Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I find that the problem buying aftermarket car parts is getting confusing simply because there’s often very little information out there as to what’s a too-expensive ripoff and what’s a too-cheap scam, but does it justify buying a pricey (OEM) part simply because it’s expensive?
Is there a thread on brands to avoid/buy for certain parts for our little TCDs? It makes me feel buying a certain "brand" like a crapshoot.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
I guess it really depends on the part, the brand, etc. That said: emissions-related parts, I probably would only go OE with how pissy the system can be.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,011 Posts
Right. But I'd expand that to all electronic components, go OE only.

Stuff like aftermarket shocks and brakes may not be as great quality but they will still work even if the quality is lower. Junk electronics either won't work, will fail early, or could possible cause other issues. I think they are going to be more likely to fail than OE, though even OE parts can be DOA (all electronic parts can).

Thankfully the 14 CTD still has OEM, or at least ACDelco Pro parts available for everything. But they stopped making parts recently as the 2015 is 7 years old now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Really zzp is the best and racer x Is too. Also any bad news racing products however they are pricy but over all are really a great products for the cruze 1st gen. Zzp is less pricy and helps on your build the best without a doubt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Generally OEM is a good call.
However if it's a high failure part do some research on aftermarket options. I'm not a big fan of dorman stuff but a perfect example is the lower intake manifold on the 3800 V6. Common failure around the EGR stovepipe. As of 2010 GM never redesigned the manifold to address that issue. However Dorman did by adding more material and necking down the pipe. The manifold issue was for cars starting in the late 90s so GM had over a decade to address it but didn't.

Same with the 1.4L turbo/manifold assembly. The OEM ones don't seem to last any longer than the aftermarket ones. Wastegate shaft wears out, housing cracks, boost issues follow.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
Right. But I'd expand that to all electronic components, go OE only.

Stuff like aftermarket shocks and brakes may not be as great quality but they will still work even if the quality is lower. Junk electronics either won't work, will fail early, or could possible cause other issues. I think they are going to be more likely to fail than OE, though even OE parts can be DOA (all electronic parts can).

Thankfully the 14 CTD still has OEM, or at least ACDelco Pro parts available for everything. But they stopped making parts recently as the 2015 is 7 years old now.
Yes, a very good point - electronics too. Being such a low-production vehicle, there really isn't a whole lot of aftermarket when it comes to electronics or emissions stuff.

Really zzp is the best and racer x Is too. Also any bad news racing products however they are pricy but over all are really a great products for the cruze 1st gen. Zzp is less pricy and helps on your build the best without a doubt.
Unfortunately, none of the above really makes much of anything for the Cruze Diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts