Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Non AGM battery

15502 Views 38 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  MRO1791
The dealer only had the standard 94r battery not the AGM battery. Any one been using a standard lead acid battery in their diesel Cruze
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Wow these batteries suck. I just had to replace mine. Car is only 2 years old with 15k miles on it. Remote start was failing to start the car sometimes. MDI 2 stated that the car was showing a reading of speed that caused the start to fail. The other thing that showed up was battery low at start was listed as active. Couldn't find any other possible cause, and after sitting through the night the voltage would drop to 11.4 volts. Brought the car to my brothers dealer and he checked the battery with the GM GR8 tester and it failed. Changed it out and changed the negative battery cable while we were in there.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
Anybody run the Duralast Platinum AGM battery? http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ery/duralast-platinum-battery/319460_929860_0

I really like Autozone Duralast gold battery warranty, I had a bad luck stint for a couple years where I warranty replaced 4 Duralast golds batteries in 3 off my vehicles, like from draining them dead and 1 from a HF maintainer that killed the battery over a winter (like 4 volts, not charge taken).
Had 2 of them for over 2 years, 1 in my 1.4. Cranked strong, held voltage way better than the GM crap, even in the dead of winter. I think one would be a great match for a Diesel.

· Premium Member
7,547 Posts
How to tell, now? Is the first definite symptom a no-start? Or (hopefully), is the car's computer smart enough to tell me it's time for a new battery?
I don't think the computer gives any warning. The no start is pretty much the warning. If you're observant and have a sharp ear, you might hear the cranking speed is a "note" lower than normal.

There are add-on devices that will warn you when they see the battery voltage drop too low on cranking. That's a warning that the time is near. (However, I'm not sure if they'd be too happy with the charging voltage the Cruze sometimes puts out.)

17,879 Posts
I don't think the computer gives any warning. The no start is pretty much the warning. If you're observant and have a sharp ear, you might hear the cranking speed is a "note" lower than normal.

There are add-on devices that will warn you when they see the battery voltage drop too low on cranking. That's a warning that the time is near. (However, I'm not sure if they'd be too happy with the charging voltage the Cruze sometimes puts out.)
Sometimes you may see "battery saver active" if it's just not holding much of a charge.

Or, if a battery cell just goes out entirely, no warning at all but the click of your starter.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have just been advised by Holden that the agm batteries are for start stop cars and should not be used in the Holden Cruze as they have a different charging system. My car has been on for 4 hours today at Holden and still showing it needs to be charged.
Has anyone had problems using agm battery in their Cruze? This whole problem of mine started last Saturday (6 days ago now) my car went into Limp mode (apparently that’s the terminology) and it was towed to Holden last Saturday. They have tested it all week and can not replicate the problem but saying it could be the agm battery that caused it.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I have just been advised by Holden that the agm batteries are for start stop cars and should not be used in the Holden Cruze as they have a different charging system. My car has been on for 4 hours today at Holden and still showing it needs to be charged.
Has anyone had problems using agm battery in their Cruze? This whole problem of mine started last Saturday (6 days ago now) my car went into Limp mode (apparently that’s the terminology) and it was towed to Holden last Saturday. They have tested it all week and can not replicate the problem but saying it could be the agm battery that caused it.
All North American Cruze ship from the factory with an AGM battery. While I doubt GM would use a different battery technology elsewhere it is possible.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,129 Posts
Nope, that's a stupid excuse. I had one for 3 years in my 2012 without issue.
Exactly this.

AGM just handles start-stop situations better than non, but AGM is pretty widely used these days...

· Registered
133 Posts
What you SHOULD buy is an agm battery. They are maintenance free and are more efficient due to the plates being closer together. Only use a flooded battery as a last resort, in a case of you need a battery right now, but absolutely can't get ahold of an agm battery.
All the new Diesel Cruzes use flooded batteries,its posted on GM tech-link as a chart showing part numbers,CCA,etc. Flooded batteries come as maintenance free as well.I personally think all the problems with AGM batteries in the Cruzes has to do with them being under the hood and not in the trunk like a lot of agm's are.AGM's don't like being charged in high heat conditions,look it up.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,129 Posts
Reactions: jblackburn

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I am still struggling to understand what different battery types mean for our cars. What's in the link (
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University ) helps a little, but I am still not completely clear.

