Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Two quotes from another site!
T.W..

"Work at a GM dealership, we replace AT LEAST 3-4 of these a week. Don't get to angry with your mechanic, probably wasn't his fault, it's GM's fault."

" Not the oil guys fault. Worlds most POS oil plug that is ALWAYS stripped. Blame the gm engineers".

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It's the techs fault. These drain bolts have a 10mm head because they are only meant to to be tightened to 14nm. (About 10lbft..) this is NOT very tight, it's less force than "snug" with a typical modern long reach ratchet or wrench is. Also removing using 12 point sockets on them exacerbates the issue of them being over tightened and easily strips the heads

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's the techs fault. These drain bolts have a 10mm head because they are only meant to to be tightened to 14nm.
Well I much prefer the after-market version with the torx/socket head, having changed my own for more decades than I care to remember, I have never come across a drain plug that was close to being stripped, by looking at some of the YouTube videos on it, the originals don't last that long at all.
Very puny looking!
Plus if tightening to the spec, just as easy to use a torque wrench on a decent socket head.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dude it has nothing to do with the bolt. This is very clearly user error. A drain bolt is a drain bolt. You tighten it until it's snug.

Just changed mine over thanksgiving. No pf64 in stock (you'd think I'd learn my lesson by now and order some haha) so used the mobil 1 equivalent for the first time. Looked like an oil filter!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't agree!
When a 1y 2y old auto has sheared drain plug heads when the service is done by a dealership and one dealer ship alone admits they change/replace up to 4 a week, something is wrong!
The after market replacement is like night and day in appearance!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,928 Posts
Are we talking about a Gen 1 bolt or a Gen 2?

The Gen 2 has a MUCH bigger head on it than the 10mm Gen 1 (and a Torx socket if you mess that up), and I don't honestly see how you could strip the thing unless you're hammering the thing down with an impact like there's no tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The one I have is a 2yr old gen 2, it had the puny head version, the replacement had the Torx-Hex head version.
Great improvement.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,928 Posts
The one I have is a 2yr old gen 2, it had the puny head version, the replacement had the Torx-Hex head version.
Great improvement.
Interesting considering mine's the first production year (and bought new).

·
Registered
19 Posts
The drain plug on my '17 is a 15mm hex head with the intergrated and replaceable O-ring. There's no torx socket either. It also appears to be steel with some anti-corrosion plating. My particular car would have been on the lot when the TSB came out for the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil replacement so maybe the dealer changed the drain plug from the more problematic factory one?

Considering the the lower pan that the oil plug screws into is stamped steel, I'd figure if you decently snugged it down, even reasonably over its 14nm rating, it's not going to have any negative effect... unless the engineering and execution of the pan and plug are really screwed up. Unfortunately with GM that looks like what might have happened with certain drain plugs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
gonna use this stuff tomorrow car has 85k now gonna try some 91 tomorrow and some lucas injector cleaner also!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts