Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an aftermarket fog kit on my 2012 cruze. they are wired and working. however i don't really like the switch that came with it which I have run the firewall and mounted on the dash. how easy is it to just buy the oem headlamp control switch that has the fog button. I keep seeing posts about literally just plugging it in but it can't be that simple. my car did not come with fog lights so therefore it's not pre-wired for them? i wired the harness that came with the kit. there is a 15a fuse in the fog lamp slot but I tested it and it is not hot. is it even worth doing this and how would I go about installing the oem switch what all additional wiring/work would I have to do?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/11-g...ior/197386-budget-oem-fog-lights-install.html

It worked perfect on my 2014 with the OEM switch and aftermarket fog lamps, no programming needed.
It should work back to 2011 cars, some early models may require a BCM reprogram to work.
I swapped in the OEM headlight switch with the fog button which plugs right in and connected the fog lights positive power wire directly to the correct switched output pin in the under hood fuse box for the fog lamps. Hook up the negative to a ground point under the hood. Start the car and push the fog button, viola.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/11-g...ior/197386-budget-oem-fog-lights-install.html

It worked perfect on my 2014 with the OEM switch and aftermarket fog lamps, no programming needed.
It should work back to 2011 cars, some early models may require a BCM reprogram to work.
I swapped in the OEM headlight switch with the fog button which plugs right in and connected the fog lights positive power wire directly to the correct switched output pin in the under hood fuse box for the fog lamps. Hook up the negative to a ground point under the hood. Start the car and push the fog button, viola.
so did you cut off the switch and relay like that post says? like I said i have it all wired and working now so I wanna be 100% sure especially before i start cutting wires. or did you leave all that and just run that other hot wire into it? I don't know a whole lot about electrical with cars so I wanna do it all right. the way I have it wired from what I understood and the harness I got... I have the clips into the lights, grounded the ground, ran the power wire to the battery, then there was another ground coming from the relay I believe unless it was the switch I don't remember, then there was another red wire that was open that powered the switch that I wrapped around the ignition fuse. this is what I was told to do. but I def would like the oem switch instead.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
so did you cut off the switch and relay like that post says? like I said i have it all wired and working now so I wanna be 100% sure especially before i start cutting wires. or did you leave all that and just run that other hot wire into it? I don't know a whole lot about electrical with cars so I wanna do it all right. the way I have it wired from what I understood and the harness I got... I have the clips into the lights, grounded the ground, ran the power wire to the battery, then there was another ground coming from the relay I believe unless it was the switch I don't remember, then there was another red wire that was open that powered the switch that I wrapped around the ignition fuse. this is what I was told to do. but I def would like the oem switch instead.

Yes, cut off the switch and relay that came with the aftermarket fog lights, and wire the positive wire directly to the proper pin (fuse 48 on mine) in the fuse box in the engine bay.

The only possible issue is you may need the BCM reprogrammed by the dealer to make the OEM fog light switch work. The OEM wiring inside the dash is all there and out to the engine bay fuse box. If you have the OEM fog switch installed you can test this by pressing the fog light button with the car running and if the fog light symbol on the dash comes on then you should be good to go. Also, you could test the pin in the engine bay fuse box for power. If it doesn't then you will need the BCM reprogrammed.

Using the factory fog light switch is nice because you cannot accidentally leave them on with the car off or worry about turning them off when using your high beams as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes, cut off the switch and relay that came with the aftermarket fog lights, and wire the positive wire directly to the proper pin (fuse 48 on mine) in the fuse box in the engine bay.

The only possible issue is you may need the BCM reprogrammed by the dealer to make the OEM fog light switch work. The OEM wiring inside the dash is all there and out to the engine bay fuse box. If you have the OEM fog switch installed you can test this by pressing the fog light button with the car running and if the fog light symbol on the dash comes on then you should be good to go. Also, you could test the pin in the engine bay fuse box for power. If it doesn't then you will need the BCM reprogrammed.

Using the factory fog light switch is nice because you cannot accidentally leave them on with the car off or worry about turning them off when using your high beams as they are supposed to.
Right. That is why I would prefer the OEM switch so I don't have to worry bout manually turning them on/off and have them go on/off with the low beams. I noticed the fuse box did have to fuse for the fog lamp #48. tested to see if it was hot and it wasn't. is this because there's nothing running to it because of the aftermarket harness and switch etc. so if I were to run the hot wire I have currently to the ignition fuse and run it to that pin instead and put in the new switch i should be good?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Right. That is why I would prefer the OEM switch so I don't have to worry bout manually turning them on/off and have them go on/off with the low beams. I noticed the fuse box did have to fuse for the fog lamp #48. tested to see if it was hot and it wasn't. is this because there's nothing running to it because of the aftermarket harness and switch etc. so if I were to run the hot wire I have currently to the ignition fuse and run it to that pin instead and put in the new switch i should be good?
Fuse 48 is switched on via the OEM fog light switch, it will only have power when the fog lights are "on".
Just need to run the (+) wire from your fog lights directly to the fuse 48 pin and install the OEM switch.
Make sure you have a 15 amp fuse inline as well.
I would leave it as is until you get you OEM fog switch and test it first to see if you need the reprogramming to make it work or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuse 48 is switched on via the OEM fog light switch, it will only have power when the fog lights are "on".
Just need to run the (+) wire from your fog lights directly to the fuse 48 pin and install the OEM switch.
Make sure you have a 15 amp fuse inline as well.
I would leave it as is until you get you OEM fog switch and test it first to see if you need the reprogramming to make it work or not.
ok I will have to give this a try then. so will this make them come on with the low beams and go out when I turn on the highs and vice versa? the harness that came with the aftermarket kit does have a 15a inline fuse

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ok I will have to give this a try then. so will this make them come on with the low beams and go out when I turn on the highs and vice versa? the harness that came with the aftermarket kit does have a 15a inline fuse
Yes, the fog lights will switch on with the low beams and off with the high beams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the fog lights will switch on with the low beams and off with the high beams.
Awesome! thank you so much! I hope i don't sound like too much of an idiot. just want to be 100% clear on what I'm doing so I don't screw anything up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.