Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just did a oil change and filter on a 2018, the first out of a free warranty service, took 4.5 litres.
On an allied note, the last free oil change I had, the guy doing the change advised me the drain plug was stripped, I figured it may be a ploy to get me to part with $15 unfortunately I forgot to ask him for the old one, thinking it was a little scam.
But after doing the above change, I noticed it was a better type than the original which evidentally has a history of stripping.
T.W.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The new one has a Torx/Hex head, so If the original was as shown in the video, it looks like the wimpiest drain plug I have ever seen in many decades of changing my own .
I figured as all the few changes up to that point were done at a certified Chevy dealer and not some local oil-change jockey, they would know the correct torque?
Otherwise maybe it was a $15. ploy?
T.W.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Two quotes from another site!
T.W..

"Work at a GM dealership, we replace AT LEAST 3-4 of these a week. Don't get to angry with your mechanic, probably wasn't his fault, it's GM's fault."

" Not the oil guys fault. Worlds most POS oil plug that is ALWAYS stripped. Blame the gm engineers".

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's the techs fault. These drain bolts have a 10mm head because they are only meant to to be tightened to 14nm.
Well I much prefer the after-market version with the torx/socket head, having changed my own for more decades than I care to remember, I have never come across a drain plug that was close to being stripped, by looking at some of the YouTube videos on it, the originals don't last that long at all.
Very puny looking!
Plus if tightening to the spec, just as easy to use a torque wrench on a decent socket head.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't agree!
When a 1y 2y old auto has sheared drain plug heads when the service is done by a dealership and one dealer ship alone admits they change/replace up to 4 a week, something is wrong!
The after market replacement is like night and day in appearance!

1 - 7 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.