Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

no power steering, stabilitrak, traction control, speedometer

89K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  Liza 
#1 ·
While driving tonight the stabilitrack, and traction control light came on, dic saved service both, service power steering and the speedometer stayed pinned at the speed I was going. I pulled over twice turned the car on and off and none of the above went off and the speedometer did not change. So, I get home turn it off for 30 seconds and the car will not start, tried it about 5 times and than it finally did. Anyone have any clue what is going on?

#3 ·
Get your codes checked out by your dealer. When a moderate/serious failure occurs, your car will disable ABS, Stabilitrak, Traction instantly. As for the other disables, I don't know, maybe a critter got to your underhood wires.

#5 ·
rich2173,
I would suggest that you take your Cruze into your dealership and have them look into this for you. If you would like I can contact your dealer and schedule an appointment for you. If you would like me to do so please send me a PM with your name, phone number and VIN. Please keep me posted on this issue. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#6 ·
Same issue -- three times!

I have same issue - this is the third time now - and my car only has 3900 miles on it. The first time I took it in they said a sensor had corrosion... really? With less than 1000 miles on it? Second time it happened it only happened for about 10-15 minutes but didn't take car in. Well today same issue but warning haven't turned off ... taking it in again this evening and not looking forward to the same BS I am sure I will receive. And to think, how awesome, I haven't even made my first payment. I bought this as a third reliable vehicle to just drive back and forth to work and for running family errands so we do not put a ton of miles on our luxury vehicles. The dealership's solution for my inconvenience was to give me a new Cadillac for a rental since the top of the model Cruze was not available... really?! How ridiculous... No one ever called me or anything other than to want me to rate them a 5. Not going to happen. The dealership has been less than accomodating and no one seems to really care. Thanks Bill Jacobs of Joliet.

#7 ·
I have same issue - this is the third time now - and my car only has 3900 miles on it. The first time I took it in they said a sensor had corrosion... really? With less than 1000 miles on it? Second time it happened it only happened for about 10-15 minutes but didn't take car in. Well today same issue but warning haven't turned off ... taking it in again this evening and not looking forward to the same BS I am sure I will receive. And to think, how awesome, I haven't even made my first payment. I bought this as a third reliable vehicle to just drive back and forth to work and for running family errands so we do not put a ton of miles on our luxury vehicles. The dealership's solution for my inconvenience was to give me a new Cadillac for a rental since the top of the model Cruze was not available... really?! How ridiculous... No one ever called me or anything other than to want me to rate them a 5. Not going to happen. The dealership has been less than accomodating and no one seems to really care. Thanks Bill Jacobs of Joliet.

I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your vehicle. I understand your concern as well as frustration with this issue. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealership? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#8 · (Edited)
Almost the same issue

I am the owner of a pre-owned 2012 Cruze LT without 18,000 kms.
I have been experiencing some similar issues. After starting the car and putting it into drive, I went about 20 feet and the car seemed liked it stalled or came close to stalling. I lost power steering, radio went off and service stability track message displayed on the DIC. This all lasted only for about a second or two then the car went back to normal. I stopped the car and put it into park. All seemed fine so I put it into drive, still with brake applied and it all happened again but the car never actually stalled. Put back into park and waited about 30 seconds, put it back in drive and all was fine. Until I pulled into a drive through to order lunch and it all happened again and I almost ended up driving threw the menu.
I took it to my dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the problem. Nothing showed up on any of their computers. Test drive after test drive they couldn't find anything. I am now scared to death to drive this car and even more scared to let my son drive it.

has anyone else experience this type of issue?

#10 ·
I am the owner of a pre-owned 2012 Cruze LT without 18,000 kms.
I have been experiencing some similar issues. After starting the car and putting it into drive, I went about 20 feet and the car seemed liked it stalled or came close to stalling. I lost power steering, radio went off and service stability track message displayed on the DIC. This all lasted only for about a second or two then the car went back to normal. I stopped the car and put it into park. All seemed fine so I put it into drive, still with brake applied and it all happened again but the car never actually stalled. Put back into park and waited about 30 seconds, put it back in drive and all was fine. Until I pulled into a drive through to order lunch and it all happened again and I almost ended up driving threw the menu.
I took it to my dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the problem. Nothing showed up on any of their computers. Test drive after test drive they couldn't find anything. I am now scared to death to drive this car and even more scared to let my son drive it.

has anyone else experience this type of issue?
I am very sorry to hear that you're having these same concerns with your vehicle and that it has caused you to feel unsafe. I notice in your post that you mention Kilometers. Are you located outside the U.S.? I just want to be sure that I direct you to the appropriate directory for any assistance you may need.

Ashley (assisting Stacy)
Chevy Customer Service

#12 ·
Problem solved...Stabilitrak and power steering

I just have a comment regarding this issue...I too had the same issue with my Equinox and started to google...Instead of paying $100 just to have the vehicle looked at, then pay for the repair...I thought google may help first...I found that the equinox and pt cruisers have this issue all the time when the car gets a jump. The fuse blows because the fuse is located on the Battery box. It is placed right between the negative and positive, so the Amp, in turn, will blow. This controls the power steering, as it is electrical and does not use power steering fluid. So I found that I needed an 80 AMP Megafuse, it was impossible to find in my town. Could find every type of fuse, except the 80 AMP...I came across the city mechanics who advised that if I used a 100 Amp, it would not harm my car and it's for protection...last resort, I used the AMP and my Equinox had no more issues...the AMP cost me $6 bucks and I got it from Napa!! Don't go spending money if you can resolve it yourself...Good luck!

#68 ·
Problem solved...Stabilitrak and power steering

I just have a comment regarding this issue...I too had the same issue with my Equinox and started to google...Instead of paying $100 just to have the vehicle looked at, then pay for the repair...I thought google may help first...I found that the equinox and pt cruisers have this issue all the time when the car gets a jump. The fuse blows because the fuse is located on the Battery box. It is placed right between the negative and positive, so the Amp, in turn, will blow. This controls the power steering, as it is electrical and does not use power steering fluid. So I found that I needed an 80 AMP Megafuse, it was impossible to find in my town. Could find every type of fuse, except the 80 AMP...I came across the city mechanics who advised that if I used a 100 Amp, it would not harm my car and it's for protection...last resort, I used the AMP and my Equinox had no more issues...the AMP cost me $6 bucks and I got it from Napa!! Don't go spending money if you can resolve it yourself...Good luck!
I hope this solution bails me out. I've been through hell for the past 6 months.

#15 ·
Leonard, did they ever find out what was wrong with the Cruze. I am in the same boat, took it to the dealer and the computer showed nothing wrong so of course they send it back. I to purchased this for our daughter to drive 40 miles one way to school, and am afraid to have her drive it. Something I wouldn't have expected with a car with only 17,000 miles. Please let me know. I mentioned the BCM to them yesterday, I will see if they checked it. Probably not, because of course if the computer doesn't show anything they won't look.

#16 ·
New to the site, and have posted some reply's but don't know if they have been seen. I to am having the same problem and would like to know if anyone has had a solution. If it is in fact a bad BCM I will tell the dealership to check that as it is in the shop now and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, because of course the Computer didn't show anything. Radio goes off, dash lights go off, check traction, check stability, check power steering (loss of power steering for about 1/2 mile) All these things happened three days in a wrong. NOT something that you would expect from a 2012 with 18,000 miles. IF this dealership does not find something I will take to every GM dealership within a 50 mile radius until a solution is found. I feel this is BS especially with a car that still has a factory warranty.

#17 ·
New to the site, and have posted some reply's but don't know if they have been seen. I to am having the same problem and would like to know if anyone has had a solution. If it is in fact a bad BCM I will tell the dealership to check that as it is in the shop now and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, because of course the Computer didn't show anything. Radio goes off, dash lights go off, check traction, check stability, check power steering (loss of power steering for about 1/2 mile) All these things happened three days in a wrong. NOT something that you would expect from a 2012 with 18,000 miles. IF this dealership does not find something I will take to every GM dealership within a 50 mile radius until a solution is found. I feel this is BS especially with a car that still has a factory warranty.
Going to a different dealership is a good idea. It sounds to me like the one you've been going to is staffed by trained monkeys (sorry for the insult monkeys). It just floors me how many dealerships won't go the extra mile for a major problem like this.

#18 ·
If anyone ever needs assistance finding a dealership/service department in your area just send me your zip code and I will gladly locate one for you.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

#19 ·
I had the same issue last week. The dealership (Rotolo Chevrolet) found a TSB on the wires to the ECU and FCM having bad connections. The Cruze was in and out in one day they even showed me the wires that were replaced. So if the dealer checks with the factory they will see the TSB for this issue.

#20 ·
I'm having the same issues, 2012 Cruze LT 9.1k miles. Actually this is my 2nd time that it has happened. I had the first incident almost 1 year ago, the car had only 3k miles. I had the car towed to my local Chevy dealer, "Bill Jacobs Joliet". They kept the car for two days and they finally said that they only found a lose connection but could not replicate the incident. Today I was at my local post office when I experience the same issue again. I turned off the car for a few minutes then restarted it. I drove the car directly to the dealer since it was less then a mile away. They couldn't get to the car today, so they sent my home on a rental. Can wait to see what type of explanation they give me this time. I will mention to them about the EBCM and the TBS mention previously.

#21 ·
Similar issues

My cruze has similar problems; The radio goes in and out, and the service stabilitrak message came up on the display tonight. I managed to get a mechanic in the car and was able to have him witness the radio going in and out. Also, the main cabin light on the roof flickers. He said its a voltage problem, possibly a bad alternator. For the customer service reps that may see this post, please forward the following onto the appropriate personnel:
It looks like Chevy did a poor job of field testing the new equipment for the cruze. As a an Electrical engineering student, I understand that new electrical equipment can be difficult to test, however, I also understand that it is important to be thorough in your testing. After all, I'm sure the engineers remember getting poor grades in college if they were not thorough. As a husband, I worry about my wife driving the car. Also, I need this car to get me to work each month. I am an Army Soldier living in the NW where it consistantly snows between November and March. Not having traction control is managable if you know how to handle a vehicle in poor weather. Even more so, having faulty wiring is unacceptable. Spend a little more time researching and developing your products before they hit the market.

#22 ·
2014 Cruze LT, only 8100 miles, while driving Service stabilitrak, service power steering, and traction control lights came on....Now the engine will not idle correctly and sometimes will not accelerate. Has anyone experienced anything like this. It is going in for a recall, but hopefully there is no main issues with the vehicle... Someone told me that it could be the ECM has gone bad. I also notice that the transmission feels very jerky when it is put into gear out of park.

#25 ·
Hello gvedo1,

I understand you are experiencing concerns with the service light illuminating in your 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. I know you mentioned you'd be taking it into the dealership to have repairs done for the recall, will you be having these concerns addressed as well? Please keep us updated on your visit and if you need our assistance, you are welcome to send us a private message any time!

Andraya (assisting Kristen)
Chevrolet Customer Care

#27 ·
It unfortunately depends on the dealership. The good ones can diagnose problems. The rest won't see a code and will give up.

#29 ·
Today my traction control and engine power failed while driving to work. Friday last week had my 2011 Cruze (bought new, now has 58,000 miles) serviced at a local Chevy dealer to fix the waterpump and coolant hoses for the third time since purchasing the vehicle. This is only the second time I have driven it since the water pump was replaced. The "Service ESP", "Service Traction Control" and "Engine Power Reduced" alerts all came on at once. The car would not accelerate beyond 5 mph and the rpm would not reach 2. I pulled over shut the car off and after restarting a few minutes later was able to drive it BACK to the dealership (the service engine light remained on). The dealership reported this problem is unrelated to the recent service and not covered under warranty. I was charged the maximum, $127.00 "diagnostic fee" and over $400.00 to have the throttle repaired. Apparently this is a very common problem with the Chevy Cruze. The mechanic told me "the part just failed" with no further explanation. He also said he's seen the same problem with the Cruze at only 12,000 miles. I don't understand why this would not be covered under warranty or a recall, especially considering it is such a common problem. Since purchasing my Cruze new in 2011, I have had to take it in for 5 major problems (3 times for the waterpump to be replaced, once for the power steering recall and now for the traction control/throttle failure). The second time the waterpump was replaced apparently the dealership installed it incorrectly thus leading to the third failure last week - I took it to a different dealership who replaced the waterpump again, hopefully correctly but after having my car for 3 days did not detect the co-occurring engine problem with the throttle! For a new car, these problems should not exist and I would like to hear from a Customer Care Service Agent about my poor experience with the Cruze thus far. This is so disappointing - my Dad worked for General Motors in Detroit for 25 years and our family members have been faithful customers. After this most recent failure I feel like I need to sell my car before anything else goes wrong and buy from another company. I expected to have this car for many years. I just want a reliable car that has longevity.

#30 ·
We hear you loud and clear, and we truly apologize for the disheartening experience with your Cruze thus far! We certainly would never want for your experiences with your vehicle to become negative, and I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you work with. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#31 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 2012 Cruze 3 weeks ago. Bought it on a Saturday and on Sunday the service stabilitrak came on and all the lights on the dash went out. Took it right back on Monday and the dealer told me the sensor just needed to be reset. Well last week it did it again and the service power steering came on also and again everything went dark on the dash including the radio. I'm scared to drive this. I went back to the dealer last Wednesday and they have had the car since. As of yesterday the service writer is saying they still can't find anything wrong with it and assures me it's not a safety issue. HOW is this not a safety issue if the service stabilitrak, power steering are flashing and the lights all go out in the car?

#34 ·
Tyoung - PM our Chevy Customer Care folks here about this. Tell them your VIN and dealership. They may be able to get your dealership the correct information. The symptoms you're reporting are classic negative battery cable and are in fact, the very symptoms listed in the service bulletin.

#36 ·
Tyoung - PM our Chevy Customer Care folks here about this. Tell them your VIN and dealership. They may be able to get your dealership the correct information. The symptoms you're reporting are classic negative battery cable and are in fact, the very symptoms listed in the service bulletin.
Thank you obermd and ChevyGuy.
I spoke to my service dept and they insist this is not the issue and there are no codes for this. I have reached out to the customer care on here in hopes they can help me also.
Thank you!

#38 ·
I purchased my "Certified" 2014 Cruze last month and this weekend this happened to me as I was driving on the interstate, the radio went off and service stability track message displayed on the DIC. This all lasted only for about a second or two then the car went back to normal.

But...It happened a couple of times before I reached my destination, but didn't happen on my return trip. I just returned from my trip and I plan to have it checked ASAP.

#39 ·
Hello JISSAC,

We'd like to apologize for the recent experience you had regarding your service stability track system. You mentioned that you're taking your vehicle into the dealership to address this issue, and we encourage you to do so as they are in the best position to diagnose your concern. Should you need any assistance setting up an appointment, we'd be more than happy to do so. Feel free to send a private message containing your VIN, mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Be sure to keep us updated on how everything turns out! :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.