1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Cruze 1LT RS 1.4L with 90,000 miles
Replaced Throttle Body(TB) at 65,000 miles
PCV/valve cover replaced at 72,000 miles

I have no check engine light on and no codes show when using Torque. The car is losing/hemorrhaging oil.
Driveway covered in oil, skid plate covered, just a mess under the motor!

Oil in the PCV pipe/hose, TB has oil in it, the outside of the charge air cooler inlet pipe is covered in oil.

While car is running/idle if you pull the dip stick and place your finger over it you can feel it pulling in air.

Turbo oil inlet is clean with no oil or oil residue on it. Actually the engine bay is pretty clean till you look under the car.

Here is a link to some photos of it:
https://goo.gl/photos/UNzV4eEG3fAcmp7f9

I would like some ideas before I go to the dealer and if the possible issue will be covered under the 100K Power train warranty.

Thank you.

Randy

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,485 Posts
Looks like the check valve in intake manifold is missing, but that wouldn't explain all that.

I'm thinking the oil cooler, turbo feed line, or turbo drain line is causing all of that mess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The charge air cooler inlet pipe, should it be loose? I can wiggle it quite a bit. The hose into from turbo it is very tight but the other end in loose.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
For reasons not understood, when the manifold check valve goes out, the engine will start leaking at the seems.

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
For reasons not understood, when the manifold check valve goes out, the engine will start leaking at the seems.
Too much pressure - the seams are the weak point when it comes to relieving pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Too much pressure - the seams are the weak point when it comes to relieving pressure.
Probably. But what's not understood is why there's any pressure. Yes, the missing valve will cause some boost to find it's way to the crankcase, but it should just vent into the inlet.

But that does seem to be the observed pattern: if the engine is leaking, then the manifold check valve is gone. Observation trumps theory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 chevy cruze ltz, 85,300 miles, is also leaking oil. But from the cap. The check engine light is intermittent, throwing air intake turbo code. The PCV was replaced as well as the oil line to the turbo. I am due for inspection, which I won't pass. I don't want to throw money at it. I losses power when AC is on and we're heading into summer. Not ready for a payment though so not ready to trade. Hoping for a solution. Our for the check engine light to stop turning on. I don't remember the code.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My 2011 chevy cruze ltz, 85,300 miles, is also leaking oil. But from the cap. The check engine light is intermittent, throwing air intake turbo code. The PCV was replaced as well as the oil line to the turbo. I am due for inspection, which I won't pass. I don't want to throw money at it. I losses power when AC is on and we're heading into summer. Not ready for a payment though so not ready to trade. Hoping for a solution. Our for the check engine light to stop turning on. I don't remember the code.
It could be your oil cap is just missing a o ring. If it's not sealing right, it can set a code.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its been 2000 miles since I took the car in to the dealer (Jeff D'Ambrosio Chevy in Oxford, PA) to find the issue. They replaced the intake manifold, TB, value cover and cleaned it up under the 100K power-train warranty. No fresh oil on driveway and when I changed oil over the weekend it still had over 4 qts in it. This forum was great at helping me understand possible issues.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My vehicle was leaking oil from the oil pan and that covered the bottom of the engine. Then again, almost any leaks can put oil under the engine. lol

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Its been 2000 miles since I took the car in to the dealer (Jeff D'Ambrosio Chevy in Oxford, PA) to find the issue. They replaced the intake manifold, TB, value cover and cleaned it up under the 100K power-train warranty. No fresh oil on driveway and when I changed oil over the weekend it still had over 4 qts in it. This forum was great at helping me understand possible issues.
That is great. You just barely made the 5 years 100,000 miles warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts