Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Cruze 1.8 liter that the pcv valve went out and it ended up sucking a good amount of oil into the intake. The car gave a message on dash stating that it would be shutting down to pull over. Everything was fine up to that point. Car was towed home and the intake and all essentials were cleaned out and a new valve cover was installed with the integrated pcv valve. After everything was back together and triple checked the car is getting gas to the pistons but does not seem to be sparking at all. I was wondering if there was some safety cut out that needs to be reset after the car performs a forced shut down? I don't really think that the coil pack would go bad because of this when it was working fine previously. I checked error codes and the system is clear.

Edit: Fault codes present car shut down
: P0171, P2076, P00B7, P0324, P0325, P0597
Can't remember which code now, but one led us to finding that the pcv valve stopped working and the intake was full of oil.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response.

I will check again, but that is the part i have checked the most. I have made sure it was seated completely and even inspected the pins as well to make sure non were damaged. Is there any back probe testing that can be done on that connection to make sure it is getting a signal or working correctly?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The car gave a message on dash stating that it would be shutting down to pull over

The only time I've heard about that message is on a overheat. But that doesn't match the other stuff you're telling us, so I have no idea what's going on.

Since you indicate a lot of oil in the intake, I'd check the plugs themselves to make sure they aren't fouled.
If that's not it, we're going to have to get to the bottom of your warning message. There isn't many situations where the car can give any kind of warning before the engine dies. Overheat and loss of oil pressure is the only ones I can think of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
New spark plugs were installed. I can't remember the code that set off the shut down response right now I can find in a bit and post it. It was about 2 qts of oil that got sucked into the intake when the pcv valve failed, so may have been a pressure issue.

There was quite a few codes when the incident took place. We used a bluetooth code reader with OBD Check app, so these are generic codes, but it led us to the problem none the less.

Fault codes : P0171, P2076, P00B7, P0324, P0325, P0597

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess no one has any clues, Appreciate the input none the less though guys. I guess I will start by trying to figure out if there is a way to test the coil pack. I havent found much online about it, but we will see. I will update with anything I figure out so that future searches will lead to positive results.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
You have a whole lot of codes there that suggest something electrical as well. Intake tuning valve, knock sensor, engine coolant flow, thermostat...

I would start by checking any grounds you can find, and possibly by replacing the negative battery cable which is a very common problem on these cars. Make sure your battery is sufficiently charged as well.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
In the intake was full of oil, make sure to drain the intercooler. If it's full, you might not have any air.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
1.8. Actually the first PCV failure I've heard of on one too.
That's right. If no turbo, no intercooler. But then, I've not heard of the 1.8 having PCV failures. I think I assumed the 1.8 was a typo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was an electrical issue, considering all the codes when things went down, wouldn't all the codes or at least a single code pop up when trying to start? I just took the codes as a by-product from having 2 quarts of oil sucked into the intake.

I will go through and make sure everything is grounded properly. Every other connection has been checked multiple times, battery has been fully charged, and all oil was cleaned out from the intake. Cylinders were clean when inspected and new spark plugs were installed because we were there. There is no turbo, so no intercooler as stated above. The engine turns and gas is entering the cylinders, just no spark. I am fairly confident in my mechanical skills and this car not starting is driving me crazy lol. I thought it was a possibility of us not plugging something in, but pulling and reinstalling valve cover and intake manifold is fairly straightforward and there aren't that many connections involved. I was hoping that it was some safety lock out or anti-theft lock out since it forced the shutdown. It doesn't really make sense to me that pcv failure can cause anything else to fail that was working perfectly previously. I do get that there are things that pcv can effect when it goes out... just doesn't really apply to this. I guess there is the possibility that something was on the fringe and it went bad coincidentally from the shock of it maybe.

Thanks to all responding.

I will post whenever i figure out what has happened.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
What about any wires/plugs around the camshafts? Possible something was bumped there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the response. It is possible we did something like that, I will definitely check for that. I won't be able to do a 4th over until this weekend, until then I am still brainstorming and checking the forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Superjasn what did you end up doing with your car? I just replaced my head gasket and have the same thing going on. I have no spark. It ran fine besides having oil in the water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.