Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to the garage I go to craft the beginnings of a headlight harness!

All Delphi goodness:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty, got all the major fab work done, just waiting for m shipment of relays and fuse holders and 14ga black wire to show to finish it, but heres some pics of all the Delphi, 14ga TXL wire goodness for you halogen guys:
Relay control terminals. These go in the connector that will mate with the car, 18ga TXL wire here:

Mating connector to the headlight harness in car:

Control side finished:

Control and Lamp sides mostly done (waiting only for ground circuits)

This harness is being made from 14ga, it will most likely be the only one. I was looking through some GM documention for add-on wiring and based on my wiring selections, the draw from the bulbs, the max length of the harness, and assuming an average underhood temperature of 225degreesF I have decided future harnesses will be made from 16ga wiring. This will provide plenty of ampacity for the circuit, and will enable the harness to be easier to assemble. The GT150 series connections that the Cruze headlamps use are not intended to be used with 14ga wires (or 16 for that matter :) )and they BARELY fit with this high quality wiring that I use, standard 14gauge hookup wire would never fit with a seal, and probably wouldnt fit through the terminal retainer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How's the harness coming, maven? I'm interested in seeing it finished with the loom on and everything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My fuses and relay should be here tomorrow. I have a Cobalt retrofit and harness to build for a customer first, but I might find time to finish tomorrow. Otherwise over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The 14 gauge headlight harness I built for my Cruze is working wonders for night vision. It really helped with beam throw and side lighting. The headlights are almost as good as the HIR bulbs I had on my old LeSabre, and those were all sorts of excellent. I ran into the same problems you did with the headlight connectors not fitting 14-gauge wire well.

Maven, how are you dealing with the DRL? I took the wimpy way out and put a 470 microfarad capacitor across the low beam relay so the low beams are on full blast all the time with both the DRL and the regular low beams. It works, but at the cost of bulb lifespan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts