Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

non warranty voiding mods?

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
was curious if there were any (or a list) of modifications that i could do to my diesel without voiding warranties. bov? intake? any exhaust mods?
ive only had mine for about 3 months and im already bored with a stock car lol, but im also not ready to leave the safety nest of warranties (especially with recalls flying around)

also, in another realm, has anyone tried a tuning box or having theirs tuned by a shop? im curious to see how much boost i can get from my little turbo >:)

thanks everyone!

#2 ·
Danny5 has his tuned and loves it, mind you it may void your warranty.

Gmpp products don't void warranty but I don't know if there are any for the ctd.

Most appearance mods won't void your warranty but the warranty on those pieces won't transfer to the aftermarket items.

Some Magnuson act of like 1977 or something prohibits a dealership from voiding your warranty if they can't prove the parts you replaced caused the failure.

#9 ·

Gmpp products don't void warranty but I don't know if there are any for the ctd.

Most appearance mods won't void your warranty but the warranty on those pieces won't transfer to the aftermarket items.

Some Magnuson act of like 1977 or something prohibits a dealership from voiding your warranty if they can't prove the parts you replaced caused the failure.
The Magnuson act does not apply to "modifications" that deviate from OEM specifications or improvments that are not legal under EPA or CARB. Any modification to engine performance that is before the converter is not legal. It just has not been enforced much, but CARB right now in California is going after the BMW parts folks right now who are are selling downpipes, intakes, or any electronic device that works with the catless downpipes. CARB and EPA are depending on the dealers to catch these things. The intent of the Magnuson act was just to prevent manufacturers from requiring you to use their parts to keep your warranty.
DO not expect this act to help you, and on modifications, the manufacturer does not have to prove a thing. If a replacement part you bought failed and did damage to the car (not a modification from stock part) then at that point they would need to prove that and that would be easy since they would have the failed part, know it is not original and have the right to send you back to that company.

#3 ·
Most if all mods to a car will not void a warranty unless it is proved that the mod caused whatever problem you have with your car. If you tune, the tune comes with a transparency mode so no one will know it is installed and as I said it is not a problem unless it is proved to the cause of a given problem to your car. Mod away.

#6 ·
The tune is the only thing you'll want to make 100% certain you have the ability to revert back to stock. Granted the Trifecta tune is a ghost one which means the techs can't tell the difference on the computer side. Aside from that good to go as others have stated.

#7 · (Edited)
A tuned Cruze is obvious if they turn the CC switch off. I still pull it for service just to have 1 less thing to possibly have a argument over. It doesn't show what you did to the tune but it shows the car has been flashed and how many times it has been flashed. I try to flash and unflash on the days it goes into service so they line up to dealership visits.

Yes, great example is ported intake manifolds voids warranty on the ported intake manifold if you go to dealership to get that replaced.

If you swap the eco 6 MT fuel pump assembly out and the new non eco fuel pump assembly fails, thats not a warranty covered item.

If you installed HID's and the water pump goes, Water pump is replaced under warranty(Dodge dealer jab)

#8 ·
I like how Trifecta gives you the stock tune data. This way before you go to the dealer, you can revert it back. I would also revert it back where I live for the winter (No need for extra hp and torque in the snow). If you go the Trifecta route, you are better off buying the Flash Cable instead of renting it because from what I have read/seen.. they are not readily available.. This way you can do it whenever you want. Can usually get a used one for $100 or pay the price for a new one.. think it is like $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.