worth $75 to see if it could fit in the bay.

Could also look at optical sensing since there’s a fair bit of difference with the orange color. That’d keep you from dealing with pressure issues.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

The idea of using an optical sensor to detect the coolant level in the reservoir is interesting. Another approach to consider is using original equipment.

Some radiators have a spot for a level sensor which gets plugged when not used. I'm thinking there was such a plug on my Cruze radiator (but, alas, I'm 900 miles away and cannot go look). If a stock sensor could be used, as might be used in a different model if not a Cruze, that would substantially reduce the development effort. The one listed below is for a gen7 Impala (2000-2005). Not saying it will fit the Cruze, but if you could find something comparable, it might be a good start.

HTH.
Doug

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,724 Posts

I don't want to be a buzz kill but, if you are loosing coolant you have a bigger underlying issue. Coolant is NOT a consumable fluid under any normal circumstances.

Reactions: Phalanx and Blasirl

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
While conductors in the bottle to a piezo is definitely cheap (and crude) there's got to be at least a dozen different coolant level sensors available that you could press into service. Some opto ones, some floating magnets, and some even simple conductor style. But all more elegant and clean than two wires JB welded into the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,662 Posts
i have used, piezo electric, float and sonic level senors at work. all have there pro's and con's. So aside from fixing the underly issue you really have, this is still a good little project. Kind of like an oil light on the dash, all it really does is tell you doom is pending, but stll I like the concept. As far as penetrating the fire wall, that really is a non-issue. If you have an auto, there is a conveient plug that you can remove, drill through, install gromment and reinstall in the vehicle. Now you have a clean hole to run your wiring through.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Out of the box thinking, why not use a pressure sensor, if low on coolant I'd think the pressure would go up
Pressure will go up based on temperature, and off the volume of liquid was low enough the pressure could drop as you have air being heated to same temp (if not overheating) in a larger container(as the missing coolant would allow more volume for the air to occupy. Same temp larger volume dictates lower pressure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i dont believe i have owned a car with a coolant level sensor, let alone seen one. seems like a dumb thing to have.

·
Registered
716 Posts
👀<-- coolant level sensor = free

Reactions: JLL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coolant level sensor will tell you a lot faster on a significant leak than popping hood and checking (do you watch the coolant tank while you drive?).

Saturn Ion had a sensor, but mine failed at like 120k so I had to jumper the connector.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A significant leak would be proceeded by a climbing temperature gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts