Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Well color me surprised, it doesn't have a ridiculously high compression ratio, wonder why they want premium?
The 1.8 has a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Saw the spec sheet for myself when my brother bought his 2012 ls. Fortunately I was there to ask that question as the salesman pointed at the 138 hp spec on the info board. He ended up taking me to a back office computer and brought up the full spec sheet for me to see.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
On par with most modern non-DI N/A engines.

I could see it helping with a heat soaked engine or low RPM power. Our Toyota has the same CR and runs slightly better on 89 than 87 on a hot summer day with the A/C cranked. 93 makes zero difference in that.
The L61 in my sunfire is 10:1, no change in mpg between 87 and 93, but a big difference in idle quality. I switched it as soon as I found out and two days later I noticed it no longer had the rough idle. On a side note, that car had a hole blown in the piston at 49k. I wonder if that had something to do with it

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
IMO old school had it right. Higher compression higher octane. DI though is a whole different ball game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts