Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

OEM Steel / Winter Wheels for Diesel Snow Tires

79495 139
Diesel Brethren:

For the past week I have been working diligently with my truly excellent parts man to find a steel GM wheel for our Diesel models.

First let me begin by explaining the factory wheel that all North American diesels wear. The wheel is a 17x7", 5x115mm bolt pattern with a 41mm positive offset.

I could find only three 17", 5x115, steel wheels in GM's vast repertoire. I measured and test fit them as follows:

9595657 17x6.5 5x115 52mm offset Uplander - Does not clear Diesel calliper.

9596578 17x6.5 5x115 46mm offset Impala - Does not clear Diesel calliper.

9598749 17x7.5 5x115 53mm offset Impala - Clears the Diesel calliper by 5mm but spins closer to the strut than stock. When combined with the .5" greater width and 12mm more offset the wheel is 18mm closer to the inside of the vehicle than stock.

So as you can see there is only one 17" wheel that could work. However with a rubber tire mounted the chance of interference is magnified by the 18mm greater intrusion into the wheel well. As a result I did not mount a tire to the wheel to test further.

This meant that I had to expand my search to 16" steel wheels that could work. Again, an in depth search of GM's substantial history of steel wheels resulted in only five wheels turning up with the requisite 5x115 bolt pattern. They are: 9595551 16x6.5 Impala; 9595560 16x6.5 Impala; 9595642 16x6.5 Aztek; 9595647 16x6.5 Impala Police; 13259235 16x6.5 Orlando.

As Orlando is a P car relative of Cruze I decided to focus on 13259235. It measured 41mm offset, identical to that of our factory wheel, and when mounted it had better brake calliper and wheel well clearance than 9598749.

So for anyone looking for OEM steel wheels to fit their Cruze Diesel the part number you want is 13259235.

When combined with a 215/60R16 winter or snow tire the rotational difference is only 0.58% from the stock 215/55R17.

I want to thank my long-time parts man, Chris at Tubman Chevrolet, who's ongoing patience and support were vital to the completion of this project.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Tomko, nice info and great work! When looking at the different wheel options did you check the hub bore diameter? That's important to keep things vibration-free if you don't want to get into hub centering rings.

Is it Tubman Chev in Ottawa?

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I agree. 0.35 mm (0.7mm/2) may not seem like much, but tell that to your wheel studs that now have a bending load applied to them. I would recommend staying FAR away from 114.3mm wheels unless you have them machined to the proper pattern. I'm not sure if that's possible with steel wheels, and if it was it would probably be cost prohibitive.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Thirty thousandths may not SOUND like much, but to visualize it just think about the gap in your spark plugs.

Er, since this is a diesel thread that will only work if you're familiar with gas. :)

Anyway, half of a spark plug gap is still a very significant offset when you consider the short distance over which that offset is is applied. As a quick and dirty guestimate, if the wheel hub and brake rotor combined are 1/2" thick and the wheel is another 1/2" thick between the wheel nut and the rotor face, that 0.015" offset equals 0.86 degrees. That's almost a full degree of bending on a 12mm (1/2") wheel stud.

There are probably people doing it, but that doesn't make it right. If you asked any Engineer they would surely agree.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
just a quick question, if i put summer mags on the cruze diesel and the wheel is 17x7.5 and offset is 42 mm is that ok with the goodyear oem tire 215-55-17 ?
Those wheels should work fine... as long as you get four. The pic shows a remaining stock of less than 3. :)

I did basically the same thing with my Eco; I'm using the OE forged Alcoa wheels with Michelin Xi3 winter tires in the factory size (same 215/55-17 as the diesel), and I bought a set of 17" alloys for summer use. My summer wheels are 17x8, a full inch wider than the OE wheel which is only 7", and the 215/55-17 GoodYear FuelMax tires fit fine. They are "stretched" a little more compared to a 7" wheel, but that actually looks a little better in my opinion.

As far as fuel economy goes, typically a smaller wheel will give better mileage (for a given tire OD) for several reasons. First, the wheel is smaller in diameter, so its rotational inertia (polar moment) is less for a given wheel weight making it consume/store less energy. Second, taller sidewalls generally offer lower rolling resistance (all else kept equal). We must keep things in perspective, though, and realize these are minute differences. For example, if a steel 16" wheel weighs slightly more than an aluminum 17" wheel, teh weight difference may make up for the rotational inertia advantage. It will vary case-by-case, and the differences will be slight in the grand scheme of things.

Generally speaking, winter tires offer much poorer rolling resistance than all-season tires do. Much of the mileage decrease people see when switching to winter tires has to do with the tire's construction, as well as decreasing temperatures.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
TD Cruze, I got my steels at Canadian Tire, and 16" Michelin X-Ice. Fantastic traction/braking, smoother, quieter ride than the horrible Michelin Pilot's on the 18" LTZ wheels.
I second the X-ice recommendation. Compared to the GoodYears the Xi3 is whisper quiet. So quiet in fact that most of the time I litterally cannot hear them, and that's on an Eco which has serious de-contenting in the soundproofing department compared to all other Cruze models.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
As far as I know, the basic design of the Cruze, Cruze TD and Verano suspensions is identical. The cars share the same platform and along with that, the same suspension design (basic struts up front, twist beam trailing arm with separate coils and shocks rear).

The calibration of the suspension between models is what's different. They all have custom shock and spring rates based on weight differences and desired ride characteristics.

The 115mm bolt pattern comes with the heavier vehicle weight and larger front brakes (like the Verano). The way I understand it, the TD was not part of the original Cruze plan and to make it work they used the heavier duty parts from the Verano which has more powerful drive trains and weighs more.

The sound deadening techniques from the Verano were used, absolutely. But I don't think that has anything to do with the suspension design. If it does, it likely doesn't go beyond using softer bushings or something similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.