Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2012 cruze to the dealer today, I can feel the odor coming on the driver side for quiet some time - when i told the supervisor to check - they came back and told me the HVAC CASE has to be replaced with a new one. Looks like something melted down due to the heat. He said it will cost me $1600 to replace and fix the problem. ( he told me its a big labor work like he has to rip open the dash to replace the part). I don't know why that part melted and how can it melt down. My cruse is running at 41K miles, and i dont think i can get anything covered under warranty.....I'm broke now. Any suggestions and advice's i can get to get it fixed. I dont know what to do.... can GM take up the case?? How can something melt down just like that. Heater is supposed to heat not to burn down the car. :frown:

What is my next action here, is that a scam from the dealer?

I have posted this on the other forum in this page, but a generous person (blue angel) gave the below feedback and told me to post here.

Get in touch with GM Customer Service here on the forum. I'm not sure what they may or may not be able to do, but that's for sure your best place to start.

The "melting" part is the lubricant used in the HVAC case. Apparently some cars had excessive grease applied to certain areas of the case and it becomes susceptible to thermal breakdown. A new case should have the correct amount of grease applied, as well as use a grease that is more thermally resilient.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you do get it repaired, make sure to look close at the dash. Check for lubricant on the dash itself, it'll be white in color, and is super hard to clean off. They also may bend the dash, and create a small warped area.
Just a heads up!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you do get it repaired, make sure to look close at the dash. Check for lubricant on the dash itself, it'll be white in color, and is super hard to clean off. They also may bend the dash, and create a small warped area.
Just a heads up!
If they bend the dash it's because they didn't get all the screws and clips undone before lifting it out. Our dashboards simply lift out once everything is unscrewed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Any dash work costs two arms and a leg, how about 1,500 bucks to replace a 17 buck heater core? And not even done right more than half the time. Didn't pay that much for new heater core on a GM SUV, old one, perfectly good had a crack where the nipple was soldered to the heat core, soldered this correctly, but determined the cause of the problem was an unsupported heater hose connected to the engine that constantly vibrates. Made a bracket for this and it never happened again. Took the new one back.

Now let me think about burning grease, an odor like this should go away over time, what doesn't go away is mold, that has to be cleaned up. Only grease that should be used is on the hinges for the blend and mode doors, and just a tad. Outside of that odor, does your blend and mode doors work okay?

When I remove a dash, a whole bunch of connectors have to be disconnected, use a marking pen using a 1-1, 2-2 sequence, this saves a lot of time trying to reconnect all of them and makes sure all of them are reconnected accurately. Use a heat gun so I don't break tabs or end up with a rattle. Yeah, its a pain to remove the heater core box in the Cruze, but sure not as bad as a Ford so-called evaporator box. Have to recover the refrigerant first with these things, then flush out the system and start anew if done right.

All I can suggest is to get a 2nd and even a 3rd or 4th opinion. Did your Cruze ever overheat? Another relatively new problem with all this plastic and aluminum under the hood that never existed before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts