Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sick of the dinky horn the Gen 2 comes with so I upgraded to the Silverado dual tone set up. 100% plug-n-play. Only had to mess around with the bracket to make it fit and total time was 15 min to install. Now it sounds like a proper highway/Autobahn Cruzer... :smile:

Part # 94526131

Dinky OEM horn (made in CHINA)

Silverado horn (made in the USA)

Video clip coming soon

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice write-up!

I can't (yet can) believe they switched over to a single note horn. My 14 came from the factory with a dual note horn which is very loud and attention grabbing. You can barely hear those single note horns, lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the 15 minute install time include disassembling the entire front bumper of the car?
HAHA great question. Not the first time around as I took my sweet time. The horn portion did take 15 min to complete.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, I swapped the single tone horn out of my Cruze with a nice sounding dual tone horn. Sounds fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The part #94526131 is listing a horn for a cruze not a silverado. Did I miss something here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can this be reached from below rather than removing the front end like I have seen on the older Cruze? Thanks!
It can be done, but it’s a PITA. I attempted it at first, but the nut holding the horn onto the chassis was a little bit stubborn as the threads on the bolt will be covered in dirt and corrosion. I ended up taking the front bumper cover off. If you have fog lights, I think it would be much more difficult as well. Entire job took maybe 20 minutes tops after taking the bumper off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Matt. I do not have the fogs so thought I would try from below. Mine is a low mileage and relatively new '17 so hope it will be doable with little dirt and corrosion involved. I will let you know if I am successful.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,244 Posts
Thank you Matt. I do not have the fogs so thought I would try from below. Mine is a low mileage and relatively new '17 so hope it will be doable with little dirt and corrosion involved. I will let you know if I am successful.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Matt,

I looked underneath and it is a pretty clear shot. I have a lift so it should make it easier to get to. When you say you had to mess around with the bracket, what exactly did you do to it? Again, thank you very much for your time!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Matt,

I looked underneath and it is a pretty clear shot. I have a lift so it should make it easier to get to. When you say you had to mess around with the bracket, what exactly did you do to it? Again, thank you very much for your time!
Not a problem at all! It shouldn’t be too bad at all if you have a lift, I didn’t even have a jack when I attempted mine. Just a small ramp, so it was hard to get underneath the car. And it took me a little bit of finessing to find the nut on the bracket, but after that it’s not too bad as the horn and bracket come straight off after the nut is off. The only reason mike was so difficult is because it was covered in dirt and corrosion from 4 years of driving on salted roads in the winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Matt, thanks for the reply. The original poster mentioned he had to mess around with the bracket a bit. Did you and why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are several things not covered by the original poster including as stated he had to 'mess around with the bracket'.

I lifted my car and went up through the bottom. I also removed the blank fog light 'plug' to gain some additional access and be able to view the mounting area better.

Removing the original single horn was easy. The new horns and bracket setup did not work as the windshield washer tank must have been updated in my '17. There is not as much room as the original poster's vehicle. You have to reverse the top horn on the mount to gain more room, the original poster did this as shown in his pictures. After 'tweaking' the horn brackets, including bending the locating tab up and out of the way, I got both horns and bracket mounted but the bottom horn was touching the washer fluid tank affecting the sound. I ended up using the original single horn bracket by mounting it to the lower horn bracket with a through-bolt, moving the lower horn forward and away from the washer fluid tank. This also made it easier to plug the horn back in as the wiring from the car to the horn is relatively short. Make sure the bolt holding the two brackets together is very tight, use a locking nut, as you don't want the lower horn to come into contact with the car body.

I contemplated remounting the horns and bracket into a new location but the very short horn lead from the car wiring harness would have probably prevented that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts