Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
That's not actually a picture of you putting a 5w-30 in that Gen 2 Cruze is it? it's suppose to use 0w-20, especially with modern vehicles ONLY use the recommended weight. But yes, 5 "cans" of those or one large jug is what's used
Nope, and nope.

16 and 17 spec'd 5w30. 18 and 19 0w20. Guess what.....it's same engine. My 18 had the 0w20 drained out and replaced with 5w30 before 3000 miles and it's never seen 0w20 again. (66,600mi and counting)

Capacity is 4 liters. I use a larger filter than the manual specifies, so I use 4.5 quarts, simply because it's very easy and I get 4 oil changes from 18 qts.(3 cases of oil) running the extra half liter as in the video won't hurt anything, but is technically wasteful, and it makes it harder monitor oil level.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
It's the techs fault. These drain bolts have a 10mm head because they are only meant to to be tightened to 14nm. (About 10lbft..) this is NOT very tight, it's less force than "snug" with a typical modern long reach ratchet or wrench is. Also removing using 12 point sockets on them exacerbates the issue of them being over tightened and easily strips the heads

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
The drain plug on my '17 is a 15mm hex head with the intergrated and replaceable O-ring. There's no torx socket either. It also appears to be steel with some anti-corrosion plating. My particular car would have been on the lot when the TSB came out for the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil replacement so maybe the dealer changed the drain plug from the more problematic factory one?

Considering the the lower pan that the oil plug screws into is stamped steel, I'd figure if you decently snugged it down, even reasonably over its 14nm rating, it's not going to have any negative effect... unless the engineering and execution of the pan and plug are really screwed up. Unfortunately with GM that looks like what might have happened with certain drain plugs.
No, you have an LE2 it came with the 15mm hex plug, and a steel pan, they don't have the issues the earlier Cruzes with alloy pans and 10mm hex did

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
why is this the weirdest stuff to buy? my friend works for them and its all i use in my camaro but the race oil...its some of the best out there on the market
Their race oil may be, but that 0w20 swill seems like just a run of the mill Dexos. They don't even claim a specific NOACK, just ">13%". Well it HAS to be less than 13 or it can't be Dexos. It's also listed as an SN+ spec, SP is the current spec. And of you're paying anywhere near $8 a quart there's many oils with better NOACK that are Dexos.

It's also not listed on the Dexos site, but it clearly wears a Dexos logo on the bottle. Who wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
i used the 5w30 torco sx8 well see how it does but has to be better than the oem gm synthetic mix they normally use at the dealer
As Barry mentioned, ACDelco D1G2 is full synthetic. I'd be calling up Torco and asking what their Dexos license # is, or seeing if it's on the bottle and verifying it's still a current license before I ran that too long. Since on paper it doesn't seem like an oil with desirable traits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.