Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through some of the threads on this topic (through the search function) but would like to ask everyone's opinion on how the cheap scanners have been working.

Are they reliable?

And is there any benefit with getting one that is 65-100 dollars (believe the brand is scantool)

If there really isn't a discernable difference then I'd rather spend 20 bucks than 100 lol.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Bluetooth is smaller profile but most apps seem to have issues with them. I have a wifi version and it's slightly bigger than I would like but you can do a OBD2 splitter and hide it easily. I can't remember the app I use but can tell you after I get off work. Not sure what causes the issue but I tried to use an older iPhone 3GS and it constantly dropped the wifi signal my iPhone 5C does not. Great tool for resetting codes, checking codes among other features.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention it is going to be used in conjunction with my torque pro app for android.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I have no problems with my ELM ODBII Bluetooth with Torque Lite.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Awesome, I will give that one a shot, so much easier to spend 20 bucks lol, especially when I have tons of other mods to do :p

Any lag in the software while using that scanner?
There is about a one second delay. Not bad at all considering its bluetooth/wireless. Ill take a video clip and report back so you can see.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, does the one second lag affect the timing of 0-60 or any of those aspects?

Thanks dragon, another one for me to look at!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I use the same one as XtremeAaron.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Awesome, does the one second lag affect the timing of 0-60 or any of those aspects?

Thanks dragon, another one for me to look at!
If you're talking about during logging, no, just visually. Program still captures the data just a bit late.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're talking about during logging, no, just visually. Program still captures the data just a bit late.
Awesome, definitely going to get the cheaper one then!

Reactions: XtremeAaron

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Apple didn't implement the full BlueTooth protocol, so you need a WiFi version for any iPhone.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I ordered the one linked by XtremeAaron last night, should be here Wednesday and I'll let everyone know how it works out!

Thanks for all the help guys

Reactions: XtremeAaron

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't personally have one but I have seen reviews that say that it stays on after the car is off and many fear that it could drain the battery. Some have suggested just unplugging it, others have added an on/off switch. Just food for thought :)

Reactions: Austin9991
1 - 20 of 28 Posts