In the old days, I could tell when I needed a new battery. The lights and accessories would dim/slow down more than I was accustomed to, when the engine was at idle or off. Signified the battery was not delivering as much current for a given voltage that it had in the past. Not sure how to tell now, with all these smart algorithms modifying the experience. How to tell, now? Is the first definite symptom a no-start? Or (hopefully), is the car's computer smart enough to tell me it's time for a new battery?

When I need a new battery, I would like to buy the brand and type that gives longest service life. Still hoping for an answer: What should I buy?

Oops, do the charging systems differ between Gen1 & Gen2, Diesel, and not? I have a Gen 2 gasoline.
Ok, it seems a concern was not fully addressed in this comment, so I'll chime in on this old thread. The Gen 2 (all of them, note: while in a Gen 1 thread, the comment here is from a guy with a Gen 2 GAS Cruze) have the battery inside the passenger compartment, basically in the trunk. That means they MUST have and continue to have an AGM type battery (it certainly helps with start/stop, but that is not the only reason). A flooded cell battery puts out gasses that you do not want inside you trunk, where it's not vented. A failed or failing flooded battery will off gas even more than normal, and that again is a problem. All Gen 2s need AGM. Now on the Gen 1, the Diesel has the AGM factory installed, but under the hood. I think the early battery deaths can be attributed to heat under the hood. The big weakness of AGM is these batteries do not do well in heat, and especially being charged when hot, and there is no temperature compensated charging system in the Gen 1 Cruze.. so I think that is the issue. Also note the Gen 1 Diesel charging system permits periodic battery drain while driving, then rapid charging also, on acceleration or high engine load, it basically shuts off the alternator, then when engine braking, it spikes the voltage and charge rate. This kind of thing is something an AGM battery can do well, due to lower internal resistance, but I caution, a traditional flooded cell battery is not going to like this behavior, and traditional cars that had flooded cells run basically a constant voltage with a running engine, so there is not charge/discharge while driving. For that reason, despite the under-hood heat concern, I'll stick to AGM in my Gen 1, I'd advise others to do the same.

17,879 Posts
Ok, it seems a concern was not fully addressed in this comment, so I'll chime in on this old thread. The Gen 2 (all of them, note: while in a Gen 1 thread, the comment here is from a guy with a Gen 2 GAS Cruze) have the battery inside the passenger compartment, basically in the trunk. That means they MUST have and continue to have an AGM type battery (it certainly helps with start/stop, but that is not the only reason). A flooded cell battery puts out gasses that you do not want inside you trunk, where it's not vented. A failed or failing flooded battery will off gas even more than normal, and that again is a problem. All Gen 2s need AGM. Now on the Gen 1, the Diesel has the AGM factory installed, but under the hood. I think the early battery deaths can be attributed to heat under the hood. The big weakness of AGM is these batteries do not do well in heat, and especially being charged when hot, and there is no temperature compensated charging system in the Gen 1 Cruze.. so I think that is the issue. Also note the Gen 1 Diesel charging system permits periodic battery drain while driving, then rapid charging also, on acceleration or high engine load, it basically shuts off the alternator, then when engine braking, it spikes the voltage and charge rate. This kind of thing is something an AGM battery can do well, due to lower internal resistance, but I caution, a traditional flooded cell battery is not going to like this behavior, and traditional cars that had flooded cells run basically a constant voltage with a running engine, so there is not charge/discharge while driving. For that reason, despite the under-hood heat concern, I'll stick to AGM in my Gen 1, I'd advise others to do the same.
Automatic Gen 2's (diesel and gas) have an AGM; as the manual ones don't have stop/start, they are specced for a regular flooded battery.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Automatic Gen 2's (diesel and gas) have an AGM; as the manual ones don't have stop/start, they are specced for a regular flooded battery.
My manual Gen 2, Diesel, has the AGM from the factory, same as the automatic Gen 2s I have. If GM is putting a flooded cell battery in an un-ventilated interior space under the trunk, then they are doing something dangerous. A flooded cell needs to be well vented, and that space does not vent well.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
So out of curiosity I wanted to see batteries for the manual gas cruze, and low an behold flooded cell options do populate the list of options, but, there is a note on the flooded cell type batteries for this application:

"Battery Difficult To Install Battery, Professional Installation Recommended; CCA: 615; CA: 755; Minutes Reserve Capacity: 95; Without Start/Stop; Battery Gasses Need To Be Vented To Outside; Battery Located In Trunk"

So while it might be possible to install a flooded cell in the trunk, some kind of venting set-up is required, so be aware of that, or just use the AGM and you don't need to worry about venting gasses, as there are none.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.