Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

No power to trunk area of 2012 Chevy Cruze

1270 14
I'm not getting any power to the electrical items on the trunk of my 2012 Chevy Cruze, 1.8L. The trunk won't open through the key or manual switch, I don't have any lights on the license plate, and the inner tail lights are not lit. The upper brake light, trunk light and outer tail lights all work.

I checked the fuse #16 (trunk release) and it is fine. I pulled the liners from the lid and sides, and I don't see any disconnected wires.

What should I check? Please be specific as I don't have a lot of automotive experience and I just recently acquired this vehicle. Thank you for any help.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't know what else to try, so I replaced the latch using an inexpensive ($12.39) "Rear Trunk Release Switch Licence Plate Lamp Light Switch Button Assembly" on Amazon that a few folks recommended. It was easy enough to replace but, as expected, did not resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't see any broken wires. Where do all those wire go? Do they plug into a BCM somewhere? If so, is there a fuse specifically for that group of wires or that part of the BCM? I see a number of fuses labeled "BCM", but I cannot find what those fuses are for.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Didn't see any broken wires. Where do all those wire go? Do they plug into a BCM somewhere? If so, is there a fuse specifically for that group of wires or that part of the BCM? I see a number of fuses labeled "BCM", but I cannot find what those fuses are for.
I was gonna reply last night but forgot. Looks like all your wiring leads back to BCM X4, X6 connectors. Inner tail lights and license plate lights on X4. exterior trunk switch on X6. You can unplug connector from BCM and check for open and shorts in cabling. Might just be a common ground between all that is open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was gonna reply last night but forgot. Looks like all your wiring leads back to BCM X4, X6 connectors. Inner tail lights and license plate lights on X4. exterior trunk switch on X6. You can unplug connector from BCM and check for open and shorts in cabling. Might just be a common ground between all that is open.
Thank you, Maqcro1, for the BCM numbers. Checked the fuses for those and they were fine. Will pull the BCM and check the wiring on those when I get some time over the next few days.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Thank you, Maqcro1, for the BCM numbers. Checked the fuses for those and they were fine. Will pull the BCM and check the wiring on those when I get some time over the next few days.
I’ll have to get the exact pin from each connector to test. Maybe I’ll have time later today to send it over.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a follow-up, I was unable to complete this troubleshooting. Had bought this car as temporary transportation while my new car was on order (took 10 months to come in), so I didn't keep it once the new car arrived. I suspected two items: short in the wiring (didn't visually see any breaks, but didn't get around to testing as Maqcro1 suggested) or the BCM itself. Told the new owner about it and what had been done to troubleshoot. Just wanted to post this in case a future reader of this thread wondered what happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more final follow-up. The new owner took it to a real mechanic (not me, for sure) who found a broken wire. Really thought I looked those over carefully, but must have missed it. Just thought the folks reading this thread would like to know the result.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked with my friend, and he said the mechanic only said it was in the trunk. Doesn't sound like it was the BCM connector. Unfortunately, the mechanic has gone South for the winter, so he cannot get more specific information. Sorry, wish I could have been of more help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts