Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help.

I've been having lots of issues with my Cruze, and really wanted to get out of it. yesterday, I visited a local Nissan dealership, and they offered me a great deal on a brand new, 2013 Sentra.

Good payments, good interest rate, and good trade-in amount was offered. Told them, I needed to sleep on it. I also wanted to find out what you guys think of the '13 Sentra... 1.8L 6 speed manual, with Eco, Sport, Normal mode selections.
We just number crunched, and I really didn't get much more on the Sentra than I should of. I'm just looking for your opinion on weather I should do the trade, or wait for something else?

Thanks! You're advice will really help clear my mind!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Issues beyond a water pump, condenser, and battery?
Like what?

To be honest, I don't think there are any 'bad' cars out there anymore.....haven't been for quite a few years.....not saying different carmakers haven't had problems, but these are machines that do meny things beyond transportation.....HVAC systems, rather complex radio recievers and enhanced functions, multiple computers doing different jobs yet working together.
As a more traditional mechanic (read old) the late model stuff is amazing......but because we want a vehicle to be far more than just a means of transportation there are lots of things that can go wrong regardless of who made it.

The Nisson is probably just fine.......nothing cutting edge, just another vehicle in the grand landscape of automobileland.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
My experience is that if you just jump on a deal without doing the proper due diligence (like actually driving it) of all things considered, it will not likely end up being a satisfactory experience. Been there, done that, will NOT do it again. I jumped on a new vehicle once and ended up with 51 repairs in the first 15 months of ownership. I personally think you can do better if you put some effort into the activity. I looked at the '13 Sentra and it didn't make the top 3 on my short list.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
To give you my honest opinion...I notice you have an eco 6mt....and your considering trading in a car that gets terrific gas mileage and is probably one of the most reliable cars on the market today even though it has had some issues, which what car wouldn't, for something that wont get nearly as good gas mileage in the real world and isn't nearly as good as the cruze? Sounds to me your comparing the cruze to the wrong type of car for trade in and benefits. Even though your cruze is having some issues, those will be worked out. That isn't preventing it from being a bad car or anything, its just simply means the systems are having some problems mechanically and need "adjustment" if I like to call it. That doesn't degrade the car at all in my book. But hey its your choice man. Im not trying to beat ya up on it but to me, that's just a stupid and honest mistake your attempting to make. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Let us know what you decide.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I think its up to you. I personally feel the Sentra cheap compared to all the features and quality interior the Cruze had.

When my Cruze died I had to get a BMW because anything else would feel inferior (serious).

-I'm mobile-

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chevy, that information was what i was looking for. Straight, to the point, honest.

As for the other folks that answered, yes, battery, condensor, water pump, coolant smell, 4th gear rattle, slippage from the clutch in 1st gear. Air leak in doors, both front doors, h13 headlight connectors burnt, replaced, windshield will not stay clean on the inside, some sort of oilly film within a few days.

So, yea, lots of problems with this car.

I think im gonna take the advice, and see if GM is gonna fix at least the trans problem, and the coolant smell issue. Im willing to work with GM to get these issues resolved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Test drive that Sentra. Also, even though you're not driving your ECO MT the way it was designed for high MPG (too much city based on your fuelly account) the 2013 Sentras are averaging 4-6 MPG less on Fuelly, so be prepared for that. You might want to look at the NHTSA database for common complaints. Also, any on-line source of complaints will always show a car at its worst since people without complaints don't post nearly as much.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
These kind of post makes me sad. Recommending foreign cars because people think they dont have problems. Search nissan forums search subaru forums you will find the same issues with all of their models. But hey if the cruze you drive is having issues left and right then I would absolutely trade that car away.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Your time your money your choice ! Either way you turn you are still welcome to contribute here . Definately do the home work .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, here's the deal, I came from a 2005 Sentra, and really liked that car.. Its what I traded in for the Cruze. And that was just in March of '13.. The '05, I don't think I ever took it in to the dealership for any issues. It was a BASE model. with just a AM/FM/CD, and A/C.. nothing else.. But, once I hit the 120K mark, it started showing signs of wear in its 7ish years I had it. O2 sensors, and clutch (yea, it was a 5 speed stick). I was getting around 34mpg for the way I drive.. Not too bad.
This new one, did show 30/39 for city/highway. (its a manual 6 speed).
Was offered almost 10K for the Cruze.
I am still wanting to take the '13 for a test drive to see how it feels.. I drove a Versa, and almost rolled out of the flat drivers side seat, as it felt like I was riding on air, with no side support at all. Plus the fact it didn't have any center arm console arm rest.
it also had that CVT transmission, and didn't like it at all.. NO power at take off, and the engine rev was very loud. As soon as I made the first turn, I told my sales person, NO.. not what I was looking for.
The Sentra, it was getting 2PM, and I have not had anything to eat all day long. So, I wanted to see if they could just get the numbers to my liking. after 3 attempts, I was ready to go, hungry, and another offer was made, that made me really ponder the answer I should give. I still told them, I need to sleep on it, and was given till Tuesday to decide.

Its really, really a tough choice.. A car I had before, a car I have now, and still enjoy driving, even with its problems, but, how many more issues am I gonna have with it? Thats my biggest worry. I'm over my 3/36 warranty on the Cruze as well. So, that is something else I have to consider.

·
Registered
713 Posts
These kind of post makes me sad. Recommending foreign cars because people think they dont have problems. Search nissan forums search subaru forums you will find the same issues with all of their models. But hey if the cruze you drive is having issues left and right then I would absolutely trade that car away.
I recommended the Subaru because it is better than the Sentra. While all models have their issues some have less than others, some way less.
I don't know of any other car models that have issues unresolved for 4 model years. If you know of any let us know, I'm curious.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, here's the deal, I came from a 2005 Sentra, and really liked that car.. Its what I traded in for the Cruze. And that was just in March of '13.. The '05, I don't think I ever took it in to the dealership for any issues. It was a BASE model. with just a AM/FM/CD, and A/C.. nothing else.. But, once I hit the 120K mark, it started showing signs of wear in its 7ish years I had it. O2 sensors, and clutch (yea, it was a 5 speed stick). I was getting around 34mpg for the way I drive.. Not too bad.
This new one, did show 30/39 for city/highway. (its a manual 6 speed).
Was offered almost 10K for the Cruze.
I am still wanting to take the '13 for a test drive to see how it feels.. I drove a Versa, and almost rolled out of the flat drivers side seat, as it felt like I was riding on air, with no side support at all. Plus the fact it didn't have any center arm console arm rest.
it also had that CVT transmission, and didn't like it at all.. NO power at take off, and the engine rev was very loud. As soon as I made the first turn, I told my sales person, NO.. not what I was looking for.
The Sentra, it was getting 2PM, and I have not had anything to eat all day long. So, I wanted to see if they could just get the numbers to my liking. after 3 attempts, I was ready to go, hungry, and another offer was made, that made me really ponder the answer I should give. I still told them, I need to sleep on it, and was given till Tuesday to decide.

Its really, really a tough choice.. A car I had before, a car I have now, and still enjoy driving, even with its problems, but, how many more issues am I gonna have with it? Thats my biggest worry. I'm over my 3/36 warranty on the Cruze as well. So, that is something else I have to consider.
Sentra has the CVT as well, although I assume it has a stronger engine. The Subaru has one as well and although it is definitely loud it accelerated OK. Ride quality was very good, almost as good as the Cruze.
I would also say to try the Sonic, same turbo in a lighter car but it also has no center armrest/console which is pretty ridiculous, IMO. There is an aftermarket one though

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,546 Posts
I would pick a Civic over the Sentra. Better engine, better mpg (not quite Eco-level), better interior, more fun to drive, and extremely reliable.

When you say first gear slipping, does it sorta stutter from a stop a little bit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you do not like your experience so far with GM I would not go to Nissan. Being a Nissan owner myself (Leaf) I have watched with keen interest as they ignored the guys down south that were having battery issues for almost 2 whole years. While some people could barely even make their commute to work. Nissan did the same thing with the Sentra's transmission problems. Even their top of the line GT-R had problems which Nissan tried sticking the owners with the bill after they used the car in ways Nissan advertised..... The dealerships are nice, and my Nissan dealer is awesome. Nissan as a company though seems to have a track record as of late to blame customers for their own engineering short falls.

That is my opinion however, and I do not know the history of what is wrong with your Cruze. If it is safety issues I would definitely get something else. I just have no idea what I would recommend. Strongly recommend against going Nissan though. If you liked your old Sentra then it may be the way to go.. Is why I like the Chrysler LX cars cause they have never done me wrong. If nothing else try to carry over as little as possible and get everything you can out of the dealer. Taking my truck in for service a week ago and dealers seem very very anxious to do deals at the moment.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you feel you are getting a good deal and enjoy driving the Sentra go for it.

Your the one driving it, making payments, and living with it day to day. Yours is the only opinion that matters.

But... shop around before you jump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As others have stated, YOU are the only one that can make that decision.

I will tell you that I know cars. I research all makes & models all the time. It's my hobby

I have been legally licensed to drive since I was 13 (sssshhhhhh...I'm 50 now), been working on cars since I was 16 and have done a few things to make Dukes of Hazzard proud! I have been a car salesman and even had a side business helping people buy cars back in the day.

So, with over 30 years experience in the automotive industry, I've learned how to research cars and what to look for when buying them.

My 2012 Cruze was one of 11 cars that I considered.

I basically make it a competition when deciding to buy something, anything.

I researched car histories, reviews and even visited forums like this one to help me decide what to get.

I also set a ceiling on the amount I was willing to spend on a car. That knocked several out of the picture right away.

It actually came down to 3 cars at go time.

Chevy Cruze, Subaru Legacy & Kia Optima. All could be had with all options wanted for around or under $23k.

I test drove the Legacy (amazing!) and then the Kia Optima (LOTS of legroom) and then the Cruze.

Believe it or not, was actually leaning towards the Optima because of the looks and power it had. Legacy was a very close second.

So, how did I end up with a Cruze? Here's how it scored.

1) 2nd place in Comfort & Legroom = Lost to the Optima
2) 3rd place in Engine performance = Optima & Legacy have more power and comparable fuel economy.
3) 2nd in Ride control and handling = Legacy out drove both w/o even trying.
4) 2nd in Reviews and Owner ratings = Optima was first = Outsold Subaru 3 to 1 or outcome may have been different
5) 2nd in available options = Kia gives you TONS of stuff for the money.
6) 1st in available dealerships = While I knew about the waterpump issues, knew I wanted a close dealership in case of issues.
Closest Kia dealership is 12 miles away (dealership is not reputable) Subaru was nearly 20 miles away.
7) Best deal offered = Kia knows it sells well, not alot of room for haggling...Subaru doesn't sell well, so they also need to get the most out of their cars.

The funny part was, as we were looking at the new 2012's, I saw a white one sitting on the Used car side and went to check it out.

It was a 2012 with only 1,400 miles on it.

It was all leather, heated seats and remote start. While the remote start wasn't the deal maker/breaker, it was an added bonus.

The real seller was that here was a fully loaded 2012 Cruze (it was only April 2012 at the time) with only 1,400 miles and they were asking $22,000.

I compared an exact same car (new) with a sticker price of $24,595.00 with only 15 miles on it.

So, was 1,400 miles worth the discount of over $2k?

Well, I did a carfax on it to make sure it wasn't a trade-in due to an accident and found out it had hail damage. I looked the car over and found 2 places they missed when pulling out the dents. Otherwise, it looked fine.

I negotiated the car down to $21k even, traded in our 2007 Equinox and put $2k down.

All in all, we walked out financing $16k.

Needless to say, we will never be upside down in the car. Even now, just under 21 months later, we have 37k miles on it and was just offered $12k as a trade-in on a new car. But we are planning on keeping the car. Even after 2 waterpump issues and the anti-freeze smell when running the heater.

Anyway. Thanks for reading.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts