Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 87oct - 85oct or below gives one horibble gpm.
I know 91oct - 93oct gives one awesome gpm.
What about 88oct-90oct (mid-grade octane) what is the gpm on that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
89 did about the same for me as 93 in cooler months.

Summer the car felt like a slug on anything < 93 so I didn't bother.

Thread moved out of appearance and into to fuel economy

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I started with running 89 in my new LT. Never tried 87 I knew from what I read here and my 2012 Eco. I ran the 93 one or 2 tanks and for one reason or another I got a P0299 CEL which has been dormant for several weeks now. This last tank I put 93 back in it again and already feeling the residual power and no CEL again. The car runs much better with the higher octane and will never go anything lower than 89 again.

·
2,170 Posts
Here in TN we have 3 choices. 87, 89, and 93. Going from 87 to 89 it costs 20 cents and you only gain 2 octane. Going from 87 to 93 you gain 6 octane but it only costs 40 cents per gallon more. Mid-grade is a scam.

My car throws a tantrum and pulls timing if I feed it 87.

·
10,712 Posts
Here in TN we have 3 choices. 87, 89, and 93. Going from 87 to 89 it costs 20 cents and you only gain 2 octane. Going from 87 to 93 you gain 6 octane but it only costs 40 cents per gallon more. Mid-grade is a scam.

My car throws a tantrum and pulls timing if I feed it 87.
That was my life even in winter. You ever stall a moving vehicle when Stabilitrac and T/C activate? Luckily when I got tuned it was worth that price difference. That and the Eco tank artificial limit didn't make it seem so bad.

·
2,170 Posts
That was my life even in winter. You ever stall a moving vehicle when Stabilitrac and T/C activate? Luckily when I got tuned it was worth that price difference. That and the Eco tank artificial limit didn't make it seem so bad.
I'll probably get a bunch of hate for this since I have the full 15.6 gallon tank and don't really take advantage of it, but I never let my tank run below 3/4. Usually I fill when it's just under half (Around 8 gallons). I do this for a couple reasons. Gasoline is made in batches and it's possible to get a bad batch. I figure worse case scenario I'll only ever have half a tank of bad gas at any given time. Emergency situations, I've been stuck on the interstate before for 9 hours, it was pretty eye opening. Couldn't stop saying "Well at least I have fuel". It was winter and very cold outside. Also I never worry about running out of gas. Ever.

Come to think of it, if I had the Eco I would have to fill up every 5-6 gallons in order to use this system, so I am glad I have the extra storage. I have run the tank down to the fuel light a hand full of times but I really don't like doing it.

·
10,712 Posts
I'll probably get a bunch of hate for this since I have the full 15.6 gallon tank and don't really take advantage of it, but I never let my tank run below 3/4. Usually I fill when it's just under half (Around 8 gallons). I do this for a couple reasons. Gasoline is made in batches and it's possible to get a bad batch. I figure worse case scenario I'll only ever have half a tank of bad gas at any given time. Emergency situations, I've been stuck on the interstate before for 9 hours, it was pretty eye opening. Couldn't stop saying "Well at least I have fuel". It was winter and very cold outside. Also I never worry about running out of gas. Ever.

Come to think of it, if I had the Eco I would have to fill up every 5-6 gallons in order to use this system, so I am glad I have the extra storage. I have run the tank down to the fuel light a hand full of times but I really don't like doing it.
For me it feels like I have a fresh batch of gas every week or so. when I do turnpike runs I would trickle fill it all the way past artificial. 615 or so miles with the needle on full for like 200 of them. In town the gas would get stale so I just regular fill it and live life. Current car I usually go to half unless I ran a fuel system cleaner in it.

·
2,170 Posts
For me it feels like I have a fresh batch of gas every week or so. when I do turnpike runs I would trickle fill it all the way past artificial. 615 or so miles with the needle on full for like 200 of them. In town the gas would get stale so I just regular fill it and live life. Current car I usually go to half unless I ran a fuel system cleaner in it.
My friend had to replace his evap system, he thinks it was due to excessive topping off, for my own peace of mind I stop at the first click now. Gas won't gel up if it moves around, if you drive every couple days you won't shouldn't any issues with separation. Even that usually takes 6+ months to happen.

Note: I also will run a whole tank out if I am using gumout fuel injector and valve cleaner, which I try to do about every 10K miles

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never really had the issues most of you guys speak of. I've run 93 in my daughters 13' LTZ, and it seemed to run a little better, but not enough to warrant paying 40-50 cents more a gallon. Her car now has a little over 75k miles, and other than a few tanks when it was new, I have always run 87 with no issues whatsoever. Never has stumbled or fell on its face. It is not tuned, nor does it get driven very hard either. As far as fuel mileage, she averages between 33-36 mpg, with a mix of city and highway driving. If I ever starting having issues that I thought were related to octane, I would switch to a higher octane, but so far so good with me. Has been a really good little car, never been in the shop for anything since new.

·
10,712 Posts
Never really had the issues most of you guys speak of. I've run 93 in my daughters 13' LTZ, and it seemed to run a little better, but not enough to warrant paying 40-50 cents more a gallon. Her car now has a little over 75k miles, and other than a few tanks when it was new, I have always run 87 with no issues whatsoever. Never has stumbled or fell on its face. It is not tuned, nor does it get driven very hard either. As far as fuel mileage, she averages between 33-36 mpg, with a mix of city and highway driving. If I ever starting having issues that I thought were related to octane, I would switch to a higher octane, but so far so good with me. Has been a really good little car, never been in the shop for anything since new.
it's kinda like spark plugs where the manual cars were more sensitive to the changes. Also, did she have the ECU recall done? That also changes how the car reacts to 87.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, ok, ok.
I've used everything but I got way better with 91oct so I kept going with that. Thinking about just going to 88oct & sticking with it. That's why I am asking what you all get for mpg.

Picture is of 88oct upper left, the rest are 91oct.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To get below those rpms 52 is the max mph in a LTZ RS Automatic! : ( It was storming the whole trip there & BACK!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm getting 36 mpg in town though which is a huge plus as most of my miles are within the city!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
57.8mpg I just had new spark plugs put in...so they must have been gapped correctly!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hrm. I have always run 87 octane in all my vehicles, except when I would take my car to be smogged. Maybe I should run this tank out and try 89 and see if my mileage improves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts