Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a chatter type noise after i take off for the first time after start up. It only happens one time after the car gets over about 5 mph. Is it maybe the anti-lock brake unit doing a seft test or something ? The Cruzz is a 2013 1lt with 775 miles on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping thats all it was. The first Cruze I test drove broke something in the power brake/master cylinder and the dealer said it would take 2-3 days to get the part and repair it. The pedal would go all the way to the floor before the brakes applied. This was on a 2012 1LT that was new on the lot, only 7 miles on it. I went ahead and signed all the papers to purchase it and waited for it but it was still not done.I cancelled that car and I went to another dealer and found a 2013 1LT/RS new on the lot at a much better deal and got more for my trade and free window tint that saved a little more cash.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Excellent wheeling and dealing - plus a little luck. As tecollins1 said, this is the normal ABS self check after starting your car. It happens the first time you pass 11-12 MPH after starting. All GMs do this, it's just very noticable in the Cruze. If you don't hear it, you have an ABS problem. Your brakes will work, but the anti-lock system won't.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad I read this. I have a two week old 2013 Cruze making that sound and was going to take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Now I'll only worry if it stops doing it!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Even my 88 Supra Turbo makes that noise just the first time with ABS. ABS has two checks, static when you first turn on the ignition to run, after about two seconds you pray the ABS light goes out. Second test is dynamic, primarily testing the wheel sensor pulses and momentarily doing a current draw test on the ABS pump to make sure its operational. If not, that nasty ABS light will come on, also pray it doesn't come on. That pump is the noise you are hearing.

Anything dealing with ABS is big bucks even if you spend hours on the net looking for the lowest prices and do all the work yourself. Aftermarket scanner manufactures stay far away form reading ABS codes because they fear the liability, have to pay at least 4,000 bucks for a scanner.

A huge profit maker for the OE's and one would think since the law in the USA requires these damned things, would give a guy a break on prices. Air bags are just as bad.

ABS assumes at least one wheel will have traction, you just don't have that during an ice rain. Also gives inept drivers over confidence. But it is the law!

Air bags killed just as many kids as saved lives of adults that refused to wear safety belts. To handle this situation, made it a law that all kids ride in rear seats. Not bad if you have two kids, three requires having a three seat vehicle, more than four requires buy a school bus. This is why I insist we have idiots making our laws.

If involved in an accident your fault or not, and they learned your ABS or air bags ain't working, could avoid paying any claims you have.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
They had ABS in 88? Huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Yes. ABS has actually been around for quite a while. Boeing started putting ABS on it's jetliners sometime in the 70s. It took a while for the technology to get small enough to make it to our highways, however. I remember seeing commercials for cars with ABS while I still owned my Fiero GT and wondering just how much more effective ABS is than threshold braking. Turns out threshold braking is slightly better than ABS but much, much harder to do.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,357 Posts
I never owned a car with ABS until that 98 Volvo. The cars I learned to drive on when I was younger - the 72 Beetle, 85 Saab, 87 Buick, and 88 Accord - didn't have any such thing. You got to know the limits of the car and when the wheels would lock up. The Accord was the only unpredictable one, as the rear wheels would lock up in rain/snow way before the fronts, and it would slide the tail around a bit.

I feel like ABS can be helpful at times and scary other times. My first instinct when almost rear ending a car in traffic was to mash the brake pedal as hard as I could, and the Cruzes ABS system stopped me an inch from someone's bumper when I'm sure that I could not have done it better myself.

However, in my moms 2007 Accord that I was stuck with during a snowstorm - worst car in snow EVER - there's no braking power at all in slush with the brakes flipping out. I almost rear ended someone there too, when I'm sure I could have stopped on my own with some skidding involved. I feel like that ABS system was about 10+ years of refinement behind the older Volvos; my car had never had any problems with anti-lock in snow, and felt like it pulsed about twice as quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have noticed a chatter type noise after i take off for the first time after start up. It only happens one time after the car gets over about 5 mph. Is it maybe the anti-lock brake unit doing a seft test or something ? The Cruzz is a 2013 1lt with 775 miles on it. Thanks.

montess1,
I would like to congratulate you on your new Cruze! Also welcome to the forum! As you will see this is a great place to get information on your Cruze. As previously stated what you are hearing is normal and is the ABS self check. If you feel that you are having any issues with your vehicle I would suggest that you contact your dealer to have them look into it for you. Also if you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime. I am always happy to help in anyway that I can!! Enjoy your Cruze!!! :)
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ford introduced ABS in 1985, Ford, for years was bragging about safety. Son has automatic retracting shoulder belts in his new 1990 Thunderbird, didn't know that when I first got in it holding a hot cup of coffee. Seat belt flew back and knocked the coffee all over my chest. I didn't sue Ford for a million bucks, just didn't get in anymore holding a cup of hot coffee. But my chest hurt like **** for a couple of weeks.

A study in Munich and Oslo with and without ABS showed that with ABS, drivers became more aggressive, so no safety gains were made using a fleet of taxi cabs.

Some ABS sensors are part of the hub assembly, meaning you have to replace the entire hub bearing, (expensive) just because a very thin 48 AWG magnet wire broke. Sealed unit, no way to restore without proper molding equipment.

While I never drove my old 1992 DeVille with salt on the road, had to replace all four brake lines. Was a terrible job I would never want to do again. Mounted the ABS module low and was installed before mounting the transaxle. Whoever came up with the bubble flare should be shot, does save a step in production as opposed to the good reliable for years double flare, but positively miserable under the vehicle with fluid dropping in your face.

Yet another problem is using all these connectors to the wheel sensors, not exactly like using a portable electric drill that you are constantly plugging in to different wall outlets. Done for convenience in production, some are buried deep and very difficult to find. Cheap materials, they corrode and generate ABS codes. I got rid of all those and used solder. If have to be changed, can be unsoldered.

Been saying for years, the best connector is no connector.

Then gum buildup in the ABS module using that same old hygroscopic brake fluid, hasn't changed since the mid-thirties, but far more harmful with ABS. A valve freezes, and you have NO brakes.

But the wisdom in Washington DC say they are safer. Knowing how to drive in ice and snow is far safer, not even part of any driving test. Two point contact relays are used by engineers without brains, just tad of arching renders them useless and both have high surge currents. Then a sealed ABS pump motor with copper commutators and brushes, no brush wear detection.

Just a pile of crap in my experience and knowledge, but they are the law.

So when they all passed the law that all vehicles must have this tire mounting system, why didn't they pass a law that all gas stations have free air with an accurate gauge? Then instead of four bucks for four new tire valves, now its 160 bucks. Again, road salt takes a toll on these valves. I give up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
montess1,
I would like to congratulate you on your new Cruze! Also welcome to the forum! As you will see this is a great place to get information on your Cruze. As previously stated what you are hearing is normal and is the ABS self check. If you feel that you are having any issues with your vehicle I would suggest that you contact your dealer to have them look into it for you. Also if you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime. I am always happy to help in anyway that I can!! Enjoy your Cruze!!! :)
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks Stacy, glad to see that we have customer service on the forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noise

2012 Cruze, 4,000 miles. Shifting into second gear there is a sound that is similiar to a spring releasing - click sound? Is this the ABS system?

·
Registered
391 Posts
2012 Cruze, 4,000 miles. Shifting into second gear there is a sound that is similiar to a spring releasing - click sound? Is this the ABS system?
That would not be the ABS. It should go off way before you would get to 2nd gear. ~5mph.

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
That would not be the ABS. It should go off way before you would get to 2nd gear. ~5mph.
Mine usually checks right as I'm shifting into 2nd (manual)
so I wouldn't say 100% that its not the abs check.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mine happens as I am still letting the clutch out in first. I can't see it waiting till 2nd but I could be wrong :) It should happen at or before 5 mph. If you are in second at 5mph and it does it, then it is probably the abs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Went and looked in the manual and it can actually go up to 13mph. So I would say as long as it is below that speed (or 20kph) and the abs light is not solidly lit, it may be the abs check. If it only happens once per startup that would be my best guess.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The ABS self-check occurs at 20 KPH (12 MPH). Sometimes I hear it in 1st, sometimes in 2nd. Try accelerating to 15 MPH in 1st and then shift to 2nd. You'll hear the ABS as you pass 12.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
7-8 mph in my Cruze, if that buzz quits, then you have problems. Either back to the dealer under warranty, or get a second or third mortgage on your home if after warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts