Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a month now I have not had any heat or any blowing air at all when I select either the floor setting or windshield/floor setting. Does anyone know what the cause may be, and how hard it would be to take apart the dash to look behind the heat controls? I called GM (in Canada) and was told it would cost $114 to look at. I would much rather figure out how to remove the dash and spend that money on parts. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
I'd try resetting the HVAC computer first. Pull F17 found in the instrument panel. Wait 10 seconds. Re-install fuse. Start car. Wait at least 40 seconds for self calibration.

Then see if that takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I followed your instructions and there seems to be some air coming through now, not a lot however. It's been so long without the floor setting working I'm not sure if its a normal amount or not. Its freezing out and I ran the car for 10min, air was slightly warm. i will take it out for a drive tomorrow morning and see if its working. Thank you for the tip.

If I have the same problem again, do you know how to remove the dash to get behind the heating controls?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would suspect a door actuator, it's a common thing among GM products. You will have to remove the entire IP carrier to access the actuator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what exactly is the IP Carrier? I know how to do general maintanace myself on my cars, but when it comes to interior mechanics, i'm lost.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
there seems to be some air coming through now, not a lot however. It's been so long without the floor setting working I'm not sure if its a normal amount or not.
Are you talking heat or airflow? I'm not sure what's normal either. But others have noted that the car doesn't produce that much heat. Especially when idling. Crank up the fan too high and the engine never warms up.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Its freezing out and I ran the car for 10min, air was slightly warm. i will take it out for a drive tomorrow morning and see if its working. Thank you for the tip.
You said your in Canada, so if its as cold as its been here 10 minutes of run time would not generate significant heat unless your driving at highway speeds. It will significantly speed up warm up times if you use a low fan speed HVAC for the first 10 minutes of drive time.

It was -4F(-20C) last night and I had my engine most of the way warmed up(at 200F+), left my car idling for 10 minutes while stopping for food. Within 3 minutes I was already loosing engine temp on fan speed 1. If I turned the fan off in short order I would gain back the engine temp I had lost. Was pretty surprised idling even with such a low HVAC fan speed was cooling off a fulling warmed up engine.

From now on when I remote start my car I'm going to turn my heater controls to off, my experiment makes me think my car will get up to operating temps slightly quicker.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Before causing yourself too much brain damage, check the cabin air filter......could be covered with leaves or packed.

Once satisfied it is not obstructed, then start looking at air doors and actuators.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,662 Posts
^i left the filter box open once, can't remember which of the cars it was. There was next to no airflow from any vent in the car even with blower on high.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
^i left the filter box open once, can't remember which of the cars it was. There was next to no airflow from any vent in the car even with blower on high.
On my cavalier there was a piece of foam poorly glued/taped to a flap near the windshield defroster vent. Noticed 80% less flow from driver side to passenger side vents, after taking the dash all apart found the foam at fallen off and was blocking that side of the car. Reattached and never had the problem again. Funny part since then I have found that same issue on a half dozen other cavalier/sunfire's as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the car for a spin this morning. There is air flow at the feet now, the air flow is not as fast or warm as other settings but I will take this over what I had. I will check the cabin air filter when it gets a little warmer. It's just too cold to spend that much time outside. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took out the cabin air filter and it was dirty. Had a lot of small leaves and some twigs. It also had maybe 7-10 small white foam/insulation balls stuck in the pleats. Is this a sign of a bigger problem to come?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I took out the cabin air filter and it was dirty. Had a lot of small leaves and some twigs. It also had maybe 7-10 small white foam/insulation balls stuck in the pleats. Is this a sign of a bigger problem to come?
GM initially didn't list a maintenance interval for the cabin filter on the cruze. Last year they added one, your suppose to change it every 22,500 miles. At a minimum I would clean out all the debris every fall.

EDIT: I should add my car sits outside 100% of the time and cabin filter is always loaded with small leaves and other crap when I check it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a mouse get in and there were a lot of nuts in the cabin air filter. Somehow it got past the filter and I believe it blocked the air vent or made a nest in the lower part of the heater.

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
I had a mouse get in and there were a lot of nuts in the cabin air filter. Somehow it got past the filter and I believe it blocked the air vent or made a nest in the lower part of the heater.
So you own the Rat Powered Cruze?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts