Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting this unit.
CAR Multi Function Information Display OBD General Trip Computer Y01 Obdii Tool | eBay
Was wondering if anyone has had experience with one? I have an OBD 2 bluetooth thingy connected to my phone, and run torque off of that, but I would like something more permanent.
Doesn't say whether it would show boost or fuel economy though, which is what I am hoping for.
I know the boost off the OBD2 isn't the most accurate, but I like to use it to keep my foot out of the throttle.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Automotive codes have been a bad joke since day one. Only monitor if a component is completely opened or shorted. Not a darn thing in our vehicles that use a secondary reference, a component can be completely out of tolerance can NOT generate a code.

Have an open loop and closed loop mode, open loop during warmup that is suppose to learn from the close loop mode. The cheapest way to do this. Most emission control devices are worthless until the vehicle reaches operating temperature. If all the the emission control devices were within very tight tolerances, wouldn't have a thing to learn!

Every component can be tested for tolerance, but the attorneys got involved and are very sparse in providing this extremely important information because they don't want to be liable for warranty.

How much money is being saved by eliminating timing marks on a harmonic balancer and a pointer, at least you can use external means to make sure the ignition timing is correct. Use a CAS, crank angle sensor on a bracket that can be bent throwing off your all important initial timing. A scanner can only show this unreliable information.

Many states are reducing real emission testing just by looking at codes, all implicit information. Ha, when I first became an engineer, wonder why I never received a course in political electronics, sure a bunch of politics involved. Living in a country where BS dominates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Automotive codes have been a bad joke since day one. Only monitor if a component is completely opened or shorted. Not a darn thing in our vehicles that use a secondary reference, a component can be completely out of tolerance can NOT generate a code.

They use plausibility codes now to do just as you are explaining, setting a code when there is no short or open. They have been doing this for awhile and it saves the customer money as it makes it easier to narrow down the problem. Also a scan tool is by far the most accurate way to check ignition timing and guess what if you are out a few degrees you will find out in a hurry when you engine pistons bend your valves. No offense but come on can we please say stuff that is correct we are taking about NEW vehicles not ones built the 80's when all this stuff was relevant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was hoping to replace torque with something else, as I don't want to drain my phones battery with it.
Might be getting a Trinity tune now, so I can use that.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My smart phone will run forever as long as I have it plugged into a DC power cord.

See HarborFreight has a new one, sent me an email coupon for $99.99, promises to read all OBD II vehicles since 1996 and does show all ABS codes.

OBD II & CAN Scan Tool with ABS

One nice thing about HF, if you don't like it, can bring it back. Ha, is a store 7 minutes north of where my grandkids live. Looks like I will be visiting my grandkids today.

Yeah, some of the newer codes are implicit, but still need a shop manual to learn what causes them to be set. And then generic scanners tend to show generic codes that are not even in the shop manual. But with most, can reset the codes to see if they come back, does not replace knowledge of the vehicle.

And still the same line of BS, with not one, but two Chevy dealers, you ain't got a problem even though your brake pedal is going clear to the floor, we ain't getting any codes! Really didn't need a code to tell me my PS wasn't working, could feel it on the steering wheel. Drove like the ignition switch was locked, or almost as bad.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
No, not making any money off this deal, but here is that coupon if you are interested, just print it out.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would avoid ALL harbor freight electronics(and anything else unless you need it for one time use). Bought a cheap multi-tester there, something where accuracy actually matters and sure enough tested against my good name branded one it was off significantly. My brother also picked done up that day(besides an OBDII reader), sure enough his was off as well. The OBDII reader he bought lasted a grand total of 3 uses before it completely failed.

I now refuse to buy anything from the Chinese knockoff store called harbor freight.

EDIT: should add you can buy the wonderful Equus 3100 Innova from Walmart for the everyday low price of $99. For slightly more you can buy one that does even more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts