Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have an '87 (?) Camaro that belongs to my husband's uncle that is basically taking up space in our barn. He lives out of state and the family has not been able to contact him in years. We just want to get rid of the thing, but we aren't sure what our options are as we do not have the title. Scrap yards need titles etc. For reference: we are in Ohio, and I think the car is registered in Texas (has TX plates). Any legal gurus that have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
Contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. The will need the VIN, plate number and expiration, and the name of the last known registrant. Explain the problem to them and see what they say. From 1987 it may be declared an abandoned title.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Same problem with a motorcycle.

Try to give you the Cliff's Notes version:

Family friend's uncle gets arrested. He hasn't gone to trial yet but they are fairly certain that he will go away for 25 years minimum.(he will be 80+ when and if he is released) Parts of her family immediately raided his personal possessions. She asked me to secure his motorcycle so they couldn't grab that too.

Everybody left and moved over 500 miles away. I have a 13 year old Softail, both keys, and no title.

Gasoline has been stabilized, battery is being maintained, it's kept fairly clean, and I start it and warm it up to operating temperature once a week.

So did I just sign up for a quarter century free maintenance and storage agreement?

I can't even ride the fool thing because it's not registered to me and I don't like it anyway. I'm afraid that someone in that family is going to realize that bike got overlooked and charge me with grand theft.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Call the local law enforcement agency and report it as an abandoned car to start the process. They may have it towed to impound solving your problem and taking the responsibility for it from you.

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
But it's not abandoned. It's simply misplaced in the same family.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
It is on their property.
It does not belong nor is it titled to them.
They cannot contact the legal owner.
Legally it is considered abandoned.

There are ways to get rid of it without getting yourself in deep poo doing it. There are ways to get rid of it that can get you charged with a felony. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If your storing a car for over a certain length of time and the owner has left it on your property you can get a lien against the car for storage fees. Doesn't matter if the person didn't have a contract for storage either, they left it on your property. You could also apply for a salvage or junk title, though the rules probably differ from state to state.

4 Ways to Get a Title to an Abandoned Vehicle - wikiHow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts