Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who may be interest here is the results of the first oil analysis taken for my Cruze. The sample was taken using a special pump through the dipstick. For those who might not know what this information means this is a good website to help you out. Engine Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy

2011 LTZ
Mobil 1 5W-30
5,000 miles on oil sample
10,000 miles on engine
53% left on the OLM
No make up oil added

ALUMINUM6
CHROMIUM0
IRON15
COPPER14
LEAD0
TIN0
MOLYBDENUM61
NICKEL0
MANGANESE1
SILVER0
TITANIUM0
POTASSIUM8
BORON42
SILICON8
SODIUM64
CALCIUM1115
MAGNESIUM627
PHOSPHORUS594
ZINC633
BARIUM1
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F57.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C9.43
Flashpoint in °F415
Fuel %0.5
Antifreeze %0.0
Water %0.0
Insolubles %0.2
TBN3.6
TAN5.4
I was very pleased with the results. Especially with the car being new and this sample being from the second change of oil for the car. I was expecting to see the levels a bit high figuring there might be some residuals left from the break in process. I was disappointed to see the TBN at 3.6 at only 5,000 miles but I guess I will have to wait and see what I looks like on the next sample. I have to travel for work so this car sees very little city driving and 95% of the miles are 3+ hr drives. I am planning on taking another sample when the oil has around 7,500 mile on it.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
As I commented on over there, nice UOA!

TBN is still serviceable, in spite of being down. I'd guess 7500 miles would be just about right for an oil change when the TBN would be indicating to change the oil.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Great information man! Thanks! I've been waiting to see an oil analysis on our engine although I was hoping to see it with the A/C Delco oil form the dealer which is what I've been using. I plan to test mine soon, I'm waiting for 7500 miles then I'm going to change it and have it tested to see if it will do the 10K or not.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great information man! Thanks! I've been waiting to see an oil analysis on our engine although I was hoping to see it with the A/C Delco oil form the dealer which is what I've been using. I plan to test mine soon, I'm waiting for 7500 miles then I'm going to change it and have it tested to see if it will do the 10K or not.
When you get the results let us know what you get. I have been planning on trying some different oils to get few comparisons including the A/C Delco eventually. I haven't really settled on a long term use oil yet. Basically going to see which one will give me the most bang for my buck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
No problem... I will post it when I get it. I plan to switch to Pennzoil Ultra after the next oil change. I've been getting free oil changes at the dealer for the past year but when that runs out I will do it myself using PU.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also posted on the other forum. I will be doing my OCI this week. I have QSUD in the crankcase right now.
Are you doing an oil analysis? If you are I would be interested to see what you get since that is one of the oils I have been thinking about trying.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
so manufacturers is what?
understand it is rated to 5000 miles

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I also posted on the other forum. I will be doing my OCI this week. I have QSUD in the crankcase right now.
Are you doing an oil analysis? If you are I would be interested to see what you get since that is one of the oils I have been thinking about trying.
I would be interested too since QSUD is all I have used since my first oil change.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be doing a UOA. I will have about 7,000 miles on the oil. I dumped the factory fill @ 2,580 (75%). I'm now at 9,500 (7%). I didn't reset the OLM.

·
Registered
589 Posts
OK Guys, here's the cold hard truth! I completed the UOA that I promised on the A/C Delco Syn Blend that the dealer uses and is the factory fill for the cruze. I ran 5500 mls on the oil and had it tested, the results are not favorable for a 10,000 mile run as my OLM tries to push me to. The oil was still good but almost completely depleted of the additives and probably wouldn't have made it but around another thousand or so miles before it was done. The TBN is one of the most important things to look at in determining if the oil is still usable or not, according to my information when it gets below 1.0 its time to change the oil. At 5500 mine was at 1.6. I also included another UOA from a Cruze that had run 6400 miles on the A/C Delco oil and it was completely shot.

In my opinion if you're using the dealer to service your Cruze and he's using the A/C Delco oil you should NOT trust the OLM, I would not go past 6000 on an oil change unless you have switched to a full synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil.

UOA Cruze 12-11.jpg

BlackstoneE57723.png

·
Registered
589 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have also consulted with 3 Chevy dealership service departments and an ASE instructor who confirm this, their advice was to stay between 5 and 6 thousand miles. One of them even admitted that GM is talking about recalibrating the OLM.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ran 2500 on factory oil went over to mobil 1 dexos 5-30 without reseting.... see where it takes me i am at 3500 now. should i get a breakdown when i take out the mobile 1??? if so where does the oil need to be sent?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you've gone to M1 I wouldn't worry about it till at least 8-9 thousand miles. If you want to get it tested at that point you can contact Blackstone Labs, their info is on the reports above.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I have to change my oil tomorrow. There's some Quaker State Ultimate Durability dexos1 5w-30 in there right now, and some empty Blackstone kits sitting around. I'll send a sample off with 7k miles on the oil and the OLM right around 30%.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How much $$$ is an oil analysis ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just took another sample from my oil (7000 on sample) yesterday and sent it in. I will be posting the results when I get them. Currently running Mobil 1. OLM read 34% when the sample was taken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts