Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a catch can on my 15 Cruze LTZ 1.4t. I run one on my Camaro ZL1 and I am always surprised at the amount of oil I drain out of it monthly. My questions are:

1. How should this catch can be routed? A diagram showing what lines go where would be a HUGE help.

2. What catch can is recommended on this forum?

3. I couldn't find a how to, is there one?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't think you can install one on the vacuum side of the PCV, since under vacuum all blowby is run through the head directly into the intake. You could put one on the boost/pressure side of the PCV. This line runs from the top center of the intake to the inlet of the turbo. I've read reports here of one guy doing this, but he later removed it, since it wasn't capturing much oil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you can install one on the vacuum side of the PCV, since under vacuum all blowby is run through the head directly into the intake. You could put one on the boost/pressure side of the PCV. This line runs from the top center of the intake to the inlet of the turbo. I've read reports here of one guy doing this, but he later removed it, since it wasn't capturing much oil.

Hmmm... Interesting. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Catch cans in this vehicle are absolutely worthless. In 15,000 miles of hard use, I did not consume enough oil to be noticeable. You'll catch much more condensation than you will oil.

Oil travels from the crank case into the valve cover, which is a baffled oil separator. It then goes back into the head, into the intake manifold. From the intake manifold, it will either (under vacuum), go through a check valve that exists in the intake manifold, or (under boost) go through a corrugated hose that also has a check valve at the turbo intake inlet.

With those two check valves functioning correctly, there will not be any measurable amount of oil consumption with this engine, provided you are using a low volatility (re: Not GM's dexos1 "synthetic" blend at 13%) oil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catch cans in this vehicle are absolutely worthless. In 15,000 miles of hard use, I did not consume enough oil to be noticeable. You'll catch much more condensation than you will oil.

Oil travels from the crank case into the valve cover, which is a baffled oil separator. It then goes back into the head, into the intake manifold. From the intake manifold, it will either (under vacuum), go through a check valve that exists in the intake manifold, or (under boost) go through a corrugated hose that also has a check valve at the turbo intake inlet.

With those two check valves functioning correctly, there will not be any measurable amount of oil consumption with this engine, provided you are using a low volatility (re: Not GM's dexos1 "synthetic" blend at 13%) oil.
Interesting read. Maybe I'll rethink this then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts