Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing job sites at work yesterday one of the townships put lots of oil down on the road even though its been raining. My passenger side has it from front to back all the way up to the doors handles. I tried power washing and scrubbing with armoral soap and rag for an hour and make little to no impact?

-What can I do to get it off without damaging the underlying paint? Its a brand new car and sickens me to look at it.

-Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
You can use tar remover or charcoal lighter fluid.....neither will harm the paint.
Use a microfiber towel and gently wipe keeping the surface damp with the fluid and turning the towl often.
Don't scrub, the oil has attracted dirt and you'll mar the finish if you put too much 'arm' in the job.

Once you are satisfied that you got the oil off, wash the areas you cleaned with dishwash detergent such as Dawn.
This is the stuff they use to clean oil spill material from wildlife....in this case, you are removing the oily residue from the cleaning fluid from the paint.
Once clean, wash the entire car with any labelled car wash soap.

Since the process removed any protectants from the paint, such as wax, you now have to wax the whole bloomin thing but take heart.....a good wax job on a new car is a good thing.

You have a busy weekend ahead of you.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Diesel fuel with get that off lickety split ..
Ohh Ha Ha .. stay off oil saturated roads ...

Polish on those doors and a Polishing cloth ....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After work I stopped at Walmart and bought Turtle Wax tar remover. Sprayed it on and let it sit for a minute and wipe it and took majority off easily. Washed and waxed the car afterwards. Going to the dealership to pick up my touch up paint tomorrow, cars gonna be looking better then when I took it off the lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts