Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ah, OK. My diesel uses a cartridge.

Back in my oil change days during college, we used to sometimes play the "bigger filter" trick on some vehicles. We had an oil filter book with all the specs, so you'd have to make sure the threads were the same AND the bypass pressure was the same AND the gasket size was the same. Even then, there was a risk with some installations because the filters screwed on horizontal instead of vertical. For a horizontal installation you want an integrated anti-drainback valve to ensure the filter stays relatively full of oil for cold starts. If not, you get a period of time where oil isn't pumping under pressure to the bearings. That, and if the oil drains out of the filter to the pan you can pull the dipstick and end up with customers saying it was over-filled even though it's the correct quantity of oil to fill both the pan and the filter.

My advice to people was to go buy QUALITY oil filters instead of the cheapest orange canister Fram filters we used. Even the next tier up (I think they are "Tough Guard") from Fram is better than their cheapest. My go-to brand at the time was Purolator. After cutting apart a bunch of filters to check inside, Purolator built good filters where Fram were cheap.
Yeah I used fram tough guards on my old car. Not bad but yeah, not the best. I've also heard purolators are solid filters. I mainly liked the tough guards because they had some added protection but that rubberized grip they put on the can made them really easy to grab a hold of and work with during an oil change. But when you're changing them regularly it really doesn't matter much. Just never put the cheapest thing in there and you're fine.

Honestly, it's pretty annoying with the cruze hunting down the filters sometimes. I could buy bulk but I live in an apartment so I don't have space for that and then I feel like I have a 50/50 shot of getting my filter in stock at pep boys/autozone/whatever. I've had to drive to a dealer a couple times to get them and then they 100% only have the pf64. I've tried to talk to the parts counter a couple times at a couple different dealers about the upf64r or whatever and they just stare at me like I have 18 heads. No idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dude it has nothing to do with the bolt. This is very clearly user error. A drain bolt is a drain bolt. You tighten it until it's snug.

Just changed mine over thanksgiving. No pf64 in stock (you'd think I'd learn my lesson by now and order some haha) so used the mobil 1 equivalent for the first time. Looked like an oil filter!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.