Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a non-running 2014 Cruze 2LT with a 1.4L engine. It looks to be in good shape generally, but I can't get it to start yet. It only has about 33k miles on it. It has a salvage title, so was totaled by insurance and rebuilt years ago according to a VIN search. It had been sitting for a year until I bought it last week.

I replaced the battery and starter. When I turn the key in the ignition there is one loud click coming from the starter, with nothing further. I did find one of the 250a fuses is blown on the battery terminal fuse box, so I have ordered a new one. However, even with jumping across that fuse there is no change, still the one loud click.

There are permanent codes related to the crankshaft sensors (p0335, po340, p0365). There were also a list of other "Body Control Module codes" that popped up (B1405, B1516, B1517, B1529, B3130, B3135, B317A). I believe some of these are related to the passenger rear door not being able to open, it has some minor body damage. There was also a C0800 and P0621 (maybe related to the battery and fuse block issue).

I am putting together a list of items to check having read through many helpful posts. I have not yet done any of the following. The first set are electrical issues:

1. Make sure there is full power to the small cable on starter when key turned.
2. Double check negative battery cable ground.
3. Check positive cable connections where it comes into the fuse box.

It is also possible it could be mechanical and that something is seized up preventing the starter from turning. My "reverse torx" e-socket bits should arrive this evening which is why I haven't been able to do the following yet.

1. Remove serpentine belt and check individual pullies to see if everything is moving.
2. Remove valve cover and check the timing chain.

As you can see I'm looking in a few different directions. I appreciate any help or guidance you can offer. I'm enjoying spending some more time working on my vehicles, and trying to figure out this puzzle. I bought this one cheap, and am hoping to get it running myself without having to take it into the mechanic.

However, since I don't know the vehicle history and am new to this vehicle I am reaching out for any wisdom you might have to offer. I did search the VIN for recalls and no current unrepaired recalls are listed for the vehicle.

I plan on spending a good bit of time tomorrow working on it, so any advice in the meantime will be helpful in pointing me in the right direction. I will post updates! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see that when turning the ignition, there is only 7.5 volts coming to the starter via the smaller wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran a jumper cable from the starter to the battery, however, still no crank. Just the same one loud click. This leads me to believe there might be something mechanical keeping the starter from turning the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the starter, but no difference. My e-sockets arrived, and I put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and it won't budge. I took off the belt and all the other pullies move freely. So, if the engine is seized, what would be next? Take off the valve cover and look at the timing chain? Or drop the pan and look at the crankshaft?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to pull the spark plugs now. However, I notice the rubber boots on the distributor didn't come out with it and are all stuck down in there. Maybe melted on due to an overheat situation? Not sure. However, will go now and pull them out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
going to pull the spark plugs now. However, I notice the rubber boots on the distributor didn't come out with it and are all stuck down in there. Maybe melted on due to an overheat situation? Not sure. However, will go now and pull them out.
Ignition control module, ICM.

Looking down into the cylinders might reveal why the engine is seized, but, if the crank won't turn using a breaker bar, I'm pretty sure it is indeed seized.

I'm thinking your next step may be pulling the engine.

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pulled the spark plugs and the two inner cylinders have what appears to be coolant in them. So, maybe a blown head gasket? I sucked as much out with a hand pump as I could get, and will work on pulling the head to see if there is anything more serious going on.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,635 Posts
It might be easier at this point to just get a whole known working motor and drop it in. They are pretty plentiful in junkyards. Any year LUV/LUJ from a Cruze will work (stopping @ 2016 Limited), as will the motors from a Trax, Encore, or Sonic.

Head gaskets really don't go often on these things unless they are severely overheated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I was able to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds yesterday, and am waiting to remove the head until the timing tools arrive from Amazon this afternoon. If its just the head gasket then I should be able to move forward with it. If it is worse, I'll need to reevaluate and think of swapping the engine. When I pulled off the water pump pulley I found a black widow had taken up residence! She wasn't paying rent, so I had to evict her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the head off today and looks like the engine was seriously overheated. On the advice of a good mechanic friend, I'm going to start looking for a used motor to put in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts