Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had my first breakdown in the Cruze today. Naturally, this comes right after I posted this message last night about how well the Cruze has performed over the last 4.5 years.

I was driving down the expressway at 65-70mph when a series of error messages starting popping up: service traction control, service stabilitrak, service power steering... I'm not sure if there were any others. I scrolled back to the normal DIC which was on trip odometer 1. The avg mpg disappeared and replaced with dashes, then the avg speed disappeared, and eventually the trip odometer started flashing and disappeared. Ok, this is mildly concerning. I kept driving. A few minutes later I hit the gas to pass someone and the tach spins up, but doesn't accelerate. I start fluttering the gas and it is acting like it's in neutral. I slide the gear selector from D to N and back to D, to no avail. Still driving like it's in neutral. Miraculously, while I'm still moving at a good speed, I come up to an off-ramp and take that into a suburban area. I manage to hit the green light at the end of the ramp and still have enough momentum to make it into a fast food restaurant parking lot. I shut off the car, put it in park and sit there for a minute. When I tried to start it up though - nothing. Well, the radio turned on, but that's it. It wouldn't even crank.

So I called the tow truck (estimated 90 minutes) and went inside for a cup of coffee and a snack. About an hour later I went back out and tried to start it, and it turned over right away and ran fine although I did have a CEL. I cancelled the tow and drove back to our home dealer who fortunately was open. I'm not expecting to hear back from them today, although the service writer said they would try. My wife picked me up in our 20 year old Toyota Tacoma, which will be handling the usual errand-running duties for now.

Anyone seen this before? The erratic behavior sounds to me like a loose ground (I hope) which I also hope will be easy to find. The strange behavior to me was the "driving in neutral" thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well bad news from the dealer today.

They say it was not the above service bulletin; they said the battery has been leaking, and damaged harness wiring and transmission control module (?).

I got quoted $170 for battery replacement 😳, ~$840 to repair wiring and module, or $1500 to be sure and replace the harness. More to come.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Well bad news from the dealer today.

They say it was not the above service bulletin; they said the battery has been leaking, and damaged harness wiring and transmission control module (?).

I got quoted $170 for battery replacement 😳, ~$840 to repair wiring and module, or $1500 to be sure and replace the harness. More to come.
Check with your insurance company. Depending on your policy this may be covered as a non-collision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from dealer. There is a crack coming off one of the terminals, and the fluid has been leaking down the battery, through a hole in the bottom of the tray, apparently through a wire loom right down to the TCM connector. I have yet to see the parts list that is creating this $800+ tab for the repair (not including battery) nor the hours, but the tech I talked to said he spent a good part of the day chasing down the 27 (!) different error codes. At first he said he cleaned everything up and cleared all the codes successfully, but then "wiggled the offending bundle" and all the codes lit up again. He pointed out 3 affected connectors. Obviously the situation I had with the car shifting into Neutral means the TCM was affected somehow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts