Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

OEM Key Fob Issue

146 2
Hi Everyone - I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that originally came with two key fobs. Over time both fobs showed wear and tear until eventually it began to affect my wife and I.

So I purchase a spare housing unit. With the help of a more competent family member, we were able to get the circuit board out as well as change the key to the new remote case.

As I am sure you know where this is going... When I put the key in the ignition it states to service the theft deterrent system and will not start the car. The key will open and lock the doors as well as open the trunk.

What is really interesting is if I start the car with the other key fob, turn the car off, I can then start the car with the new remote fob (with OEM board / key). The car eventually states again to service the deterrent system.

I tried online ideas about how to reprogram the fob and nothing worked. Whenever I put the "improved" fob the car immediately states to service...

Truthfully, I cannot for the life of me figure out how the car knows I changed the plastic casing....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts