Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have had a 2011 Cruze LS since November 2010 and have recently been noticing a noise heard toward the end when I'm applying my breaks a few moments before I come to a complete stop. It's like a creek/screetch noise that is heard every other second. It's hard to describe the noise unforunately.

I took it in to the dealership and they did this: machined front and rear brake rotors, deglazed corrosion from all four brake surfaces, refinished rear and front brake rotors, and cleaning.

But I can still hear the noise after their work... anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is making a very low clunking noise when coming to a stop from a slow speed. Sounds as though it is with each rotation of the wheel. In my case I can tell the noise is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I've had my car since october.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mine is heard with every rotation of the wheels as well, about 3-4 times I will hear a noise with the windows up or down as i'm becoming close to a complete stop. No so much of a clunk/click but a squeel. I hear it more so by the driver front side, not sure if it is coming from the passanger side as well since I don't sit there

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine is making a very low clunking noise when coming to a stop from a slow speed. Sounds as though it is with each rotation of the wheel. In my case I can tell the noise is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I've had my car since october.
I've been hearing this recently as well, started a week or two ago. A clicking/clunking nose from the rear wheels when coming to a stop, but it usually goes away after about the third brake application.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As long as the brakes seem to working properly and the pedal feels "normal" - you should be fine. Some brake pads can generate noise, such as a squeal, groan, etc. It can be worse in differing weather - such as cooler, damp, wet conditions. It's a function of the friction in the pads and rotors or drums.

Frankly, I prefer responsive brakes. This requires a more agressive brake pad which can be a little more noisy. IMO - a worthy trade.

·
Registered
44 Posts
have the same issue. clunking noise varies by turning speed at low speeds only, when brakes applied lightly. it comes from the rear. no noise when driving or hard braking. no warping of rear drums. but get a howling noise at high speed hard braking.

planning to take to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Exact same issue, and the dealer turned the rotors/drums. There is still a slight noise, but not irregular like before. The dealer said the tech tested new ones on the lot and the noise was heard on those too. As long as it doesn't cause any significant problems over the next few years, I guess I can live with it until I trade it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
okay. here this. those clonking noises from the rear when i applied the brakes at low speeds where not from the brakes, but from the axle hub bearing. the dealer regreased it and torqued it to spec. all is good, now.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I started hearing a creaking sound from the driver rear wheel when applying breaks at any speed. I'm going to see if they'll re-grease the hub bearing and hope that'll eliminate that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same issue here. 2012 LS model; only 600 miles on it. Didn't notice the noise for the first few hundred miles, but it's been doing it on and off for last 100-200. Clicking/rubbing sound like something is brushing against something else each time the wheel rotates, only during light brake application at slow speed. Guess it's time to visit the dealer; will have to mention the hub bearing if they don't see anything wrong with the brakes.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
One reason why I do my own brakes and oil changes. Never do it right, calipers and shoes have to be surgically clean and well lubricated so they can release and self center. Rule number one, all components must be easily installed with your fingers. When the pedal is released, a vacuum is formed within the master cylinder, the wheel should turn freely.

With oil changes, way to easy to forget to change the oil filter, with that cartridge, never know for sure. Greasing is saturating the control arm and stabilizer bushings with silicone, they don't do that either. The upper strut bearing need lubrication, never do that either, those can be a cause of noise when stopping as well as the lower ball joints.

Here is another factor to add to your paranoia, four major auto supply chains in town, major customers are new car dealers and the various shops. Not that many DIYers left. All sell three grades of components, bottom of the line is crap but provides the most profit. I want to see the components going into my vehicle, its my life and only use the best. By doing this work myself, its done right and only using the top of the line components.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Same issue here. 2012 LS model; only 600 miles on it. Didn't notice the noise for the first few hundred miles, but it's been doing it on and off for last 100-200. Clicking/rubbing sound like something is brushing against something else each time the wheel rotates, only during light brake application at slow speed. Guess it's time to visit the dealer; will have to mention the hub bearing if they don't see anything wrong with the brakes.
I'd be curious to see what the dealers did for the other people who mentioned this. The hub & bearing assembly is a sealed unit, there is nothing to grease.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

eegad,
I would suggest that you have the dealer look into this for you. I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of this issue. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the dealers did for the other people who mentioned this. The hub & bearing assembly is a sealed unit, there is nothing to grease.
When I had the noise on my Cruze, the dealer resurfaced drums/rotors and the noise went away, for a few months. When it came back that was when they said that the tech drove some of the new Cruzes on the lot and heard the same noise. As this was just one of several issues I had with my Cruze, the eventual outcome for me was trading the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just thought I'd do a follow-up. Took my 2012 LS to the dealer a few days ago. The service manager said the mechanic confirmed the noise (and also noticed a slight vibration). They did work on all four wheels.....resurfaced the rotors and drums, and sanded the pads/shoes. Took about 2 hours. Done under warranty of course (only 600 miles on the car), but the listed price on the work order was almost $300. Car is nice and quiet now; hopefully it will stay that way.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved. I've gone to two different dealers and neither could duplicate which blows my mind. Nut sure if I should try a different dealer or continue going to the same one over and over with the same complaint.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.