Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

oil change interval

16913 Views 22 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Aussie
The manual says 7500 miles is this in spec with the info center that counts our percentage left
Does everybody change oil at this recommended mileage or have they gone further with oil analysis.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
No they do not test TBN this is a new company used by Scheaffer Oil Co. They used to do the testing themselves never have had a TBN but they have always tested for fuel.
If you don't have a TBN how will you know that the oil is still viable?

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
I've frankly never known a single person of all the gear heads I know who have ever had an oil related failure of any kind period that wasn't related to complete negligence such as never changing it period or having a vehicle burn oil to the point it runs out lol.
You know what, on reflection I'm in the very same boat. From 1980 through to today I can't think of anyone in my circle who lost an engine that wasn't through negligence.

My father had a very rare small block V6 that developed a problem at the wrist pin or crankshaft. We all know the venerable 4.3 V6 small block that launched in 1985, but the very first V6 small block was a 3.3 (200 cui) displacement in 1978 and my father had one. In 1980 he took it in to the base garage for what was called a "tune-up". He probably saved $20 instead of going to the dealer. Well these grease monkeys replaced the four inch tall air cleaner with one only two inches tall. It took over a year to discover this dumb-headed move and all that time ingesting ash from Mount St. Helens. Plus whatever crap oil they used varnished the dipstick with a permanent oil reading.

In some of my first moves as a Gearhead I dumped solvent through the intake and crankcase cleaner in the oil. I did a half-dozen 50 mile oil changes to clear the oil system, but the damage was done. 40,000 miles later a connecting rod loosened up at the wrist pin or crankshaft. He sold the car to a garage friend for $200. He rebuilt the engine and his youngest son drove the car for another four years or so.

That $20 saved by not going to the dealer cost easily 100 times that. Since then all of his cars have been dealer serviced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.