Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anytime I replace parts I usually keep the old worn parts and take pictures. Here is a picture of oem spark plugs after 55k miles. GM recently changed the interval from 97k to 60k for the 1.4L. They appear to be in decent condition and im certain would continue to produce a quality spark for many more miles. Is it really neccessary to replace the iridium plugs after 60k you decide.

This set of plugs are from miles 125k to 180k

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is a lq picture of my original spark plugs after 75k. I noticed the original plugs have deposits at the top of the threads but are clean near the bottom of the threads. The spark plugs I just replaced have even deposits across the entire thread. Is this just a meaningless obvservation or is there a reason? Im assuming its just the difference between a newer cylinder and one that has seen some miles.

This plug is from miles 0 to 75k

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have always used oem plugs which the latest updated part number from my dealerships gm resources for the 2012 chevy cruze eco 1.4l turbo 6sp mt appears to be gm part number 55585517 or acdelco part number 41-121

Here is a list of some of the maintence I have done in the past 2 years just to give you an idea for comparison. I should not have waited so long to replace the transmission and clutch fluid. Regular intervals are the way to go.

30k a/c not cold - warranty

40k cabin filter - engine air filter

75k spark plugs - coil pack

80k cabin - engine air filter

85k new oem goodyear fuel max tires

100k oil pan gasket ( leak ) warranty
-------------------------------------------------------
101k valve cover ( air leak ) out of warranty

110k transmission fluid - 58 oz

115k both 02 sensors replaced

125k spark plugs - coil pack

140k coolant flush

140k break fluid flush

140k front end alignment

150k cabin - engine air filter

165k transmission fluid - 64 oz

170k new oem goodyear fuel max tires

170k front end alignment

175k clutch fluid flush

180k valve cover ( air leak )

180k spark plugs

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow! 180k is impressive. Thanks for the list of service. I'll be replacing my oil pan gasket Monday because of a leak as well.

Looking at your miles I don't feel so bad with my 72,000 :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nice for all those miles.How does the motor feel still good and strong? Whats your average miles per oil change? And are you useing GM Dexos oil?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
They appear to be in decent condition and im certain would continue to produce a quality spark for many more miles. Is it really neccessary to replace the iridium plugs after 60k you decide.
Sure the plugs look almost new, but I would still change every 60,000miles. Changing sooner than the original 100,000 miles would help ensure the plugs come nicely out of the head, without any damage.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice for all those miles.How does the motor feel still good and strong? Whats your average miles per oil change? And are you useing GM Dexos oil?
I cant even begin to explain how well maintained this engine is. If I covered the miles and allowed people to drive this car with the exception of the 180k miles on the brakes the majority of drivers would except this cruze I drive to be brand new. The engine turns over every day the same as it did the first time I started it no hesitation and ready to go. This engine is such a well oiled machine its like wine I feel its getting better with age. Everything about this car is so smooth the design the ride quality the feel behind the wheel even my acceleration is smooth until I reach third and forth and decide I want to open it up.

Anyways I use mb1 ep replacing the oil every 6k. I have ignored the fire hazard recall for the past 16 months so I keep an eye out for oil where it shouldnt be.

I just want to say this vehicle continues to amaze me and im so proud to be driving a chevy cruze. I have no doubt if im able to stay on my daily route for the next 3 years I will reach 500k miles and beyond.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the spark plugs after 70k miles. These plugs are from miles 180k to 250k. I noticed they look similar to the previous set but still slightly more worn considering they have an extra 15k miles and a completely different fuel brand containing E10%. Im relieved to see these plugs dont contain any oil residue even with the amount of oil getting into the air intake.

Link to larger image http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/memb...5-oil-leaks-picture117738-wp-20141022-008.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Replaced the spark plugs after 70k miles. These plugs are from miles 180k to 250k. I noticed they look similar to the previous set but still slightly more worn considering they have an extra 15k miles and a completely different fuel brand containing E10%. Im relieved to see these plugs dont contain any oil residue even with the amount of oil getting into the air intake.

Link to larger image http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/memb...5-oil-leaks-picture117738-wp-20141022-008.jpg
Perfect burn......healthy engine.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts