Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to Chevys. I have a 2012 Cruze LS. I've noticed that when I coast to a stop, the car feels like I'm very slightly tapping the brake. I don't know much about cars, but it feels like it might happen as it's downshifting. I'll try to pinpoint it some more tomorrow, but it seems to happen around 20-25 MPH. I think it also subsides a bit as the car warms up (again, something I'll test tomorrow) I didn't pay too much mind to it because the 2017 Equinox I rented (which literally had 18 miles on it) did the same thing. The whole reason I had the Equinox was because my dealership was certifying my Cruze so that I'd have a warranty, which is another reason I'm not overly concerned. Is this something that is common in Chevys? Thanks in advance!

Amado

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
GM's 6-speed transmissions are a bit jerky when downshifting as you're slowing down. Other manufacturers are too, to an extent - Toyota and Ford transmissions are a bit noticeable as well.

Rather than unlock the torque converter when the gas is let off like old 4-speeds used to do, these transmissions keep the converter locked and downshift through the gears at very low RPM as you come to a stop. This does give the effect of a small increase in engine braking as you're coasting along and hit the next gear down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This makes sense. My last two cars were Fords...but a 2000 Focus SE and an 2002 Explorer Sport. I'm not used to today's transmissions haha! Thanks for the input!

·
10,712 Posts
This makes sense. My last two cars were Fords...but a 2000 Focus SE and an 2002 Explorer Sport. I'm not used to today's transmissions haha! Thanks for the input!
Yeah just be glad it's not a CVT, those are no fun at all. If you haven't found some of the service history of it yet, tranny fluid would be a safe thing to have done eventually this year. Brake fluid and spark plugs too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah just be glad it's not a CVT, those are no fun at all. If you haven't found some of the service history of it yet, tranny fluid would be a safe thing to have done eventually this year. Brake fluid and spark plugs too.
I'll inquire as to any previous service done on the car. It only has 36k miles, but it still couldn't hurt to check. I'll definitely get the transmission fluid, brake fluid, and spark plugs checked though. Better safe than sorry, especially going into the winter.

·
10,712 Posts
I'll inquire as to any previous service done on the car. It only has 36k miles, but it still couldn't hurt to check. I'll definitely get the transmission fluid, brake fluid, and spark plugs checked though. Better safe than sorry, especially going into the winter.
Yeah low miles but there is still age to all of those if it's original, especially brake fluid.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I first got my Cruze. I thought the brakes were grabbing at a certain spot while braking and coming to a stop. I finally realized it was simply the transmission downshifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.