Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an OBDII scan tool that will read the error codes in the Cruze. Our diesels engine service light came on, and my Autel MS 300 scan tool showed that there was an error code but was not able to say what it was. The car cannot remote start with the engine service light on, so I reset it and was back in business. If it comes on again I guess it means a trip to the dealer to find out what it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered this one from Amazon, and I really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4258...TF8&qid=1407123816&sr=1-1&keywords=obdlink+sx
It requires the use of a laptop, but it has a lot of cool features. For an extra $40 dollars, you can get even more features. This sounds like a lot, but it is a deal compared to many scanning tools that only give you the code, but cost twice as much. There are some that you can hook up to a smart phone via Bluetooth as well.
Cheapest option of all though is to go to Autozone or the like and they should scan it for free.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
That's dirt cheap... I know a place those cables sell for 150!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I use the ELN Bluetooth scanner from Amazon and the free Torque Lite app from Google Play.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
If you use an iphone or ipad or Itouch I recommend an elm327 wifi with an engine link app. I did a write up on it in the project section.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I ordered this one from Amazon, and I really like it.
Amazon.com: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Windows: Automotive
It requires the use of a laptop, but it has a lot of cool features. For an extra $40 dollars, you can get even more features. This sounds like a lot, but it is a deal compared to many scanning tools that only give you the code, but cost twice as much. There are some that you can hook up to a smart phone via Bluetooth as well.
Cheapest option of all though is to go to Autozone or the like and they should scan it for free.
Ctheham-

Is there a list of GM Cruze specific features supported by this scan tool? Or even the Torque app for that matter? Most of these will read engine codes, but very few read body codes, and the ABS wheel speed sensors. I had a previous scan tool by Alex Peper www.obd-2.com, that could read 7 different control modules in the Intrigues. However, this guy has gotten into a bicycle accident, and hasn't updated his website in a few years.

I keep waiting for him to post new cars that his software supports, but I don't see anything. You would think with the Cruze being GM's first global car, he's looked into it, but maybe for health reason's he's no longer programming.

I haven't seen any details other than Engine data stream basics from Torque.. Maybe I'm wrong, but can you look at things like actual shift times vs. commanded shift times for the Automatic Transmission, and the pressures of the Air conditioning system, and the ABS?

He had a great tool with over 100 parameters logged to the data file for the older GM vehicles. If you find this Alex please consider a product upgrade!

·
Registered
54 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts