Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearing completion of a SQ audio install detailed in a sticky thread here. AC LC2i -> Mini DSP -> RF 5 ch amp -> Silver Seas/Vifa combo speakers.

Followed advice here, power cable down drivers side and audio RCA's down the passenger side.

When I connect the mini DSP is when the noise shows up. There is a steady buzz, stays the same with engine speed and volume on stereo. Also can hear alternator noise that varies with throttle, but it is more faint than the other noise.

With just the LOC connected, its quiet as a mouse, no noise. Reconnect the dsp and lots of noise. Both the LOC and DSP are on my front floorboard so I can swap cables easier before final install.

Trying to figure out how the dsp is introducing noise the system. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,195 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me on that device.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a 4 ch. ground loop isolator and along with adjusting amp gains, has helped. Very little noise with the engine on sitting in driveway. Thought I got this whipped.

Then I went for a drive. As soon as I put it in drive, lots of noise. Hitting the brakes makes it worse. Put the car in 'Park'and it mostly goes away ??

I did check grounds at the LOC and DSP, little to no ohms to the chassis.

What is the best way to go about troubleshooting where the noise is coming from? It doesn't vary with throttle, so it isn't alternator?

Are these good RCA interconnects? These are what I have. NVX XIV45 5m (16.40 ft) 4-Channel V-Series RCA Audio Interconnect Cable

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
If you would give us a drawing of the exact wiring as it is from the HU out and to each of your applicable divices in sequence we will try to help you out with this feed back that you are experiencing ....

Also have you checked your gains at the 5 channel amp to make sure they are not maladjusted ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made some headway on my noise issues. The LOC, DSP and ground loop isolator was all stuffed below the radio in front of the console. Very tight in there. Noticed if I moved the components around some, I could get the noise to come and go. I figured the noise must be generated somewhere in this area.

Unhooked the DSP and ground loop isolator and moved them to the trunk area where the amp is mounted on the back of the rear seat. Haven't finished installing this yet, but the noise is mostly gone!! Still a little alternator noise at low volume levels. But liveable at this point.

I'm wondering if the low level noise is being induced into the speaker wires after the amp? Those wires are running on the passenger side right along with some factory wiring. I have some shielded 18 ga. cable that would work good for speaker wire, thinking about trying it out to see if I can get rid of the rest of the noise. If I get a chance to try, will post back here the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts