Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Cruze RS Hatchback 2017
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends ! ;-) I wonder how many liters of oil do you put in gen2 engine? I recently watched a video on Youtube, one guy filled in 5 cans of 946ml, this is 4.73 liters in total, is that how it should be? after all, according to the manual for the book, there are 4 liters, I always fill in 4 liters

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's not actually a picture of you putting a 5w-30 in that Gen 2 Cruze is it? it's suppose to use 0w-20, especially with modern vehicles ONLY use the recommended weight. But yes, 5 "cans" of those or one large jug is what's used

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not actually a picture of you putting a 5w-30 in that Gen 2 Cruze is it? it's suppose to use 0w-20, especially with modern vehicles ONLY use the recommended weight. But yes, 5 "cans" of those or one large jug is what's used
this is a photo from this video where the guy pours 5 cans! but he has a K&N air filter on his Cruze

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not upload AMSOil, I only use Acdelco dex1 gen2 Api service SP

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,922 Posts
2016-17's use 5w30

The capacity is 4.25 qts with a filter change. I usually put 4 in mine, check it, and add more if necessary. There's usually an open container around from the last oil change.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Nope, and nope.

16 and 17 spec'd 5w30. 18 and 19 0w20. Guess what.....it's same engine. My 18 had the 0w20 drained out and replaced with 5w30 before 3000 miles and it's never seen 0w20 again. (66,600mi and counting)

Capacity is 4 liters. I use a larger filter than the manual specifies, so I use 4.5 quarts, simply because it's very easy and I get 4 oil changes from 18 qts.(3 cases of oil) running the extra half liter as in the video won't hurt anything, but is technically wasteful, and it makes it harder monitor oil level.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Screw on.
Ah, OK. My diesel uses a cartridge.

Back in my oil change days during college, we used to sometimes play the "bigger filter" trick on some vehicles. We had an oil filter book with all the specs, so you'd have to make sure the threads were the same AND the bypass pressure was the same AND the gasket size was the same. Even then, there was a risk with some installations because the filters screwed on horizontal instead of vertical. For a horizontal installation you want an integrated anti-drainback valve to ensure the filter stays relatively full of oil for cold starts. If not, you get a period of time where oil isn't pumping under pressure to the bearings. That, and if the oil drains out of the filter to the pan you can pull the dipstick and end up with customers saying it was over-filled even though it's the correct quantity of oil to fill both the pan and the filter.

My advice to people was to go buy QUALITY oil filters instead of the cheapest orange canister Fram filters we used. Even the next tier up (I think they are "Tough Guard") from Fram is better than their cheapest. My go-to brand at the time was Purolator. After cutting apart a bunch of filters to check inside, Purolator built good filters where Fram were cheap.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ah, OK. My diesel uses a cartridge.

Back in my oil change days during college, we used to sometimes play the "bigger filter" trick on some vehicles. We had an oil filter book with all the specs, so you'd have to make sure the threads were the same AND the bypass pressure was the same AND the gasket size was the same. Even then, there was a risk with some installations because the filters screwed on horizontal instead of vertical. For a horizontal installation you want an integrated anti-drainback valve to ensure the filter stays relatively full of oil for cold starts. If not, you get a period of time where oil isn't pumping under pressure to the bearings. That, and if the oil drains out of the filter to the pan you can pull the dipstick and end up with customers saying it was over-filled even though it's the correct quantity of oil to fill both the pan and the filter.

My advice to people was to go buy QUALITY oil filters instead of the cheapest orange canister Fram filters we used. Even the next tier up (I think they are "Tough Guard") from Fram is better than their cheapest. My go-to brand at the time was Purolator. After cutting apart a bunch of filters to check inside, Purolator built good filters where Fram were cheap.
Yeah I used fram tough guards on my old car. Not bad but yeah, not the best. I've also heard purolators are solid filters. I mainly liked the tough guards because they had some added protection but that rubberized grip they put on the can made them really easy to grab a hold of and work with during an oil change. But when you're changing them regularly it really doesn't matter much. Just never put the cheapest thing in there and you're fine.

Honestly, it's pretty annoying with the cruze hunting down the filters sometimes. I could buy bulk but I live in an apartment so I don't have space for that and then I feel like I have a 50/50 shot of getting my filter in stock at pep boys/autozone/whatever. I've had to drive to a dealer a couple times to get them and then they 100% only have the pf64. I've tried to talk to the parts counter a couple times at a couple different dealers about the upf64r or whatever and they just stare at me like I have 18 heads. No idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Honestly, it's pretty annoying with the cruze hunting down the filters sometimes.
I drive a diesel so my experience is different. I stumbled across a price-match deal on the Walmart app, so I got about a half-dozen K&N filters for $5 each. I've been using them with the Pennzoil I also bought at Walmart because it's the only store I find that easily stocks Dexos2 oil.

When I use up my last stock next time, I'm just going back to the dealership for oil changes. It's $39.95 there and you get AC Delco full synthetic oil and their AC Delco filter. That, and for $10 more you get a tire rotation.

$50 is as cheap as it comes for both of those as long as I remind the oil change guys to recalibrate the tire pressure monitors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just did a oil change and filter on a 2018, the first out of a free warranty service, took 4.5 litres.
On an allied note, the last free oil change I had, the guy doing the change advised me the drain plug was stripped, I figured it may be a ploy to get me to part with $15 unfortunately I forgot to ask him for the old one, thinking it was a little scam.
But after doing the above change, I noticed it was a better type than the original which evidentally has a history of stripping.
T.W.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,922 Posts
The Gen 1 was a soft 10mm head, which did have a tendency to strip. The Gen 2 has a much bigger head with a Torx thing in the middle just in case you do manage to strip it, but I don't think I've seen anyone do it yet.

The plugs don't need tons of cranking down to be tight, and they sure don't need to be ugga-duggaed down with an impact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The new one has a Torx/Hex head, so If the original was as shown in the video, it looks like the wimpiest drain plug I have ever seen in many decades of changing my own .
I figured as all the few changes up to that point were done at a certified Chevy dealer and not some local oil-change jockey, they would know the correct torque?
Otherwise maybe it was a $15. ploy?
T.W.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts