Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pick my car back up after work today they had to fix my steering again and check the tranny again they say there's nothing wrong with the transmission wtf bs the car idles at 1100 rpm that is not right it has to b lower than that if you guys could give me your idle speeds in park or at a stop light that would be great GM is apparently ran by idiots I am not happy at all thanks for your help guys I hope someone can help with this I can't be getting good gas mileage idling at 1100 1200 rpm that can't be right :angry:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GM says they have no set idle speeds for cars 2011 and up that seems ridiculous and not right anybody have any thoughts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should elaborate since you seem so mad about this, all cars have a higher idle when you start them in cold weather & will drop to a more normal 600-800RPM after a few minutes.
I just drove 40 min. And sat in my garage for about ten min. Waiting for it to drop it never has the cold idle on my cruze is at about 1300 rpm

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It sounds like your automatic choke (or whatever passes for the choke in the Cruze) isn't working properly. 1300 RPM is normal until the engine starts to warm up and then it should drop to the 700-800 range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would recommend contacting GM and/or Stacy on this forum. Car should idle at approximately 1100 for fast idle/700 after warmed up as everyone has mentioned. I doubt it is this simple but it sounds like the computer is not receiving a signal telling it the engine is warmed up so it continues to use cold engine parameters. On older models they used to use a temp sensor wired to the computer. I would imagine the setup is still basically the same on our cars and it sounds like yours is having this or a related issue.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Now that I think about it the automatic transmission does run higher RPM until around 175degrees is reached. Idle out of gear in park does drop sooner, but I have seen mine running at 1100RPM driving as well(idling at stop light).

Not a real issue, think this is just to help speed up the warm up process & bring the trans fluid up to a decent temp quicker. This is very similar to how the torque converter does not lockup at highway speeds until around 175degrees is reached.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The temperature thing is a great point, especially as cold as it's been. Was your car at full operating temperature as Spaceout suggested?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i drove the car 40 min. last night and sat in my garage for about ten min. waiting for it to drop it never did this morning it was at about 1300/1400 for warm up then it droped to about 900 but then when i drove it to work this morning 40min. it went back up to 1100/1200 and would not drop i bought the car for good gas mileage but at these resting RPMs i highly dought im getting good gas mileage

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
i bought the car for good gas mileage but at these resting RPMs i highly dought im getting good gas mileage
You will never get good gas mileage in the winter in any car(hybrid included). Once the weather warms up in a couple months your car will warm much quicker & Idle RPMs drop quicker.

Its just the really cold weather we are having, once its in the 25-50 degree range you will start to see major changes in your cars warm up times. For me it seems the cruze starts to take much longer to warm up at 20 degrees and lower.

EDIT: I should also add that I have seen a 6-8mpg drop from my usual summer average, but am still getting a respectable 27-29mpg in mixed driving. some of my drop is the increase idling(I never do that in the summer), but allot is the longer warmup times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the car is warmed up after 40min of driving it has to be warm how long should i drive before its warm?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i drove the car 40 min. last night and sat in my garage for about ten min. waiting for it to drop it never did this morning it was at about 1300/1400 for warm up then it droped to about 900 but then when i drove it to work this morning 40min. it went back up to 1100/1200 and would not drop i bought the car for good gas mileage but at these resting RPMs i highly dought im getting good gas mileage
did you read this?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Doesn't entirely matter how long you drive since the 1.4L engine loses heat quickly with the heater on. If the engine is not at 170-200 degrees, the idle is higher.

Check with the coolant temperature screen in your DIC display (under the vehicle info section), if your car has it.

Idling at a few hundred RPM higher won't significantly affect your MPG.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is kind of a douchey thing to do but I feel the need to point out that it doesn't matter what your idle speed is. With the car stopped and at idle, you're getting ZERO mpg. No forward motion + engine running = 0mpg.

Take the car to a dealer and have them take a look at it. If you think your dealer is full of crap, go to a different one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is kind of a douchey thing to do but I feel the need to point out that it doesn't matter what your idle speed is. With the car stopped and at idle, you're getting ZERO mpg. No forward motion + engine running = 0mpg.

true but what about the whole dropping into nuetral thing like the car did when i first bought it? I know this is not right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car has been to the shop the transmission has been rebuilt because of this high idle issue the dealer does not think its right either but GM says its controlled by the CPU GM said that if my car idles at 2500 RPM its ok I just picked the car up yesterday for the second time my car has been at the dealer for over a month out of the last 2 months

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Idling at a few hundred RPM higher won't significantly affect your MPG QUOTE

BUT IT isnt RIGHT EITHER

1 - 20 of 29 Posts