Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! If this post would be better suited in another forum section, please let me know.

I recently bought a 2014 LTZ RS, with 36,000 miles. So far I am enjoying it! The fuel economy is good and I find it to be a pretty comfortable car. I don't have any performance mods but I am getting window tint and perhaps a couple other things in the near future. I have found this forum helpful several times already. First, when I didn't know what the ABS self check noise at 12mph was... I was worried something was wrong. Second was with the ticking noise that the engine makes... I wasn't sure if that was normal either.

So, I've searched the forum and haven't found a thread quite like this yet. Can you all share/let me know some more Cruze noises (or related things) that are considered normal?

My two other vehicles that I have driven regularly over the last 8-10 years (I am only 25) have been a 1988 Silverado and a 1999 Grand Am, which obviously have a VERY different feel from the Cruze (even just getting used to this newer 6 speed AT has taken some adjusting).

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
If you are referring to a general clicking noise, most noticeable at idle, you likely are hearing the fuel injectors.
They make a click every time they open (ecm controlled) and the sound is masked as rpm increases by their more rapid operation and general engine din increase with rpm.

Naturally, diagnosing sound from the written word is a crapshoot, so, you get a wag.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
The CRUZE makes an engaging clicking noise like unlike any other Car I have ever owned. I imagine it could be the Electric Steering motor?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
We could start one! I don't think we have a bunch of stuff all in one place.

Here's what I've got for gas Cruzens:

-Yes, your water pump will leak. Probably the coolant tank into "T" hose near the throttle body as well. If you see "AC Off due to high engine temp", stop driving around in it, pop the hood and look at your coolant level.
-Yes, your valve cover will go bad and throw a P1101, P0106, and something else. Do not replace your oxygen sensor.
-2nd gear grinds on all of the manuals. It's dumb. Fluids help somewhat; removing the clutch delay valve helps too.
-If your automatic lurches randomly at a complete stop, it needs to have its clutch packs changed. Most common on 2013-2014s.
-The thump at 12 MPH is your ABS self testing itself.
-If you have unexplainable and strange electrical issues, change the negative battery cable. There's an extended warranty campaign for this til 10 years/150k miles.
-Oil leaks at the pan gasket, camshaft seals, and auto transmission cooler lines are common.
-If your steering "sticks" in a notch when going straight ahead for long periods, there is a software flash to alleviate this. 10 yr/150k extended coverage.
-Yes, idle is clicky. If you hear something very loud over the injectors, the EVAP solenoid on the back of the intake manifold should be replaced. It's a $20 part.
-Yes, it takes a super long time to make heat on a 1.4 turbo in the winter. No, your thermostat is not broken. Best thing is to drive with heat OFF til the engine hits 1/4 temp, and then use fan speed 2 or 3. Full speed will drain all heat back out.
-Yes, they are dogs in the summer with AC on. Adding to this, many cars left the factory with poorly gapped spark plugs that exacerbate what some describe as "turbo lag" (it isn't). The correct gap is 0.028".
-2011-2013 1.4 models benefit hugely from 89 or 91/93 octane. 2014-17 less so, but more noticeable in hot temps.

·
2,254 Posts
-If your automatic lurches randomly at a complete stop, it needs to have its clutch packs changed. Most common on 2013-2014s.
*raises hand* my 2012 too! And it still does it!

-Yes, it takes a super long time to make heat on a 1.4 turbo in the winter. No, your thermostat is not broken. Best thing is to drive with heat OFF til the engine hits 1/4 temp, and then use fan speed 2 or 3. Full speed will drain all heat back out.
The Cruze is the only car I have driven where the temperature gauge goes backwards with the heat on (and not on full blast either)!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
-If your automatic lurches randomly at a complete stop, it needs to have its clutch packs changed. Most common on 2013-2014s....
This just started happening to me. Is that covered under Powertrain?

Not trying to hijack this thread. Will make a new one if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! This is super helpful and I think would be a good topic to start, especially for the people who are newer here or don't know anyone else with a Cruze (like me).

·
Registered
38 Posts
We could start one! I don't think we have a bunch of stuff all in one place.

-2nd gear grinds on all of the manuals. It's dumb. Fluids help somewhat; removing the clutch delay valve helps too.
Where is the clutch delay valve and how do you remove it? I started a thread on this recently and didn't get an answer, nor have I been able to find an answer.

You even commented in that thread, I now see.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-gen1-powertrain/175761-does-cruze-have-clutch-delay-valve.html

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts