Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently sitting at 52K miles, and at 46K I changed the oil to AMSOIL with an A\C Delco filter. The oil life percentage is at 3% now. How far has anyone here gone on AMSOIL? Using their oil in my prior gas or diesel trucks, I'd routinely push 15,000 miles on one change, with nothing negative to show in the oil analysis results.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I am on Amsoil. I get the oil analyzed about every 13,000 miles. I am at about 30,000 miles on this oil. The last sample was still at level 1, which is the best rating. I change filters after a "good" sample reading.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,712 Posts
The oil life monitor doesn't use the quality of the oil to determine the life. I have to reset mine when it starts giving the warnings.

Yes, either reset it or just clear the message upon start up and reset when you actually change it. If you have an active OnStar account a red X is marked on the miles whenever you reset it. It's apart of the online stats not shown in the mobile app.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
After getting several oil analyses done, I determined that 15K miles is a good interval. I basically reset the OLM and run through it twice before I change oil. Still zero noticeable oil consumption close to 200K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am on Amsoil. I get the oil analyzed about every 13,000 miles. I am at about 30,000 miles on this oil. The last sample was still at level 1, which is the best rating. I change filters after a "good" sample reading.

Interesting. When I got my oil tested, the tests showed some abrasion after about 18K miles, that was why I backed down to 15K.

Here's where I posted details:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...ssion/48818-oil-testing-anayslis-diesels.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally agree on the oil life indicator. It does provide a useful tool to see how you are driving over the past few thousand miles though.

30k is definitely the longest I've heard of. I may just get it tested now and then see what they say. Would love to push it out that far, if the oil holds up.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,787 Posts
I usually run my Mobil 1/AC Delco filter on the Cobalt to about 10,000 miles - but this being a diesel/direct injection, who knows.

I've been wanting to switch to synthetic here for a bit, but haven't had the time to take care of changing the oil on this car myself (since I'll have to "learn" a new car), so I've been having the dealer do it - also because they do it for so cheap ($40 for Dexos2).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It depends is the best answer....With a lot of short tripping/idling/interrupted regens fuel dilution will get you.

The people going with the big intervals are putting on real miles.

7,500mi is my max confirmed with UOA because of fuel dilution due to my driving habits.

·
Administrator
15,723 Posts
Interesting. When I got my oil tested, the tests showed some abrasion after about 18K miles, that was why I backed down to 15K.

Here's where I posted details:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...ssion/48818-oil-testing-anayslis-diesels.html
Bear in mind we have people going MUCH longer on diesel oils in other diesel engines than even 18k. I wonder if that analysis report was an outlier. Just saying; if the filtration is up to par, and the oil didn't oxidize, you should be good to go.

It depends is the best answer....With a lot of short tripping/idling/interrupted regens fuel dilution will get you.

The people going with the big intervals are putting on real miles.

7,500mi is my max confirmed with UOA because of fuel dilution due to my driving habits.
We see very high levels of fuel dilution in big rigs and other light diesel trucks. It never really leaves any cause for concern unless it gets above around 5%. As long as the wear metals are low, you won't have a problem. Your fuel dilution is likely setting in very early; I'll bet you'd see significant fuel dilution even at half that interval.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The oil capacity is around 4.5 quarts, to each his or her own, the engine costs around $5000 plus labor to replace. Amsoil for all I read is some of the very best oil on the market, I see little reason to run for more than 15k miles, the cost of sending oil in to determine how its doing is close to the cost of just replacing the oil. Filtration I would expect is very important, the AC Delco filter is probably designed for the oil life monitor not 15-30k miles. If I had the desire to drive that long on the oil I would be changing the filter more often. I don't currently drive enough miles in a given year to worry about extended intervals, 18k miles or so.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
The oil capacity is around 4.5 quarts, to each his or her own, the engine costs around $5000 plus labor to replace. Amsoil for all I read is some of the very best oil on the market, I see little reason to run for more than 15k miles, the cost of sending oil in to determine how its doing is close to the cost of just replacing the oil. Filtration I would expect is very important, the AC Delco filter is probably designed for the oil life monitor not 15-30k miles. If I had the desire to drive that long on the oil I would be changing the filter more often. I don't currently drive enough miles in a given year to worry about extended intervals, 18k miles or so.
Not to mention that even their rated intervals are for 15K or ONE YEAR, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Totally agree on the oil life indicator. It does provide a useful tool to see how you are driving over the past few thousand miles though.

30k is definitely the longest I've heard of. I may just get it tested now and then see what they say. Would love to push it out that far, if the oil holds up.
Why? Oil changes are cheap! About as cheap as taking a sample and sending it off. Good insurance in IMO and you dont have to argue with GM about a 30k OCI if something goes wrong....

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Why? Oil changes are cheap! About as cheap as taking a sample and sending it off. Good insurance in IMO and you dont have to argue with GM about a 30k OCI if something goes wrong....
There is no real advantage to what I am doing. I still go to the dealer every 3 months for filter changes, oil sample and tire rotations that are about the same price if I had the oil changed. I also have to pay to send the sample in. There is no cost or time savings in my technique. I just enjoy doing it this way.

Like I've shown before, the emissions delete is not a cost effective modification either. It was going to take an absurd amount of miles to save enough in fuel costs to break even on the cost of the mod.

Somethings I do just to make me happy and not for any other reason.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
They are not that cheap in the diesel.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
They are not that cheap in the diesel.
To do it yourself is appx $50-60, at my Chevy dealer $75-90, I will probably just do my own.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd rather do it once a year than twice or three times. Don't get me wrong-I love working on my Cruze- but if analysis shows I can push my OCI to 15,000 or 20,000 miles, I definitely will. 2 oil changes saved = several tanks of diesel, or a cheap air intake, etc.

·
Registered
791 Posts
bingo!!! exactly........oil change is cheap maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,787 Posts
To do it yourself is appx $50-60, at my Chevy dealer $75-90, I will probably just do my own.
Our dealer does CTD oil changes for $40, which is what has made it hard for me to pick out a synthetic to do myself - too **** convenient and cheap (and I already have three other cars I do the oil changes on myself).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts